SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
farmer_rons_patch

How to hand pollinate squash

Hello, Everyone.
I've been reading a lot of the posts here and I have a tip on how to hand pollinate squash. When the flowers reach near halfway to maturity, I use masking tape to wrap the ends closed. Now you do this to both male & female flowers, and when the flowers just start to balloon, that shows the flowers are ready to be hand pollinated, but don't wait too long for the bugs will ruin your efforts. Its best to do this before the flowers fully balloon allowing the bug access! It all a matter getting the timing just right!

Now, you do this one at a time! Cut off the male flower from the plant, and open up the flower by tearing off the petals so all that's in your hand is the stamen & flower stem, now go to a female flower and remove just the tape on the end "leaving the petals fully intact" now pollinate the female flowers pistil with the stamen of the male flower like your painting it. Then re-tape the female flowers petals end closed immediately with the masking tape, and your done with female flower number one...

Use up all the male flowers pollinating each female as needed till your job is done. ( Do not mix male flower parts with other squash varieties, as we are trying not to cross pollinate )

Hope this helps, Ron:)

Comment (1)

Sponsored
More Discussions