SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
babyhelpful

Deep shade shrubs? Will these work?

BabyHelpful
18 years ago

Sorry to ask about shade shrubs like everyone else, but I can't find quite what I need in other threads....

I'm helping my mother-in-law replant her front yard in z6a, southern Ohio. The foundation receives ZERO direct sun for about five feet out from the two-story house. The soil is clay, the pH is about 7-7.5. Her foundation is concrete and leaches lime into the soil. I have a preference for native plants, but after weeks of searching, but will take anything that is non-invaisive. (No asian honeysuckles, barberry, jetbead, etc.)

I have considered amending the soil for acid-loving shrubs, but this would require constant upkeep, something I can only do in small amounts on visits from Chicago. Perhaps something that required mildly acid soil could be maintained by yearly mulching and Miracid? I am willing to amend the soil with sand and peat and compost for initial texture improvement.

There are two areas of the foundation to plant: under the windows, no more than 5ft, and near the door, no more than 10 ft (around eight would be best).

Can people suggest things or advise on any of what I have been considering?

Some things I have been considering are:

Symphocarpos albus (Snowberry)

Sarcococca var humelis (Sweetbox's 2 foot, hardy ground-cover incarnation)

Taxus

Viburnum trilobum (American Highbush Cranberry)

Arborvitae

Itea Virginica (Sweetspire)

Hydrangea (prone to be chlorotic?)

Ribes, various species. Alpine especially?

I am concerned about things looking properly suburban and compact in her neat, tidy neighborhood--many of these things are said to tolerate deep shade, but will they become leggy and unattractive?

I would prefer to use shrubs instead of perennials to give the foundation a little texture and softness in the winter months.

Your help is much appreciated!

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor