SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
destiny_gardener

Help! Will a metal trellis grill my plants?

destiny_gardener
16 years ago

Hello all from 8b, hot north Florida but NOT like south Florida! I am in the process of constructing my SFG. I have decided to use an 84" tall metal trellis I purchased from Walmart for aesthetic purposes. Since I am afraid my metal trellis will grill my tomato and cucumber plants, I am thinking about tying the main stem in a strip of fabric and hang them from the trellis. I hope this will give some added color to the garden, as well as protecting my babies! Does anyone know if this will work??? I am concerned about the stability as well, so it is an experiment. However, I can say, since my native soil is mostly sand, it feels like I am inserting the stakes into moist cement, so they seem to be very sturdy. However....a hurricane might just bring them down!

Also, does a trellis usually feel sturdy until all the fruit starts coming in? I have only grown tomatoes on stakes and have no experience with this trellis thing! HELP??? View the trellis at You Tube " Donna's Square Foot Garden Part 2"

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County