SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanf242

My shade garden is pure darkness, what can i do?

susanf242
20 years ago

with the neighbors tallhome so close by, and the tree (I think it is maple) right there. we have dirt in this area behind our house. My SIl gave some fully mature burning bushes to us but they do not turn red, but are green in the summer. This area is very small (our driveway borders it on one side and the houe on the other) but we look at it all the time since the kids play by the garage and all we see is dirt and burning bushes. It is so dry here, I water about every other or third day in our michigan summers but still it is not enough. We also have some ferns and astilbes and hostas. Nothing looks great due to slug damage and the dryness.

I feel I should put some type of really attractive patio to cover the dirt, and then concentrate on having a few nice plants here (instead of many scraggly ones). That way the whole area is much more attractive.

This shade garden is truly shaded with maybe 30 mi of sun in various places throughout the day. Should we move the burning bushes, if so, what else should we put here? A friend mentioned rhododendrons since it is a NE facing corner of the home but I thought these were finicky plants?

I may wirt more later since my junipers in the front of this very shaded home seem dead but since they are not totally brown yet, the jury is still out.

THANKS!

Comments (8)

Sponsored