SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hfk123

Lilacs in Medium to Heavy Shade?

HFK123
19 years ago

Hi,

I have a 1.3 acre lot in Oklahoma that is densly covered with mature oak. I have posted pictures

{{gwi:1251321}}

{{gwi:1251322}}
{{gwi:1251324}}
I've planted Common Lilac (Syringa Vulgaris) root stock 10' back from the proerty line at four foot intervals to form a privacy hedge (about 220 plants).

I have read that shaded lilacs are much less lilely to bloom. I'm not terribly worried about that, but I am concerned that the plants will not grow properly (10-12' tall and wide). Have any of you seen lilacs grow well in medium to heavy shade? Have you sen them flower in such an environment.

Folks, I've heard tons of opinions, many of which are contrary: I'm interested in responses by people that actually have first-hand experience with such things. Don't mean to be rude, I suppose I'm just tired of trying to decipher fact from fiction. For example, you may wonder why I'm posting this AFTER planting them. Various non-Internet sources said it wouldn't be a problem.

I wish I'd known about this forum before planting. I posted to the Oklahoma forum, and they were very helpfull, but I realize now that I should have pursued the shade question more thoroughly...

Many thanks for your help.

Comments (9)

Sponsored