SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
disneynut1977

Will these plants work for part-shade to dappled sun?

Hi,

My backyard is part-shade to some dappled sun/full shade. I've finally given in and accepted that I can't grow sun loving stuff. Most things I like are full sun. I'm trying to get my back beds behind my house filled in by 2 more years.They face south, but I have a hill behind me and very large trees on that hill. I have a wood deck that breaks up the bed. Each side is about 24 ft long x 3 1/2 ft wide. 1 does get more sun, than the other. If I was facing the back of my house; the left side is about 3-4 hours total throughout the day full/direct sun, the rest completely shaded- dappled sun peeking through the tree canopy overhead.The right side is 1-1 1/2 hours full/direct sun and the rest of it is full shade-lightly dappled sun. During

the early spring the right side does get more sun, it's partly shaded by a large maple when it leafs out.

Right side bed:Last year I picked up 3 overfilled pots of Japanese

Painted Ferns "Silver Falls". I was able to break them up and came up with 6 small groups. Those I put on the right side because they can tolerate more shade than other things. I spaced them about 3ft apart along the bed halfway

in. I had bought a flat from Graceful gardens this year(Same state nursery, not a huge selection but very happy with plants from them). I put 4 Foxglove "Pam's Choice" (2nd year) at the end of the right side bed. They are getting about 1 1/2 direct sun rest dappled sun/full shade. I have 1 Penstemon "Mystica" between 2 of the ferns set behind them against the house. That's getting about 1 hr direct sun than dappled sun-full shade. I also have 1

Lobelia "Great Blue" in between 2 of the other ferns, set behind them against house; same amount of sun as the Penstemon. 1 "Firefly" coral bells between 2 more ferns set behind them, same amount of sun. At the other end of this side I have 7 foxglove "Foxy" 1st year against the house; about 1 1/2 hr direct sun than dappled sun/full shade. I have some WS Torenia(Clown Flowers) to put on the border.

Left side bed:The plant's I bought this year came in 4 packs. I put in a group of 3 Penstemon "Mystica" spack in the middle of the bed, spaced 1ft apart. At 1 end I have 3 Coral bells"Firefly" halfway into the bed.At the other end I have 3 Lobelia "Great Blue" halfway into the bed. I have 6

different foxgloves I am spring sowing in jugs this year to put 3 types against the house on the left side. The rest will go in the front of the house. I have some WS Torenia (Clown Flowers) to put on the border.

I had WS tons of Columbines, but none have popped up. I have 7 different colors to WS for next year. Hopefully I have better luck, so I can have some of these in back. I was thinking of adding Lady's Mantle "Thriller" to the

right side next year too? Next year I plan on buying "Ruby Bells" Coral Bells to use on the border and a few Geum plants. I also have pelleted Money Flower seeds for next year too. I can't do Hostas. I have a major white tail

deer problem and fencing my yard in is not an option. I do use a deer off spray that works, but it's very $$$, so it's reserved for my roses in front. I also have 1 pink Bleeding heart on the left side that I am moving up front soon. I've had it for 3 years now and each year it gets big, but looks

very lanky. I don't care for it in back and want to see how it responds in the front.

Any opinions? Will these plants work for the amount of sun? I will try to take a photo of the back of my house this weekend, so you can see it.

Thanks

Melissa

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm