SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
veeja11

NEW: Small tomato swap

veeja11
17 years ago

I want a variety of tomatoes, so would like a swap of 6 seeds of each variety, that way we may all get a couple seeds of lots of varieties, send up to 20 pkgs to carol bea 16407 116th ave s.e. renton wa 98058 also buble envie and postage other veggies may be included if you want to receive other veggies also please sign up here thankyou carol

Comments (72)

• fabraholic216
    17 years ago

I'll join too! I'd also prefer heirlooms. I love tomatoes and sweet peppers. Thanks for hosting the swap.
    Hugs,
    Stephanie

• northernmich
    17 years ago

first come, first serve on the heirlooms...oh man :(

I was holding out a few days to possibly get some goodies to add into the swap. I have 14 packages ready.

Guess I will still hold out so someone gets a better variety. Hopefully today or tomorrow the RR come back to me.

This is fun.

Earl

• Related Discussions

NEW: Incredible Edibles Totally Tomatoes Swap

Q

Comments (98)
    Corrine1 - yours was perfect ;-) I agree that the PO is very inconsistent with pricing. I know WAY more about this pricing then one should :-) (seed whore here) The bubble envies cannot fit through the sorter machines, so hopefully the employees never attempt it. Perhaps most envies thicker then 1/4" fail to fit through, so they are hand stamped (?); and jump to the "large" envie pricing. Bubble envies are at least 1/4" when empty and for sure jump into the large envie pricing. Once the bubble envelope gets to be more then 3/4" thick, they jump into the parcel package pricing. Envies too small (!!) or too large also fall into this category. AND, if the length x width ratio is off, they fall into this category also. I have taken an "off ratio" envie into my PO, after more postage was requested (before the hostage notes started), and been told that the envie is ok - no extra postage needed. It is cheaper to buy/use a say 8x10 bubble envie and cut it into smaller envies, and this is when the ratio can be off. Although I cannot speak for the PO, I've traded enough times to know the issues that can arise - experienced them all! It is VERY inconsistent. I noticed, especially with the Canadian Post envies, that some hand stampers miss the stamps all together. For those in the USA, I will reuse/resend, and not waste/use another stamp. For the Canadian swappers, I'll try to remove the stamps so they can be reused in Canada.
    ...See More

NEW: 2014 Tomato and Pepper Seed Swap

Q

Comments (90)
    Becki, I hope you and your daughter are feeling better and the seeds cheered you up and served as a reminder that spring will eventually come. I had a sinus cold for a month, then our son brought another one home from work which I caught and am just now getting over. I've decided that someday I will have a winter home in Florida to escape the germ-infested climate in Ohio. Can't wait until spring and have been kept going with seed swaps and seed catalogs - LOL!
    ...See More

NEW: Tasty Tomato and Pepper Swap 2005

Q

Comments (8)
    Hi, sounds like fun, I'd like to join! Can these be seeds saved from the garden as well as store-bought? I have lots of both. Also, can we just send tomatoes, I don't have any peppers to speak of. Sandy
    ...See More

NEW: New Tomato Seed Secret Swap!

Q

Comments (14)
    Dear ourhappyhome, I tried to email you through GW, but I haven't heard back from you (unless I just don't recognize the name!) So please email me at asay715@aol.com and let me know if you still wish to join! Thanks, Andrea
    ...See More
  • veeja11
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Michelle no need to worry we will find them homes, please include your wants in your pkg so I can try to fill them. thankyou carol

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

Veeja,Today I broke my one and only New Years resolution and it's your fault!!!!
    I had resolved to not BUY and seeds this year, only trade. If I couldn't trade then do without or make do with whatever you can get. Well, along comes Veeja with this tomatoe swap and I'm shuffeling and shuffeling the packs of tomatoe seeds that I do have.Hum, there's a little of this and a little of that but not much of anything where I can send 6 or 12 seeds and still have 6 left for me.So,what else could I do?? Obviously I needed to buy some tomatoe seeds so I could be in the swap.
    See, it's obviously NOT my fault. Right? Somebody please tell me I'm right. OK?
    Anyway, I should have some more good stuff to send for your swap next week. As soon as the seed order arrives.

• Michelle Reynolds
    17 years ago

hi beth I know what you mean, I find myself talking to myself in the stores saying "WHAT ARE YOU DOING LOOKING AT SEEDS" "YOU DON'T HAVE ENOUGH ROOM FOR WHAT YOU HAVE" "WHERE ARE YOU GOING TO PUT THEM ALL" the people at my local walmart and homedepo are starting to wouder about me. and yet I still find the seed catalogs irresistable, I have a parks order on the way.
    but its better than going stir crazy all winter.
    michelle

• fabraholic216
    17 years ago

I mailed off my seeds today and they should arrive soon. I sent two packets each of 2 hybrids and 8 heirlooms. Hope everyone likes them!
    Hugs,
    Stephanie

• veeja11
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Beth it is not your fault blame carol, I also will buy more welcome to all. hugs carol

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

Thanks Carol. I knew I could count on you :o)
    Good thing there is no DH to explain my seed purchases too. LOL Hope all is well out there in the north west.
    BB

• susandonb
    17 years ago

Hi All,
    My seeds are going out first thing tomorrow AM since the PO is closed today.

Thanks,
    Susan

• boballi
    17 years ago

My envelope is in the mail.

boballi

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

Carol,
    I'm wondering if I should send Brandywine??? It is probably the most common of the heirlooms and I don't want to send it if 2 or 3 other people have sent it too.
    I have others to send and will probably mail tomorrow afternoon.
    Beth

• veeja11
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Today I received seeds from Michelle and dem pa. so far only one person has sent brandywine so more is good, I got more heirlooms so far lots of nice seeds. looks to be a fun swap, please include a wish list with your seeds. thankyou hugs carol

• monipsych
    17 years ago

I've been trying to resist temptation. But I went through my seeds and have enough that I won't use them. So I'll toss my hat in and see what new ones I get. Thanks!
    Monica

• susandonb
    17 years ago

Hi,
    Can someone explain "heirlooms" to me?

Thanks,
    Susan

• veeja11
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I received from Susan nc and anntte today. time to get your seeds in if you wanna be in this swap, I will leave the heirloom question to our resident experts, I know Beth and purple are ones, not sure who else. seeds lose about 50 per cent viability each year, so please send at least 2006 seeds, also if sending walmart seeds please send something more specific than red tomato. thankyou, speed it up hugs carol

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

Lordy Yes, I'm definately an heirloom by now. LOL Guess I have been an heirloom for quite a while.
    Carol, I'm stalling another day as I am waiting for my order to arrive from Heirloom seeds. Remember we old folks don't move very fast anymore. Ha ha
    In general heirloom refers to a variety of seeds that have been passed down in a community,ie:Amish Paste, area,Brandywine or a family, Aunt Ginnies Purple or Akers West VA. These are all tomatoes but the interest in heirlooms extends to vegetables, cover crops and flowers.
    Some are interested for the purpose of preserving genetic diversity. Others to avoid plants with "Genetic engineering". Still others Just want that great taste that they remember from Grandma's garden.
    Probably lots of other reasons but these are typical..
    the past 3 or 4 years the interest in heirloom tomatoes has become so common that some were even available from Wal Mart. Before that you needed to grow your own or get them from a specialty grower.
    As to a technical definition of what is required to be considered an heirloom.... I don't know. You may get a firm answer to this on the tomato forum but then again...maybe not. I'm not sure there IS a firm answer.
    Hope this helps without opening a can of worms ;o>

• veeja11
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thankyou resident heirloom, for the info I received two nice pkgs of seeds today from Stephanie and anita. 10 more people still need to send so going to give 5 days more for
    close date, happy trading carol

• monipsych
    17 years ago

Mine went out today. I have delivery confirmation if needed.
    Monica

• veeja11
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I received seeds from zz today, nice selection, everyone should be happy this swap, so far only one person sent questionable seeds and I have had an offer to cover her. hugs to all carol

• veeja11
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I received seeds from Monica today a nice selection, thankyou Monica

• northernmich
    17 years ago

Tuesday I found out the post office and have the same lunch hour and yesterday I was gone to a funeral for 12 hours...TODAY we got out at 1:00 pm due to a storm, so the package was mailed today. Sorry for the delay.

• susandonb
    17 years ago

Carol,
    Did you receive my email I sent asking about the seeds?
    Please let me know, if I have done something wrong I would like the opportunity to correct it.

Thank you,
    Susan in NC

• veeja11
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I received seeds from beth, nice selection, susan I did not get an e-mail from you, try veeja3@wmconnect.com, got till monday to have your seeds here, no earls yet and a few others, speed it up, I will be sorting and mailing starting tuesday, does anyone have any info on varieties of green tomatos? are they tasty? thankyou carol

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

Veeja,I have DR Carolyn's book of 100 Best Heirloom tomatoes. If you have a name,I can look the tomato up and see if it is in there. I looked up "green Grape" online and it is supposed to be very good.
    BB

• purpleacres
    17 years ago

Howdee

I would just do a google search on green tomatoes it totally would be easier.. I grew a few varieties a few years back they were just freaky to eat a ripe green tomato. I did not mind the green zebra though its was not bad. Hubby says yuck to the green ones and they looked horrid canned lol

Purpleacres

Ps if ya need any info on a variety just let me know I prolly have it (smile)

• astilbebstillz6a
    17 years ago

Hi Carol,
    Just got mine in the mail today. Hope they make it on time!
    Sorry for taking so long... Marylee

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

I sent you an email. BB

• veeja11
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I got seeds from Earl and marylee, pkgs will start going out tomorrow. suedonbob I need your addy I lost it. no e-mail from bb. thankyou carol

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

Hey Carol,
    The message was nothing urgent but I posted here too as a way of checking to see if it went through.
    I'm frustrated. The past two weeks only about half of the messages I posted here at GW ( The "send me and email feature") Have actually gone through.
    I like the convenience of that feature but if it is so unreliable that sorta defeats the purpose.

• moonphase
    17 years ago

Please update us.Have our seeds been sent out yet?
    moonphase

• astilbebstillz6a
    17 years ago

Hi,
    Received my seeds today. Gee, that was fast! Love all the different varieties of tomatoes, can't wait to try them! Thanks to all and to Carol for hosting.
    Happy gardening!...Marylee

• veeja11
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Most of the seeds are in the mail just ones I have to buy postage for left, haven't been able to get to po hope you will all post when yours arrive. thankyou hugs carol

• purpleacres
    17 years ago

howdee

got my seeds thanks for the swap

Purple

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

Carol I think I sent postage. I hope I sent postage. I have been such a flake recently I'm not SURE I sent postage.
    IF I forgot, Please forgive me and do let me know. I'll make it up somehow.
    Thanks for hostessing.
    Hugs,
    Beth

• veeja11
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Beth you sent postage so your seeds should be there soon, actually only one person didn't send postage, and I need an addy for susandobob. hope you all enjoy your seeds. please let me know if you got the right number of packages back. thankyou carol

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

Carol the seeds arrived today and I actually got back more that I expected. LOL and thanks a bunch.
    I have Susan's address if she has not sent it yet.
    My Grandson came today to get my riding mower going for the season. It was so nice out and Surprise... I heard frogs in my pond. Less than a week ago there was ice in that pond. It was nice visiting with the boy too. Can't believe how grown up he is.

• Michelle Reynolds
    17 years ago

hello
    the seeds arrived today and they are already planted, thank you everyone and essp. carol
    have a great spring and I will be thinking of this swap when I am making salsa this year.
    michelle

• northernmich
    17 years ago

GREAT job Carol!

I got my seeds yesterday, recorded and filed...but not planted yet :)

We still have snow. I have started indoor jiffy pellets...my first time with these. Up first from last week is Super Marmande. I need to get my warming trays and homemade growing bench out.

Thanks again! Earl

• fabraholic216
    17 years ago

Thank you everybody for the wonderful seeds! I got them yesterday. Wow! What a great variety! Thanks so much Carol for hosting this swap!
    Hugs,
    Stephanie

• boballi
    17 years ago

My seeds are here!

Thank you veeja for the Swap, and thank you Seed Swappers for the GREAT SEEDS!

I've been getting my garden area ready all week. I can't wait to start planting!

Thank You!
    boballi : )

• veeja11
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Beth I need an addy for susan, please post if you have not gotten your seeds as They should all be out, I hope everyone is happy with their selection, you all sent nice seeds thankyou, if anyone in this group needs a reccommendation PLMK. hugs carol

• susandonb
    17 years ago

Carol I just emaile you my address. Sorry did I not include it with my seeds?

Susan

• dem_pa
    17 years ago

I received my seeds yesterday. Thanks for the great selection. Thanks to Carol for hosting the swap.

dem_pa

• moonphase
    17 years ago

I received my seeds yesterday also.Carol thank you for hosting this for us and thanks everyone else for the great seed selections.I got alot of micreys peppers.Great.I make annies salsa so needed these.
    moonphase

• susandonb
    17 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I want to apologize as I seem to be the "one" who sent "cheap Wal Mart" seeds in this swap. I only just today found this out and did not know that Wal Mart seeds were not acceptable in swaps. A post was posted early on in this swap about "someone" who needed to be "covered" because they sent cheap seeds, If you read back on the thread I asked if it was mine and asked to be emailed so I could replace them. I was not notified till this morning.

Obviously others were told about my "cheap" seeds but I wasn't. For some of us Wal Mart seeds are very good and practicle for people on a budget. I have always had great success with these seeds and would not intentionally send seeds that would not grow.

I feel like some people think I am a con seeds artist trying to get "free" seeds for cheap ones. I will personally send everyone in this swap tomato seeds from a very large seed company that I get my seeds from for our community food program that we garden for.

I also hope this wont put me in bad standing to participate in other swaps. Some of us are on a budget and dont dabble in heirlooms, personally I dont like them.

I will ask from now on if there are rules in a swap I sign up for that involves seeds.

Thanks,
    Susan

• zztopsoil
    17 years ago

Hello Carol.

My Tomato Seeds Arrived this Past Weekend.
    "Thank You So Much for Hosting".

ZZ.

• veeja11
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Susan, no one was told it was you, except my friend beth whom I share everything with, you just outed yourself, my biggest complaint was that they were 2003 seeds. I did not get your e-mail and these things should be handled in private. I have your pkg ready to go, will double check to make sure there are no heirlooms, sorry you feel bad, it was a secret until your post. hugs carol

• veeja11
    Original Author
    17 years ago

last two pkgs of seeds went out today, please let me know if you hve not gotten your seeds. hope everyone had fun. hugs carol

• susandonb
    17 years ago

Carol,
    I received my seeds today. Thank you,
    Susan

• monipsych
    17 years ago

My seeds arrived yesterday. Some great choices!
    TY
    Monica