SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
louannie_gw

please help me identify this shrub!

louannie
18 years ago

Hello, everyone, I'm new here, and hope to be able to contribute to the discussions eventually, although I'm not a master gardener or anything. I just love plants!

I need help identifying a shrub I found close to my Mom's house. It's not in a yard, so I can't ask the homeowner. I've searched the internet and think it may be Jasminum nudiflorum, but there is one slight issue. The form, leaves, and color and shape of the flowers are the same, but the flowers on the thing are double instead of single! Is there such a thing as a double winter jasmine (the common name most often given for Jasminum nudiflorum)? We first noticed the bush this spring when it was covered with the flowers, and I picked a sprig to bring home to try to identify it using the internet. I also went back later and got a couple of cuttings, which are still alive and green out there, but not putting on any new growth yet. I SO hope they root...the bush was beautiful!

I bought one yesterday for my neighbor (she watered my plants while I was in Arkansas for 11 days and kept EVERYTHING alive!) at a nursery that doesn't provide botanical names...the lady called it Asian Jasmine, but isn't that the little green groundcover vine? She didn't seem to know much about all my questions. But she had some beautiful plants at good prices!

Before we left she told us that a lady down the road where we were going had two of them out by the road. We looked for them and they were HUGE! Probably 7-8 feet tall and 10-12 feet in diameter. The branches arch out and weep from the main branch, if that helps anyone to identify it.

TIA to all who answer and I look forward to discussing gardening with you all here. As you can probably tell by my rather "wordy" post, I don't get enough of it with anyone I know around here. :-)

Comments (6)

Sponsored