SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
castorp

Pole Bean & Snow Pea failure

castorp
18 years ago

My new square foot garden has been going very well, with two exceptions, pole beans and snow peas. I planted these along the back of the bed, growing up the string trellis, as suggested in Mel's book. I followed his spacing suggestions too. The pole beans (in the fall gardening season here) grew up the strings. The vines weaved themselves into thick ropes. The beans were small, stunted and oddly shaped. The snow peas (planted for our winter season) have hardly grown at all. They never even made it up the strings. The plants turned whitish. Some withered. I thought maybe it was the heat (it was still hot in November), so I replanted in December. The vines haven't withered yet, but they're still going nowhere.

Everything else in this raised bed--lettuce, mustard, onions, tomatoes--have done well and very well.

I was thinking it was that I did not use an inocculant, but the bush beans I planted in the same bed did very well, which makes me think it's not that.

Then I was thinking the soil in the raised bed was too rich for peas and beans. Seems like I remember reading somewhere that beans and peas prefer soil that's not so rich. (Last year, my old vegetable garden, the peas and beans grew very well in lightly ammended sand). But again, why would the bush beans have done so well?

I'm using recommended varieties and planted times for this area. . .

Any ideas on what's going wrong?

Thanks,

Bill

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?