SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
noobgardner1231

need help with new backyard - shade and ivy

noobgardner1231
15 years ago

Hello,

I'm fairly new to gardening and my wife and I are about to purchase a new home. The backyard is a bit worrisome because we are not sure what to do with it. It is pretty shady with a bunch of trees at the back end and a covered deck at the other. The center is brick patio with a fireplace and it's surrounded on 3 sides by ivy which looks to be well maintained an pruned.

We have a 4 year old girl who loves to play and another baby on the way. So we are not sure if we should tear up the ivy and make it a yard for children to play in or embrace it and turn it into a shade garden (which i have no clue how to begin). It's not a huge backyard and we like the fireplace which can probably be moved back towards the deck to make more room in the yard.

We hear that removing the ivy could be a nightmare and a lot of work so we really don't know...any suggestions are welcome!

I think a small waterfall/pond in the back would be nice. My wife seems to think that not having a play area for the children would be that big of a deal. Below are links to a couple pics of the yard.

Thanks!

Jason

Comments (5)

Sponsored