SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
markinseattle

First Attempt & Question

markinseattle
16 years ago

Hello yâÂÂall,

I just decided to convert a bit of the back of my garden to veggies and happened to stumble into this forum. SFG seemed to fit the bill for me as my space is limited. (Or at least the space I am willing to devote to it.) I ran out, got some materials and ended up with two 3âÂÂx4âÂÂx12â boxes. I will fill them with displaced soil from the area, a sheet of weed barrier and then about 8â of âÂÂMelâÂÂs MixâÂÂ. They will be oriented North-South. Full summer sun in this area is from about 10am till about 7pm. Tree shaded before and after. As of March 2nd this area gets only about 2 hours of direct sun a day. Here are a few photos of the site in still in development...

Whew, ok. The million dollar question: What should I put in for the first crop? I should be able to sow seed directly by the end of the 1st week in March. There are 24\SqFT and I have never grown veggies before so this is my first pass at it. Potatoes will most likely go into a separate container on one side or the other of the boxes. Tomatoes and Corn at the back of either box?

/cheers

Comments (7)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!