SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kellyray_gw

STAT: Need ideas for privacy shrub/tree/vine

kellyray
18 years ago

I have a small side garden under construction that needs a bit of help. I am currently working on one corner of this garden. The challenges:

1.) The garden is surrounded by an ugly chain-link fence (replacing is not an option right now).

2.) The fence separates us from our very annoying neighbor. (Don't get me started.) He has planted several acuba japonica plants that have grown to about 8 feet that provide a nice screen *except* at the bases.

3.) This scene sits right outside a large picture window that is in our dining room, which means that every day at breakfast, I get to start my morning by looking at the pasty white legs of my annoying neighbor through an unsightly chain-link fence.

4.) The planting area I have to build some density between the two of us is somewhat narrow. I have about four feet of depth to work with, but the foot closest to the fence currently is a glorified ditch that is unfortunately necessary for drainage. (Therefore, no digging/planting in there, but stuff can hang over it.). I do have several feet of width to work with. (The current width of the "acuba gap" is about 4 feet, although the area of visible chain link fence is about 6+ feet.)

So, any ideas as to what I should plant there? It IS a shady spot, although it gets enough sun in some spots for my clematis plant to thrive. (I love the clematis growing on the fence that runs perpendicular to the neighbor-separating fence, but it isn't dense enough to create an effective cover...buy maybe if I planted several?? Could I train them to travel over to the neighbor-separating fence?) I would like to plant a smallish tree (redbud?), which would help break up the wall of acuba but would not really solve the fence/gap challenges. Are there other vines I could use that would really cover the fence so that it wasn't recognizable as chain-link? (That would solve a LOT of problems.) Anything I can plant now and see a visible improvement by the end of the summer?

I have a picture of the spot and will try to make it accessible to folks, but no promises. (I can email if it helps.)

Thank you so very much!!!

Kelly

Comments (9)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH