SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
highalttransplant

NEW: I.E. 2nd Annual Spring Fling Swap

highalttransplant
14 years ago

Spring is still a month away, but I'm sick of snow and ready to see something blooming!!! How 'bout you guys?

Welcome to the 2nd Annual Incredible Edibles Spring Fling Swap!

If you are like me, and don't get an Easter Basket anymore, you will love this swap. I had so much fun shopping for this one last year!

Now for the details:

Partners assigned - Saturday, March 6th

Deadline to send package - Friday, March 12th

Please send your partner the equivalent of 6 full packets of seeds. If you are sending partial packs, you may need to send more than 6. The seeds should include things that can be planted in the spring, such as lettuce, carrots, radishes, peas, broccoli, cauliflower, etc., and can also include items related to Easter, such as pastel colored veggies, Easter Egg radishes, Jelly Bean tomatoes, etc. Have fun with it, and use your imagination, but also try to pick things from your partners wishlist if possible.

Please put the seeds in some kind of container. It could be a small basket, planter, or bucket. Last year, I found the cutest miniature watering can in a pastel green!

This is not about spending a lot of money, but in making the other person feel special, so get to know your partner a little bit, so that you can send something they will enjoy.

If I've forgotten anything, or you have any questions, please don't be afraid to post them, or send me an email.

Happy Almost Spring Everyone!

Bonnie

Comments (59)

• sassybutterfly_2008
    14 years ago

Well I hate to brag..... :P We had temps up to 59 today and it felt like Spring! This is after snow just last week..lol Got lots of yardwork done, more WS'ing done. Washed the cars, decided to work on digging out the new garden beds.. then decided I was too lazy to do so. :) Next week.. I hope.

Where is everyone!? Come on out lurkers!

~Wendy / sassyb.

• booberry85
    14 years ago

We actually saw that bright globe in the sky today! I went outside and hacked some of the ice out of the driveway. Now it's mostly blacktop!

I started a bunch of seeds last weekend and a few more this weekend. I want to start my tomatoes and maybe broccoli & cauliflower next weekend but I think I will be working.

All work and no gardening makes Becky a cranky girl!

• Related Discussions

2nd Annual I.E. Pick-A-Peck of Peppers Swap

Q

Comments (5)
    If you folks have not participated in a round-robin swap before, it is a great way of expanding your seed collection for only the price of a few seeds and some postage. I highly encourage them, and Bonnie runs a great one. Put it on your list for next year.
    ...See More

NEW: Incredible Edibles Spring Fling Salad Swap

Q

Comments (78)
    Hi everybody! I'm glad you're all happy with your seeds! It's always a lot of fun hosting these things and seeing all the different varieties that people send in, so thanks to all of you for participating! Garden_love, I got your package sent back to my address today. It looks like the label with your address came off, so the envelope had my address on it again (it was under the label). Anyhow, I'll send it back out tomorrow. Happy Gardening! -Julia
    ...See More

new: incredible edibles: spring fling swap

Q

Comments (40)
    Glad y'all had a nice weekend, mine was rather busy! DH works swing shift, so we went out to breakfast instead of lunch or dinner. Spent the rest of the afternoon with the boys, and going around delivering goodies to grandmas :-) Sunday night I started some of my tomato seeds :-) Very exciting :-) Lol, I know what you mean about so many great looking edibles! I have a few orders out myself, and have been looking at a couple of other places that I think can get an order to me in a reasonable amount of time....so many places are so backed up this time of year...lol, all of us ordering seeds :-) I am fine with partners being posted sooner.
    ...See More

NEW: 2nd Annual 'Adopt a Newbie' Swap!

Q

Comments (150)
    Hi everyone. Peppers: Leave them alone. I used to hve trouble with them too and then last year I planted a zillion b/c I always have so much trouble with bell peppers. Well, I did not amend the soil this year and I really did not water as often. I think the biggie is that before I treated them like my tomatoes. I watered the same and fed the same. Last year it dawned on me that these are a southwest native. In other words, they LIKE a lot of heat and can be on the dry side. Let them be. Esp. if you are getting lots of lush foliage but not fruit. This means you are feeding too much or the bed is too rich. This was m exp. last year and when I planted zillions, I did not need that many. I still have baggies in the freezer of them. Carrots. I have trouble with them too. I can gro beats and radishes like a magazine picture. But for some reason my carrots don't tend to do much of anything. Last year I actually had long skinny root but they did not grow like supposed to. But that was better than previous years when they sprouted nd then went kaput.
    ...See More
  • highalttransplant
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL, Becky! I hear you! Even though I'm a stay-at-home mom, I'm not really home all that much, and when I am, I'm usually cooking or cleaning. That's alright, when spring really gets here, the housework will have to wait, because I will be outside playing in the dirt : )

I checked our weather history for the month of Feb., and we have only had three days of sun, and two that reached 40º, with lows in the teens and 20's. Yes, I am a little envious of you, Wendy!!!

I'll check back in later today, to see if anyone new has signed up.

Bonnie

• opie12
    14 years ago

Well, y'all are in colder places than I am, but I feel like winter here in MS has been unusually cold....we got several inches of snow here a few weeks ago! (I LOVED it!!)

Bonnie, have you grown the Alpine Strawberry before? I have seeds for it and am getting ready to start them....I'm actually edging on the end of my "6-8 week before plant out" starting date before my plant out.....anything you can tell me about these or about how to care for them?

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Melissa, last year was my second attempt to grow strawberries from seed. The first year I didn't get any germination. Then, last year I tried a variety called Temptation, which is an everbearing type, and ended up with 4 plants that flowered towards late summer, but didn't have enough time to produce fruit before the first frost. They are still under several inches of snow, so I don't know if they survived or not.

I've also tried growing strawberries from purchased plants, and grown them in containers, but they never seem to survive the winter here.

Anyway, this is my first time to try the alpine strawberries, and my understanding is they need cold stratification, so where you live, you might need to refrigerate for a couple weeks first, or sow outdoors in the fall next time.

I'm attaching a link that has more growing information.

Hope it helps some,
    Bonnie

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing alpine strawberries

• opie12
    14 years ago

The link was great, thanks! I'm hoping to be successful with them, but this is the first year I am going for strawberries from seed, so we will see :-)

• blodeuwedd
    14 years ago

I'd like to join!

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Welcome, blodeuwedd!

I bought a couple things for this swap today. Not sure if the container will work or not though, I'll have to see if I have a box the right size and shape.

List of participants:

Booberry85/Becky
    Sassybutterfly 2008/Wendy
    Opie12/Melissa
    Blodeuwedd/ ?
    Highalttransplant/Bonnie

There are still almost two weeks left to sign up. Where are all the lurkers this time around? I know your out there ... poke, poke, LOL!

Bonnie

• blodeuwedd
    14 years ago

Oh, my name is Summer btw! :)

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good morning! It's been snowing again this morning. It has warmed up enough now to melt off the streets, but there were two cars off in the ditch on the way to take my daughter to preschool this morning. Very scary!

List of participants:

Booberry85/Becky
    Opie12/Melissa
    Blodeuwedd/Summer * Glad to know your name. I couldn't even pronounce your GW name : )
    Highalttransplant/Bonnie

Since we are kind of going with an Easter basket theme this time, maybe you guys would like to share what your favorite candy is? I'll start : ) I love toffee or chocolate covered caramels ... and I hate licorice. How about you guys?

Bonnie

• booberry85
    14 years ago

I love candy! Milkchocolate, malted milk eggs, Cadbury Mini Eggs, Jelly Belly's, yum! Hope I wasn't suppose to pick just one! LOL!

We're getting hit with snow too Bonnie. Dh & I had a scary long ride back from work today.

• booberry85
    14 years ago

So what do you do when your husband decides to be a cowboy and gets your car stuck in the driveway and it's still stuck even after you've shovelled the entire driveway???

You order seeds for a swap!
    :)

• booberry85
    14 years ago

I'm happy to report after 3 days, my car is freed from it's icy/muddy abyss!

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Glad to hear that you car has been freed, Becky! Our forecast is calling for highs in the 40's for the next week, and no precipitation until the end of the week, so I'm hoping we'll finally have some significant snow melt. Our driveway is short, but slopes towards the garage, so it's an ice skating rink at the bottom during the winter months. I have to stomp on the gas coming out of the garage to make it out of the driveway, and have gotten stuck more times than I can count! Plus, in our subdivision, the garages exit onto alleys, which the town rarely ever plows. So the hardest part of winter travel is just getting out of the neighborhood.

Sign-ups end this Friday, so it's time to come out of lurkerville : )

Bonnie

• opie12
    14 years ago

Hum...what candies I like....almost anything, but I can't eat "chewy" candies like skittles, licorice and gummies......the chewiness gives me headaches....can't chew gum either.
    I do like peeps (haha, weird huh?) and the cadburry mini eggs....

Hope y'all get out of the snow soon! I can't even imagine having enough snow to be stuck in my house......

• gardencraze
    14 years ago

Hi, may I join please?
    Thanx,Carmen

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Welcome, Carmen! Glad to have you in the swap!

Melissa, gum and chewy candy makes my jaw pop (TMJ disorder), but I love stuff like taffy and caramels, so sometimes I just deal with the discomfort. Silly, huh? I've quit buying peeps for my kids easter baskets, because they usually take one bite and leave the rest until they are hard as bricks, LOL.

Here's the list of participants:

Booberry85/Becky
    Opie12/Melissa
    Blodeuwedd/Summer
    Gardencraze/Carmen
    Highalttransplant/Bonnie

Today was gorgeous, sunny and mid-40's. The snow is melting, and I even saw a few daffodil leaves poking through the dirt! Spring is on its way!!!

Bonnie

• opie12
    14 years ago

Speaking of daffodils.....here is a pic of one in my yard that I took last week.....even more are blooming now! Thought you might enjoy the pic while you wait on yours to bloom :-)

• gardencraze
    14 years ago

Ahhh..... I love dafs, it's to bad they don' make it in my hot zone

Thanx for sharing

Hugs Carmen

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Love the Daffodil pic! It'll be another 1 1/2 months before I see daffodils around here. A 4' snow bank is covering up the spot where my daffies come up.
    :(

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We've had a lot of snow melt the past 2 or 3 days, and my frontyard faces pretty much due south, so most of the snow that's left is in the back of the house. The perennial beds are almost uncovered now, so hopefully things will start waking up.

Three more days to sign up ... she says, dangling a chocolate Easter bunny : )

Bonnie

• sassybutterfly_2008
    14 years ago

My daffodils are JUST about to peek out. I can hardly wait! The crocus have opened up just a tad, they are the first sign here that Spring is finally on the way!

Carmen how are you!?! How's the shop going?? I was thinking about your shop not too long ago. :)

Goodness Becky I can hardly imagine so much snow that your car gets stuck... but then again just 2-3" of snow for us is a SEVERE winter storm..lol :P

I look forward to our partner posting this weekend!

Hugs ya'll,
    Wendy / sassyb.

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Had a little snow last night, like maybe 1/2", just enough to annoy.

Anywho, today is the last day to sign up. I'll be checking in later today, and will post partners tomorrow.

I have a friend coming over today to learn how to wintersow. We'll be doing tomatoes, which means no more changing that list, LOL.

Bonnie

• gardencraze
    14 years ago

Hi ya'll, looks like you all are doing good. :o)

Hi Wendy, good to see ya,I'm so ashamed of myself I still did'nt send you your promised gift, but I promise it will be worth the wait.

My box is ready except for that personal touch.
    Oh I really hope to get Wendy so I can kill 2 birds with one slingshot. :o)

My friends have a great night
    Carmen

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good Morning, everyone! Here are your partners for this swap. Please be sure to email your partner as soon as possible, to get their mailing address, and find out what kinds of seeds and treats would really make them feel special. Have fun, and be sure to post here when you have shipped, and when you have received.

Booberry85/Becky - Blodeuwedd/Summer
    Sassybutterfly 2008/Wendy - Gardencraze/Carmen
    Opie12/Melissa - Highalttransplant/Bonnie

Thanks for joining the Spring Fling Swap!

• sassybutterfly_2008
    14 years ago

Woohoo! Thanks Bonnie! I was just peekin' in to see if we had a partner list up yet. :D

Carmen! Yay!! lol Send me an email hon and send me your address again if you don't mind. I'm heading out for a few hours and later tonight we're going to a drama production our local high school is putting on. But LATER tonight I'll get back to ya!

Hugs ,
    Wendy/ Sassyb.

• gardencraze
    14 years ago

YAAAA!!! Wendy I sent you an email w/my addy

This is so awesome, now I can send that special gift i've been holding on to.

Thank you Bonnie!! and thank so much for hosting and awesome swap.
    Hugs Carmen

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Your welcome, Carmen!

Melissa, you have mail : )

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Summer & I have been in touch. She loves peppers, beans & tomatoes and is trying cukes, eggplants & squashes. What could be more perfect!!

Our snow is S-L-O-W-L-Y melting.

• gardencraze
    14 years ago

Booberry, your snow is melting and our weather seems to be gettin back to FL weather. We have been freezing our bunz off over here. Most of my plants froze to nothing and we had another freeze warning last night. This is crazy crazy weather we've bin havin.Coldest winter in Fl history since 1977

Spring is almost here yayyyyy!
    Hugs Carmen

• sassybutterfly_2008
    14 years ago

Goodness today was a GORGEOUS day out!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we had a temp of 70 today!! And now it's gonna rain for the next 5 days.. but TODAY was gorgeous! lol

Hey Carmen! I just got into my email tonight and I'll email ya back this evening! I've nearly got your box ready to go too!

Hugs everyone!
    Wendy / sassyb.

• booberry85
    14 years ago

We've had sunshine the past couple of days. Hurray! Tomorrow we might even see 50 degrees here. Still lots of snow to melt though.

Summer, I forgot to mention in our emails. I placed a seed order about a week ago, but I'm still waiting for the seeds to come in. I'm keep my fingers crossed that they'll be in before friday!

• gardencraze
    14 years ago

Hi everybody, looks like boxes will soon be flying,
    My box is flyin the coup today.

Wendy I just mailed your box I'm sorry I said Mon. but it did not work that way. Here is DC# 03092880000017040730 ENJOY!!

Hugs Carmen

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I picked up some items for Melissa's box today, just waiting to hear back from her about a few items on her wishlist, and then I'll get her package on its way.

Weather is improving here. There's still snow on the mountains surrounding us, but the snow piles in the parking lots are almost gone, and most of the snow that's left is in shady areas.

You guys be sure to post what's in your box. Nosy Nellies, like me and Becky, love to hear all the details : ) It gives us ideas for future swaps!

Have a great day!
    Bonnie

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Nosy Nellie and proud of it! :)

I got home from work today to find one of my dogs (they're little)had been up on my seed starting table and knocked over half a tray of seedlings. GRRR! I just finished replanting things.

• booberry85
    14 years ago

...check is in the mail....Ohh....
    I mean, your package is in the mail Summer!

• blodeuwedd
    14 years ago

Woohoo! Yours will be in the mail tomorrow evening or Friday morning. I'm just waiting for one more thing!

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Melissa, your box went out this morning. I'll email you the DC#.

Just a reminder, tomorrow is the deadline for shipping your package. If you are waiting on a seed order or something, please email your partner and let them know there will be a delay.

Thanks,
    Bonnie

• sassybutterfly_2008
    14 years ago

WOW!

What an amazing box I received from Carmen today! I wish I'd added lots more to yours now! lol oh the joys of having a trading partner that is in a warmer zone than me! :D I received LIVE PLANTS!!! wooohoo!! :D

First of all Carmen, here is your DC# for your box: DC# 0309 2880 0001 6007 6556, it went out priority so hopefully it should arrive by Monday. p.s. you'll get a giggle when you see what your seeds are in. It'll look sorta familiar! lol

I received an AMAZING box which was a lovely surprise as today is gloomy and stormy and full of wet muck filled yuckiness in my yard.. this truly brightened my day!

I received:

Gourmet Rose tea - I have always wondered what this tastes like..now I can find out!
    A beautiful blue'ish-purple butterfly windchime. My whole front porch is covered in windchimes my mom used to collect and the color is PERFECT!
    A handmade rose card that Carmen made herself! (You should sell these!)
    A very adorable butterfly clip that looks handmade too (??) This would look wonderful attached to a trellis with vines growing all on it..
    A picture frame magnet :)
    Water crystals for plant pots (very cool, never seen these before!)
    Dubble Bubble Eggs Bubble Gum (a WHOLE bag..lol my daughter has already snatched these from my grasp..)
    A very pretty mint green 'pearl' bracelet and red 'jeweled' fashion pin (again, snatched lol)
    Seeds include:
    Early Scarlet Globe Radish
    White Lisbon Bunching Onion
    Beefsteak Tomato
    Cali Wonder Bellpepper
    Waltham Butternut Squash
    Snowball X Cauliflower
    Sparkler White Tip Radish
    Cherokee Wax Yellow Bush Bean
    Danvers Half Long Carrot
    **all of these were packed into the cutest little miniature garden tote :)

no I'm not done yet ladies..

She sent a gorgeous plate flower, if any of you frequent the Garden Junk forum you've seen Carmen's lovely work and her ingenious idea of flattening a spoon to serve as the handle to showcase it in the garden. If you haven't seen them yet, please do go check it out!!

Lastly, an assortment of wonderful plants. I was sooo not expecting to see anything live in this box! :D
    I received:
    Purple Emperor Sedum
    Iris (and yes they grow wonderfully for me here in my zone!)
    Christmas Cactus cuttings
    Sedum Angelina
    some purplish Heuchera *YAYYY!*
    and another that I think is White violets? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Gosh, THANKYOU Carmen!! You really outdid yourself, I am in awe of my goodie box!!

and ThankYOU Bonnie for hosting such a fun swap!

I'm going to go play in the dirt now!

Thanks!!!!!!
    Wendy / sassyb..

• blodeuwedd
    14 years ago

I opened my mailbox today and what did I see...but a box for 'lil ole me!

Inside were some lovely surprises!

A bag of wonderful chocolate eggs :D
    A pretty magnet that says "grow" and daffodil flowers on it
    A really neat Magic Towel with Snoopy on it
    And.....seeds!
    Burpee Early Yield Peas
    Giulio Radicchio
    Joseph's Coat Amaranth
    Amana Orange Tomatoes
    Sweetie Tomatoes
    Arugula
    Muncher Cucumbers
    Mizuna
    Lemon Basil
    Flying Saucer Squashes

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Hope you enjoy your treats Summer!

• blodeuwedd
    14 years ago

Oh I will! I especially love the Flying Saucer Squashes! I can't wait to see how those turn out. :D

I hope you enjoy your package. I sent it out yesterday.

• gardencraze
    14 years ago

Hi everybody I hope you are enjoying your boxez. :o)

Wendy, I'm so happy you like what I sent,I was really afraid for that plate flower.
    The violets are very lite lavender for my zone, they may be a little bit different for you. I was pretty sure I put a name to that huchera.
    I'll have to see if I still have the tag. ENJOY!!!

Hugs Carmen

• booberry85
    14 years ago

I received my treats today from Summer! In my package was:
    Peppermint patties (which I've made a dent in already!)
    Reeses Pieces in a carrot cone
    Gardening Gloves (always needed)
    A cute little green pail with butterflies on it

For seeds I received
    Rudbeckia Goldstrum (Rudbeckia are my favorite flowers!)
    Morning Glories Star of Yelta
    Columbine Harlequin Mix
    Lupine Russell Hybrid Mix
    Rainbow Heirloom Tomato mix
    Watermelon Radishes
    Purple Ruffles Basil
    All alarm Hot Mix Peppers
    Kaleidoscope Mix Sweet Peppers

Thanks so much Summer!

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My box from Melissa arrived today! Inside was a very nice basket full of great stuff!

Lots of chocolate goodies, which the kids immediately tried to talk me out of ... don't think so, LOL!
    Lilac and lavender scented candle
    Sharpie marker (thank you, thank you, my old one was just about dried up, and I use them for labeling my wintersown containers)
    Cute little notepad that says "If you pray for rain, be prepared to deal with some mud." (Love it!)
    Green metal turtle windchimes (very cute)
    Pair of heavy duty leather palm gloves (Boy did I need some of these! My husband's work gloves are way too big, and regular canvas or cloth garden gloves just aren't tough enough for some jobs.)

In addition to all of these goodies, there were tons of seeds in the basket too:
    Greencrop bush beans
    Henderson bush lima beans
    Early Sunglow corn
    Parade cucumber (can't believe you found one I didn't already have)
    Poona Kheera cucumber (grew it for the first time last year. They were very large, and crisp, almost melon-like, and a very good producer.)
    Sakata's Sweet melon (Can't wait to try this one!)
    Orangeglo watermelon (on my wishlist)
    Louisiana Green Velvet okra (our nights might be too cool, but I'm going to try it anyway - I miss fried okra!)
    Burgess Buttercup squash
    Cocozelle squash (I almost sent this one to you too, LOL)
    Mini Bell Yellow pepper (Would you believe I grew a Mini-Belle Mix last year, and only got red and chocolate, no yellow, so thank you!)
    Czech's Excellent tomato (new to me, yippee!)
    Nature's Riddle tomato (also new to me!)
    Emerald Evergreen tomato (yep, didn't have that one either)

Wow!!! I am so pleased and thankful for the wonderful box of goodies you sent. Thank you very much, Melissa!

Bonnie (who plans on keeping those chocolates for herself!)

• sassybutterfly_2008
    14 years ago

Carmen ~ I hope you received your box ok? It says it was delivered yesterday, plmk. Thanks!!

What a wonderful bunch of boxes we're all getting! Great job everyone!

Hugs,
    Wendy / sassyb.

• gardencraze
    14 years ago

Hi all,
    Wendy I'm so sorry I didn't post when I got my box, Hardly any time to breath these days,

Anywhoooo, I received my box from Wendy ,and OH what a terrific box it was
    It was a nice size Garden Tote with all the garden tools !!I mean everything for your garden,6 easter eggs,a pink
    (my fav. color)note pad and 6 wonderful packs of seeds. Lookin forward to growin these.
    Thank you sooo much Wendy!!!! I love my garden tote

Hugs, Carmen

• opie12
    14 years ago

I got my basket from Bonnie today :-)

It is GREAT!! My "basket" was a hanging basket :-) with some delicious looking candy...gonna have to hide it before the kids get back from granny's house! She also included a pair of garden gloves! I really needed those too, I was looking at some just today while I was out.

The seeds she sent me where:
    Christmas Lima
    Rattlesnake Bean
    Miniature White Cucumber
    White Wonder Cucumber
    Tigger Melon
    Yellow Brandywine Tomato
    Egg Tomato
    Tall Telephone Pea
    Kaleidoscope Mix Carrot
    Vivian Lettuce
    Purple Beauty Pepper
    Alma Paprika Pepper

I didn't have any of these seeds, and can't wait to try them! I'm gonna get my peppers and tomatoes started tonight!

Thanks so much Bonnie for such a wonderful basket! This has been a really fun swap.

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Glad to know your box arrived, Melissa, and I hope you enjoy it!

Well, ladies, I believe all of the boxes have safely arrived, which means this swap is now over : (

Thank you to everyone that participated. Hope to see you guys again next year!

Bonnie

• sassybutterfly_2008
    14 years ago

Thanks for hosting the swap Bonnie, you did a wonderful job!

Glad you enjoyed it Carmen!

Hugs,
    Wendy / sassyb.