SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chenya_gardener

sturdy ground cover for P. Shade to Full Shade

chenya_gardener
18 years ago

I have a area on the side of the house that is directly under several large trees which is why I am having problems growing grass on that side. (part shade to full shade all day) Due to that I am looking for other alternatives. So far from the research I have found so far on the web, on my list is moss, vinca minor and Ajuga. Since I am by no means a expert gardener I really don't know which if any would work in my situation.

What are the growing habits? Are they sturdy enough to withstand foot traffic (Moderate)? Any thing else I might need to know? I originally thought about IVY but hey we all know that IVY grows everywhere. Not really interested in that. I am going to home depot Friday to check out what they have.

I might mention that this side of the yard has a tendency to flood during spring rains. We have had many times where we have had a foot of water standing so the plants would need to be able to deal with that. Being in IL we also have hot, dry, humid summers so the plants would have to be able to deal with that as well. Is there such a plant that can deal with both extremes with ease?

Comments (6)

Sponsored