SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
earthnut_gw

which groundcovers will do best?

earthnut
19 years ago

I have a shady area where I've tried for years to establish a lawn, with dismal success. It is not only too shady, but my parents (whose land it is) don't want to mow it or pick up the leaves in the fall. So I am going to plant some groundcovers there instead.

The site is on the NW side of the house and is also shaded by a large maple tree. The maple drops a copious amount of large leaves in the fall. We cannot cut it because it is on the neighbors property and my parents don't want to anyway. The area is used as the dog's safe haven and bathroom. There is a trail of stepping stones through the middle. There is also some compost piles and a woodpile and the ground was amended with copious compost a few years ago.

I need groundcovers that will be evergreen all year, that will tolerate the dog, mostly not be too tall (I was thinking of using these groundcovers:

Ajuga (bugleweed) or Galium odoratum (sweet woodruff) or Lysimachia nummularia (creeping jenny) along the edges, where they can be taller. Sagina subulata (irish moss) or Ophiopogon japonicus 'nana' (dwarf mondo grass) or Selaginella kraussiana (clubmoss) in main area. Creeping Violas here and there for interest. Mentha requenii (corsican mint) around stones.

These were some other plants I found that could work:

Soleirolia  babyÂs tears

Arenaria - sandwort

Cymbalaria muralis - Kenilworth Ivy

Hypsela reniformis

Waldsteinia  barren strawberry

Which will or will not tolerate winter leaf cover?

Thanks, Caitlin

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH