skohler
18 years ago

WOW

Can you all believe that March Is the end of our

1 yr Birthday Club & Let me say I really enjoyed

Playing :)) all of you were wounderful players

thank you all.

Now its Time to light the candles for poochella

I will be sending her info to each of you .

But I have also Ask for pooch to add maybe a

little more Info here .

I found this cake on Another forum :(( I didnt know

where to find them hope you don't mind :))

JUST WANT TO WISH THE BIGGEST BIRTHDAY MONTH

EVER:))

susie

BEST WISHES &

Comments (54)

• Poochella
    18 years ago

Tina- you will have all sizes of doggies covered: small, medium and supersized! Lucky girl! I saw a mastiff online that was 245 lbs. That's a lot of Milk Bones or dog calories! Can you imagine a dog that size? I would love to see your mastiff/lab mix- a sweet disposition I'm sure.

I thought of something today regarding the regional treats, an idea I really like. I would love to have a recipe for something that is noted or typical in your part of the country too, not necessarily a bought treat. Jambalaya from the south, hush puppies, fricasee'd cacti, whale blubber fritatta: whatever idea you think represents your area would be so great. So put on your thinking caps on that one....

Tina, I highly recommend photobucket.com for online photo storage and easy posting of photos from there. Look it over and email me if you have questions; I'd be glad to help you. So easy, even I can do it!

• Poochella
    18 years ago

Well, the postman rang once today, but TWICE from our hostess with the mostess: SUSIE! You little stinker! I told you you already mailed my bday box last fall and here arrived another one full of goodies today! LOL- you really spoiled me now!
    I love the hanging basket and liner. I used to make my own moss lined baskets but this looks so much easier. And the polyanthus seeds I will start up pronto- love the colors, a striped mix! Those will jazz up my rail riding boxes in front, for sure.
    I am now decked out with St Patty's earrings and delicate little Shamrock windchimes- so pretty in green, my favorite color!
    If I'd quit spending money I could put some sheckels in a wonderful ceramic watering can bank! So cute, I love it and the saying on it too.
    Peppered through layers of the box were treats for busy gardeners: chocolate hearts and cheesy pretzel packs! Those are so nice to grab on the go.

The 5 felines will love the rolly ball. We usually hear those being batted about the house at about 2 a.m.! They love toys.
    The dog is in her glory with the chewy treat AND puperonis-another favorite around here. I could barely get the camera in time to capture the carnivore working on that bone Sue!
    She and they and I thank you. My hubby is jealous LOL! I'll give him a pretzel. You are one of the most generous souls out there. I loved my card and note enclosed as well. It's decking my garden window by the sink, beneath the shamrock chimes and I've surely got the luck of the Irish now having you for a pal!
    Thank you so very much for all these goodies ANd again for the plants sent last year. The hollyhocks have been greening up since early January. Can you believe that?
    XX
    Pooch and the carnivore Roxy

• Related Discussions

UPDATE: sue's b.c robin january hummingbirddaisy

Q

Comments (32)
    Great Tina, I will duly note those plants to be sent to you when it quits raining here and thaws there for good in Spring. That is very cool about the 'Jack' memorial planting. Glad to contribute to his honor. Earthly, The puppy is being a puppy! How could you not love him? I recommend lots of chew toys, Kongs are good stuffed with a treat or peanut butter. Maybe bitter apple spray on stuff he's not supposed to chew. LOL- don't know how it affects plants! I'm doing fine. I am taking a hiatus from the swap scene for a bit to concentrate on work. ICK! Am I nuts, or what? DD loves school in southern Cal and just returned there after a month winter break at home. She's wonderful and we miss her, but it's very exciting to see her spread her wings and discover things of interest in and out of school. She thought this program (link) reaching out to pre-adolescent girls would be a good volunteer opportunity and was just accepted into training. She loves going to schools to teach and interact with the kids. Good for her. We are about to get blown of the map with an incoming storm so I'm trying to do all things requiring electricity NOW! And if we miss that Superbowl because of a power outage, which are common out here in the heavily treed boonies, I will be one crazed woman! If everyone would just root for the Seahawks for me, I'd be much obliged. They are accustomed to huge, loud fan support and this game is clearly stacked in favor of the opposition in terms of fans. Time to plug in the rechargeable radio before it's too late.... Even if you hate football, just OHMMMMMM think positively for the home team here: we've never had a team even go to the Superbowl before now. Thank you! You all stay warm and dry, and I'll be working on Shelby Ray mom/Tammy's birthday box in the days to come, assuming I am not out giving my chainsaw a good workout to clear the house of fallen trees :( Here is a link that might be useful: Girls, Inc.
    ...See More

UPDATE: Garden Circle Exchange Ring 2005 March Continued

Q

Comments (35)
    I guess technically this should be on the April post but I just couldn't wait to thank my Secret Pal! I got a package in the mail for April Fool's Day! I don't think I've ever received an April Fool's gift, but hey, I like it! My pal sent me a coloring and activity book with crayons which I'll put to good use at a family gathering I'm going to next week. It'll help me keep the little ones entertained. My pal sent me a pet also! A dust bunny! It says it's easy to care for, loves spider webs, enjoys hiding under the bed, low maintenance, multiplies rapidly, and is especially active at night. It's so cute! Now what should I name it? My pal also sent a Stress Buster. It's bubble wrap in a bag for "When you are stressed & full of troubles just grab a piece & smash some bubbles!". Also very cute! And last, but not least, my pal included a beautiful card wishing me a Happy April Fool's Day and a Happy Spring too. Thanks again Secret Pal! It's always good to hear your wonderful wishes.
    ...See More

update: 'garden decorating round robin' come join us

Q

Comments (82)
    Thanks MKRuby, I look forward to the 6th to see who I'll be trading with, I have already started on my May box in an effort to be on time this month. I hope you can use some of the plants I sent to you. Your in a climate similar to mine and everything I sent does well here. I am excited to see my first trade box too. I will post when it arrives and let everyone know about the goodies I get. Thank you for doing this monthly trade, I know it is a huge undertaking and your very appreciated for doing it.
    ...See More

UPDATE: Winter blues round robin

Q

Comments (72)
    Well The robin landed back home!!!! OH MY GOSH I DONT BELIEVE HOW BIG THIS THANG GOT!!! YOu guys the gifts are wonderful I loved each one of them!! IN one there was chocholate and needless to say it is gone I also recieved a realy nice tera cotta sun plaque that I will hang out side on the house today.a package of plant lables the metal kind , a very very cute angel windchime, a spring time wind sock,three candles,wallpaper border , miracle grow plant food ,a tea towel, gosh the list goes on and on . What a blast I had opening this bird! I read the journal and loved it! Most of you are about tha same age as me ,wich I thought was pretty kool. Amanda thanks for the pic ,what a nice looking family! You look alot like my lil sis.8 years younger and 5 inches taller than me. (I am only 5' tall). Went thru the seeds and took out what I would like to grow and I have posted to give the rest to two newbies. I could never use all those seeds!! Thank you Each and every one for joining in this robin and making it so much fun!! Kelley
    ...See More
  • skohler
    Original Author
    18 years ago

pooch you are very welcome for I enjoyed all my gifts from you :)) as do many of the others .
    sure going to miss this robin it has been such a delight sharing with all my gardening friends .

looking forward to read what other good trinkets you get:))

susie

• beth_b_kodiak
    18 years ago

It's in the mail DC#03052200000018098444 Since you are only one state away it may get there before they get any updates posted on the website.
    I just love your dog, She is such a sweetie. Have a good weekend.
    PS: Poocherella, My very favorite Alaskan treat is Halibut Cheeks but I'm betting you can only get them if you know a fisherman. I have never seen them available comercially. They look and taste like scallops but definately better and they really are just what they say.... cheek meat from big ole halibut.

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

pooch, i am working on your box. what's left is the "local" item. i'm working on that too, trying to decide. great idea, by the way. beth had me in a swap and sent me all alaska stuff, great idea.

sue, this swap has been wonderful and rates tops on my swap list. it's been a real honor playing in this birthday robin which each and everyone of you. thank you all again the generosity you showed me.

maryanne/earthly

• Poochella
    18 years ago

Well, I have the luck this month for sure! Dearest Beth your box arrived moments ago. Filled with green for spring and St Patty's spirit. There is a luscious bag of "Rain Forest" Potpourri- yummy fresh scents. Green Hostess Puffs treats! A squeaky frog for the furry beast- she'll haul that around like a queen! Green frog bath bubbler, Irish Spring soap and a green froggy bath puff. I'll be the cleanest birthday gal around! There's an edible candy egg sculpted with a frog inside. I couldn't imagine this was edible til I saw "nutrition info" on the label! It looks like a carving, and I may keep it as such for a little Easter decoration. (then eat it later LOL)

There is a wonderful looking recipe for scones, a jar of lemon curd which I've never tried but will look forward to-I love lemon, and even tea to round out my breakfast a la Beth B! Did you know WA is known for scones at our Western WA State Fair?

Bag Balm- in the green tin, of course, is also included and that is widely used here for man, woman, and goat! Great stuff for protecting hands and healing sore ones. I really needed that last Fall and will need it soon for Spring digging-like-crazy. If I posted a photo of my hands from winter you'd all gag, so I won't. But I could. But let me just say that lotions/salves/balms and gloves are as helpful to me as two arms and legs!

Last, but not least the cutest dark green frog ceramic piece which holds a bud vase! I am sad to report an upper leaf and one foot broke off in transit :( but I can fix the leaf with super glue I'm sure and the foot with a daub of green color. There will be plenty of dahlias to adorn that happy little group of amphibians, not to worry. I can see it fitting in perfectly on my kitchen sink shelf- a favorite place for flowers.

Thank you so much, my pal Beth for sharing your recipe- great recipe card BTW, your treats, your wonderful themed box of goodies and note. You rock! I have such a frog collection, largely from you :) We do get to enjoy halibut cheeks here seasonally! It's just a hop skip and jump from Alaska, you know. Halibut is one of our faves on the grill. Yummy... I think Mr Poochella has caught some lunker halibuts up in AK in years past. Always a thrill to land those huge ones.

I look forward to enjoying all your gifts and thank you again from the bottom of my heart, as always!

Annie

• beth_b_kodiak
    18 years ago

Annie, sorry to hear the froggy piece was damaged. I did insure the box but sometimes it is more trouble than it is worth to get through the red tape.
    BTW, that was very quick delivery as I only mailed it Saturday.
    Happy Day, BB

• veeja11
    18 years ago

How in the world did I miss out on this swap ? all my oldie favorites are here, nice to see you are still alive poochey

• Poochella
    18 years ago

Ha Ha! Thanks Veeja- Good to see you. I'm preparing to get blown off the map again with our incoming winter blast. Are you? I have the worst illness-at-ease about the wind and trees by our house. Can't explain it, except we lost a huge tree down by the creek over the weekend that has me nervous. And here I was just thoroughly convinced it was spring. Crocus blooming, rockcress blooming, mini iris blooming, brush blooming perennials popping upwards daily.... Snow possible tonight and tomorrow, big winds, heavy rains Spring's on hold :(

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

hey pooch,

your box is packed and ready to go. it will be mailed hopefully tomorrow or thursday at the latest. i hope it gets there in time for the birthday that you share with my mom!

also, in case you haven't read, sue is in the hospital. she has a blood clot in her lung - she's on meds and complete bed rest, she's hoping to be home by the weekend, but there are still some concerns, so that is iffy.

i posted all the hospital information in a thread and i assume we all still have her home address. if not, please e-mail me and i'll share it with you, if any of you are so inclined to send a get well card.

i hope everyone has sent or is getting ready to send their box to pooch as we wrap up this wonderful year-long swap!

be well everyone!

maryanne/earthly

• Poochella
    18 years ago

I shall be on the Earthly Box Watch. Whenever it arrives, will brighten my day. Thanks Earthly. Every year my birthday coincides with the first local dahlia tuber sales! How cool is that? I'm on that like flies on honey : )

Thanks for letting us know about Sue too. Scary thing those clots. Who was it here on GW who mailed a swap box on their way to the ER for the same problem? Mellen? or DJM? I just remember thinking, WOW- they are devoted swappers!
    Happy St Patty's Day to all!
    Pooch

• skohler
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey pooch
    just wanted to check in to be sure our players are on the ball with your boxes :)))
    I wish to take this time to say thank you to all our players from this robin going to miss you all.

jan----hummingbirddaisy
    feb--sunny surprise(aka)shelbyraymom
    mar-- poochella
    april--Mellen
    may---earthly Delight
    June--plantlady
    July -- skohler
    Aug-- djm906
    sept-- Beth
    oct -- free
    Nov--- Xmas
    Dec-- Creekmom
    I hope you recieve all your boxes if anyone can send at this time please be kind & let us know .

Mellen you was sick too ??? sorry to hear that .
    I'm on the mend but still aways to go yet .
    clots are no fun .
    I would not of had the clot in the lung if our local er room would have taken the proper test on me , I 'm so mad at them & I will not go back to that er room . :((
    well poo I hope you had a great month :))
    hugs
    susie

• PlantladyJan
    18 years ago

Just a quick note .....I haven't been able to get my package out to Pooch but please be aware it will be sent shortly!! This has been a fun swap and I hate to see it end!! I guess that is why I am dragging on this month! Not really sorry for my lateness. Everytime I look at this thread I can't get past Pooch's dog! So cute! Actually I have been thinking about getting a puppy and I would love to have one like Poochs'!! But then again my heart still loves the husky breed! Maybe this is why I haven't gotten a puppy yet! I want them all! Thanks for your understanding Pooch!! You will be getting a package soon! Take care!

• Poochella
    18 years ago

I had the most wonderful birthday yesterday! Our daughter flew up from California for the long weekend- always good to see her. It was a beautiful day with bright blue sunny skies and 56 degrees (almost T shirt, not quite) and then enjoyed a fine dinner with friends. Two gorgeous bouquets which I broke into 3 adorn the house, I got to work in the yard much of the day and shopped for dahlia tubers the day before LOL!
    It was a great, great day. Nobody fret about any delay. I am perfectly content to wait and let my birthday linger all month long.

Sue I'm glad you're on the mend, not so glad about the ER missing your diagnosis. That's medicine- half science, half art.

Where did I miss the part about Mellen being sick? Mellen: get well!

Jan, my dog Roxy is a garden variety mutt: half Golden, half lab or spaniel- she's not telling. She is a very devoted pet. I cannot imagine being without a dog of some sort, and like you, I love them all (except those naked hairless ones or Chinese Cresteds.) I don't ask for much, but I do prefer fur on a dog or cat!

Earthly, did you get my email about the campanula that might have been interspersed with the Boltonia I sent you waaaaaaaay back when? If not, post here and I'll give you the sordid lowdown : )

Happy Spring everyone!

• Joyce Knight
    18 years ago

Hi Pooch, And Happy Belated Birthday! I just wanted to let you know that I have not forgotten you. I just recently started a new job and it seems to be taking all of my time.At least I got my pond plants divided this past week-end. They were busting right out of their pots. I will definitely try to get your box out this week-end. Joyce/CreekMom

• djm906
    18 years ago

Hi Pooch, I have not forgotten you either, by this weekend I hope to get the Feb and March boxes out. Sue, Iam so sorry to hear about your blood clot. It is not fun, welcome to the world of coumadin!
    I am not allowed to drive yet, I have a visiting nurse starting once a week, and 2 therapists 3 times a week, so will have to sneak out in the car in between visits to get my boxes filled and mailed. Be patient a little longer! Thanks my friends, Hugs, Doris

• mellen
    18 years ago

Hi Pooch, I have some things ready to go for you. I have a few more things in mind that I want to get. I will let you know when your gift is on its way. Mellen

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

booo hooo, where is my box, it should have been there by now.

pooch, please tell me about the campanula and boltonia. i remember something growing low around it. you are talking about an aster, right? or am i really off base?

doris, glad to hear you are getting better. however, wouldn't it be better if someone else did the driving?

my mother is on that blood thinner and they keep changing her dosage - i personally think her doc is a quack changing it constantly and feel she should see a hemotologist. she's content with him - go figure. they do say it is a very dangerous medication. whatever happened to the 81mg baby aspirin instead?

pooch, sounds like a very nice birthday indeed!

be well everyone,
    maryanne/earthly

• Poochella
    18 years ago

I've been on box watch Earthly, nothing so far. The PO will usually drive packages up to the house, or leave a 'pick up' notice in the mailbox on the road. Perhaps today, I will post soon after it gets here.

The Boltonia must be a member of the aster family. (see link) It's the tall (4ft) small, white dainty bloomer. I tried to fish out a low growing campanula that had interspersed in that area. It creeps out slowly in all directions, small blue flowers and foliage gets to about 6 inches tall. So before I sent it to both you and Sue I thought I got the roots campanula free, but now I find this sprouting up!
    The stems are old boltonia, the green stuff is not only campanula but invading Monarda!

Here's a close up of the campanula leaf- approx 1.5 inches across, serrated edges, roughly heart shaped, doesn't smell like monarda. Gosh if you guys got monarda I would dig up and burn the whole mass! I do apologize. I had such well behaved monarda before- it never spread until this variety "Gardenview Scarlet" It is going everywhere! If I sent any other birthday gals this monarda, get rid of it and say good riddance. Only the hummingbirds will be sad to see it go!

Here is a link that might be useful: Boltonia asteroides

• PlantladyJan
    18 years ago

Pooch
    Please email me with your address!! Sorry I have misplaced it!! Thanks in advance for your assistance!! Hugs to your dog!! So adorable!

• Poochella
    18 years ago

Jan, I'll email you a photo of the dog too LOL as a bonus!

Earthly- no box today : ( Did you put DC on it?

• skohler
    Original Author
    18 years ago

earthly
    your mom might be on heperine blood thin when on that you have to go more often for blood work for the protine level , the cumadine i have to go once a month to be tested
    for the next 6 months :((((

when I was on heperine I went every few days to be tested
    no fun hate needles .
    anyway I'm sure your mother is not happy being poked
    earthly there is a good reason for her to be on this med go with her & ask her dr & you will better understand what is going on with your mom's health
    I'm sure your mom would like to share with you & could
    Use your opion & help her to ask her dr why :)))
    will time to lay back . chat with you all later .
    susie

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

sue, i take my mom to her appointments, am well aware of her history, take prescriptions to the pharmacy and pick them up and know all about the meds. i take care of my mother. and she is on cudamin. hep was only when she was hospitalized, it was a drip. i fully understand the need. what i was saying is her doctor is a QUACK, he just keeps changing her dosage.

pooch, i'm going to hurt you LOL i have that stuff EVERYWHERE! LOL

yes, i used confirmation, the slip is sitting in my desk at work. i'll check on it tomorrow and post. i went to a different post office this time, one on my way to work. let's hope for tomorrow.

does anyone remember/ever see alison (dawiff) anymore? i never see her post.

be well, happy blooms
    earthly

• Poochella
    18 years ago

I am so torqued! I had a whole big answer/post typed and POOF I got frozen/blown off/paralyzed with the rare, yet hateful big blue error message that shuts down Microsoft for good. Didn't know if I'd be back EVER, or not. Whew.

So Earthly, I'll give you the shortened version: Don't hate me! I swear if you have the campanula you'll be fine in a year or two of eradication; if you have the monarda- well, pray for a good sales price on your home when you sell it to escape the creeping spreader. "Sleep, Creep Leap" turned into Sleep Creep Weep for that perennial. I swear it behaved very nicely in years 1 and 2. Year 3-- not so much LOL! It is an excellent hummingbird attractant (oh Lord, I know I sent I to more people for that very reason!) but this year it's spread so much I think pterodactyls might be hovering if they like red! I am so sorry. You will know it's monarda by a pinkish, reddish tinge to the spreading runners, and a piquant smell when you savagely rip it from its moorings. I recommend you burn it or bury it in a time capsule encased in cement in your yard for future generations to enjoy.

Second, it is not unusual at all to change coumadin doses weekly; the dose is all based on lab results and you want an accurate dose to avoid extremes when it comes to clotting. Ask Sue! It may not even be handled by your mom's doctor, but by an anticoagulation clinic who does nothing but manage those labs/doses for doctors. He may be less than desirable in other respects, but don't hold the dosage changes against him. My two cents.

I asked the hubby if he hijacked a box for me to his car, but he hasn't (that he's admitting.) Don't worry about it, but I know I'd be wondering if I mailed too, so worry a little bit, but don't fret. You have bigger things to worry about like creeping campanulas and beebalms! Yikes! I can send you Round Up! Puppy treats? Puppy toys? Truffles? What will make it up to you?

And Sue, when you're up and at 'em and weather permits, please check those same plants carefully and watch the skies for pterodactyls- you might have suffered the same plant fate as Earthly. With pals like me, who needs enemies?

• Poochella
    18 years ago

Earthly, I received the "We missed you- pick up box at PO" notice in today's mail. It's article no. 0305271000031420-8095 but doesn't specify a sender. Just wanted to put your mind at ease, in case it's you. Or are you out with a flamethrower going on a midnight run of monarda eradication?

• Poochella
    18 years ago

I made my wonderful DH go to the PO to get the mystery box I missed yesterday while at work, indeed from Philadelphia PA. Earthly, I am so spoiled by your generosity and amazed by the treasure trove you packed inside! How on earth did you find Tasty Kakes? Two flavors! And gigantic hershey kiss style fine chocolates with hazel nuts inside YUM! AND After 8 Mints which I savor, along with Good and Plentys for dessert! No need for me to cook dinner tonight LOL! I have treats to last through the hectic spring toil ahead of me.

Thank you, thank you for the gloves, the Happy Birthday windchimes-"mutual affinity" applies dearest Earthly, and the variety of asiatic lily bulbs. They will be welcome additions here, believe me. I never tire of chimes and lovely little tinkly noises or blooming flowers!

Oh my gosh woman! Twisty, frog faced plant ties, a 'bug off' insect repellant bracelet that glows in the dark (I'll be playing with that at all hours LOL,) a mini soil test kit I've never seen before- perfect for testing the soils for my big dahlia patch! The more blooms the better.

More goodies so welcome and in yellowy/gold which matches my (cluttered) kitchen counter: Bee Happy notes/pencil, fridge magnet and darling sticky notes! I go through tons of these things reminding me of things that need remembering!

There is a wonderful postcard highlighting all things Pennsylvania- State Flower: Mountain Laurel, State bird: Ruffled Quail, and I think a picture of a deer which must be the State Menace LOL. How nice to get a little geography lesson along with so many wonderful garden gifts all in festive birthday gift bags! I had a little party just unloading the box!

And my favorite gift from a thoughtful pal, a wonderful book of Dahlias with so many eautiful colored photos and helpful growing tips! I will ogle that for many, many hours- already have.

Earthly, my friend, you have outdone yourself and made my birthday month an ongoing occasion to celebrate. Thank you so very much!
    Annie

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

pooch, i am so glad that you enjoyed the box. i so enjoyed putting it together for you. glad to hear you had a wonderful birthday and a great birthday month of boxed surprises.

the food items i put in there are all from this area. i sort of recall once before (i believe it was you) mentioning tasty kakes, or am i that confused? and i sure hope you didn't have that particular dahlia book. they are beautiful plants for sure.

sue, again thanks for assembling a wonderful group of people and a great year of caring and surprises for each of us.

maryanne/earthly

• Poochella
    18 years ago

Hey Earthly you have a good memory: not only did Beth bestow Tasty Kakes upon me, but I have photographic evidence LOL!

I was just wondering last night (snarfing down some of your treats after a very long day in the yard) which of them might be Pennsylvania locals. Now I know! Your state has excellent taste in treats. Oh those two toned chocolates- WOW!

The lilies will find their permanent location next to some I got from Brittney's Gran- already poking up heartily.

Many thanks again!

• mellen
    18 years ago

Poochella, your box will be going out today after work. The delivery confirmation # is:

0305 1720 0001 3914 3704

Mellen

• hummingbirddaisy
    18 years ago

Hi Pooch ~

I wanted to let you know that your package will be going out Sat. April 1st. I've found if I ship on Saturdays, the packages arrive that next Monday, and what I plan to ship is perishable. So, I want it to get to you pronto!
    Sorry so late. Hope you enjoy!
    Are you by chance a vegetarian? If so, I need to know, LoL.

Hug's, Tina

• Poochella
    18 years ago

I'll be on box watch 2006 ladies, and post their arrivals. Thank you very much.

Tina, I am a confirmed carnivore, but like a good veggie dish too!

Now... back outside to 62 degrees and sun! Wish I could be doing something fun in the gardens, but we had 4 trees taken down yesterday, 4 fruit trees extremely trimmed and several huge branches taken out so I can get more sun in my garden beds. Alas, I am the clean up crew with the sorest arm muscles in many months. Ibuprofen, here I come...

• Poochella
    18 years ago

Mellen! How very elated I was to find your box waiting on my doorstep after dragging home from a really long day at work and late traffic jam on the way home. Ugh. Seeing that box was an immediate pick-me-up and I was so grateful.

Thank you so much for the assortment of birthday goods. I love them all: Vivaldi Lilies which are growing so much I fear they'll burst the package- perfect colors for my hot pink yen this year in flower color! I love the triple planter in the white picket fence- so cute. What shall I put in there? I have several houseplant starts that might like to fill in the fence. I adore the blue birdhouse and blue/green photo frame. Our bathroom colors are going to be green and I can see a nice floral photo filling the space in there with your frame being the adorning touch.

My collection of garden angels just grew! I love the chubby cheeked, winged wonder angel! She will join a corn husk angel, a wooden angel and a ceramic one. Hopefully they will bring good gardening grace for me.

After I relax in the spicy currant fizzy bath with candle burning, I'm going to relish the spoon fudge- another delight I've not seen before. I really need to get out more! I was afraid I'd launch into it for supper tonight- I am so tired!

Mellen, your package is just what I needed to celebrate another day! Thank you so much for your wonderful gifts. It just rocks to be birthday girl! I have two days off now to plot locations of new trinkets and plant treasures, and I will think of you fondly while doing so.
    Thanks Mary Ellen!

I would love to hear how our hostesss Susie is feeling and doing these days. How about an update, Susie? Here: this will make you sick: it was so nice here two days ago I mowed the lawn! The maiden voyage of the ole lawn tractor with blades engaged. Whee! I love that first mow of the year. Spring is here.

• PlantladyJan
    18 years ago

Ok Pooch
    Just letting you know your package is finally ready and will be coming your way!! Sorry for being so late!

• mellen
    18 years ago

Dear Pooch, Happy to hear you liked your gifts. It was fun putting a package together for you! I bought a special BD card for you but forgot to put it in the box so sent it separately. You will see why I just HAD to send it. And you are MOWING??? We are nowhere near anything like that here. Still very brown. We are expecting severe storms here today, though. That just may get the grass to start growning. Need to get working. Have a blessed day, Mellen/Mary Ellen

• Poochella
    18 years ago

Mellen! Your card arrived yesterday and I nearly cried- not only is it hilariously perfect, but the dog looks so very like our departed beloved Golden- only in glasses and a feather boa LOL! Very big smiles here on seeing that one.

Hope you didn't get blasted by the storms overnight. Thank you again for the birthday wishes!

• djm906
    18 years ago

HI, Your box will be going out next week. I ended up last Monday in the hospital again and just got released this afternoon. (nasty virus and no immune system) I've just to pack the boxes. It sure will feel good to get caught up again!

• Poochella
    18 years ago

Okay Jan and Doris, I'll be on the watch, but believe me no pressure for anyone: this is a very very busy time of year for me.

Doris- please stay OUT of the hospital! You are supposed to be home rehabilitating in the peace and splendor of your surroundings. I hope you stay virus-free and beef up your resistance to such things pronto.

Off I go to get some supper before April sets in! LOL-way too busy this evening dilly dallying with the dahlias.

• djm906
    18 years ago

Hey, I mailed your box today! I have the confirmation number if we need. Hope you will like! (Hoping to stay well except I have the visiting nurse come once a week! Not supposed to drive yet, so I had to sneak out early before she came today to mail box!) Doris

• Poochella
    18 years ago

Doris, don't get the nurse mad at you- she has sharp needles! I am still enjoying the wondeful box you sent at Christmas! I shall be on the lookout for the new one. Yesterday and today alone 4 boxes of dahlias arrived- it's like Heaven right here in WA.

Take care of yourself now.
    Pooch

• Poochella
    18 years ago

Another wonderful box sat tempting me since late morning. But I insisted on getting my work done before I rewarded myself by opening it up!

Thank you so much DJM! To know how you've been laid up lately and still find so many wonderful treasures is truly moving. I absolutely adore all the things you sent!
    Two English Garden Magazines which will entertain me for hours. A most intriguing book by Sandra Gotlieb (current or former Prime Minister of Canada's wife) on "Dogs, Houses, Gardens, Food & other addictions!" right up my alley: "a combination of Lucille Ball and Dorothy Parker!" Can't wait to dive in!

Absolutely nasty book with photos: a Guide to Roses! DJM you evil temptress! Do you know how well roses go with dahlias? I'm already oohing and ahhing, plotting and scheming! I will relish each photo and pray for a rototiller to drop into my life soon LOL!

When spring planting gets under way I will smell less like goat poop compost and more like fresh Hawaiian Ginger body spritz- everyone will be thankful! When the 4th of July rolls around, or any old time really, I am armed with cute star floating candles in red/white/blue! I am very patriotic so I especially like these. Thank you!

Rounding out my ever-growing angel collection: Doris I don't know how you did it, but the cute Country Angel hanging is just perfect. Buttons and bows, wires and wood cuttings: how clever crafty people are these days! And my very favorite addition is a country-clad angel teddy bear with attire that would work at Christmas as well! It's a triple winner: teddy bear, angel, Christmas decor!

I just love it all and was near tears unwrapping Doris.
    You are my hero for the day/the month/ the year, especially since your death-defying maneuver to outpace the nurse on the way to the Post Office LOL!

Thank you so very much for your gifts and the beautiful iris card and greetings! Are they from your garden last year? Beautiful colors and light in that photo.
    Thanks again!
    Your Pal
    Poochella

• Poochella
    18 years ago

Wait! Wait! I forgot the most beautiful thing in DJM's box because I'm not sure what it is LOL! It's the most gorgeous butterfly with inlaid blue/amber and purple on a 5-6 inch gold spike. Surely, too pretty to be a planter spike. I am going to call it a letter opener. I hope it's not a hat pin because I don't wear fancy hats much, nor a hair pin because I have next to no hair in which to place it LOL! It is truly lovely Doris, and I'm sorry I forgot it: it was sitting right here by the keyboard too. Very, very stunning in its artistry.
    Pooch

• PlantladyJan
    18 years ago

Ok Pooch just wondering if my package has arrived yet? I hope you get it no later than today!

• djm906
    18 years ago

I didn't know what the butterfly thing was either. Sister in law gave it to me at Christmas. Could it be a book mark?
    I am so glad you liked what I sent. Thank heavens for the stash I have! I dearly love the English mags myself. Some of the gardens are so beautiful. Same kind of flowers we have! (we just don't have the gardeners) The nurse had no idea I left the house earlier Weds, I just sat there with my innocent look! Works every time!

• Poochella
    18 years ago

LOL Innocent DJM with doe eyes saying "Who me, drive?"

I bolted upright from a deep sleep at 4 a.m. and said "BOOKMARK!" It was really niggling at my puny brain all evening! It is the most beautiful bookmark I've ever owned!

Yes! Jan your wonderful box complete with Michigan waterfront postcard arrived today- a welcome arrival after a long work day.

I am so grateful you are looking out for my animals! You know me so well: Feline Greenies which are like little 'tempt me' pellets to those felines! They love em!
    And the doggy chews, and shampoos are much appreciated (well, the shampoos will be met with resistance LOL but much appreciated by we humans!) And Roxy will love you forever for the treats! See smiley, slobbery face here:

Jan you don't know how timely your 'foofy' nail care kit is! I've been looking all over for my clear nail polish to preserve my nails for the tough spring workout ahead. Cuticles are in bad shape and POOF: here is an entire nail care supply before my eyes! Thank you so much! And the yummy energy bar of soap will soothe my weary self as the spring marathon outdoors draws nigh.

I can't thank you enough for the rubber grippy gloves- I go through tons of them and change them up to 4 times a day if they get wet/too muddy. Can't have enough gloves!

The bright delightful ladybug chimes are going to have to join me by the garage garden beds- the house eaves are full! Hopefully they will lure in some lady beetles, and if not; I'll enjoy their soothing sounds in a breeze as I work away.

I love the notepaper and envelopes. My elderly mom we call "The great communicator" writes letters faithfully to so many people every day, so we try to return the favor (she doesn't have email!) and she will so love receiving those flowery/country/rustic notes, as did I!

And finally something I have not seen before, but laughed at because I am old enough to remember "Fizzies," the little tablets you dropped in water to make a carbonated drink as kids (if your Mom, the great nutritionist/communicator, would let you have Fizzies....)
    They're Miracle Grow Fizzies! I will use them on my houseplants and deck/rail rider planters/pots in weeks to come!

Thank you so much Jan for your wonderful suprises and nice note- from me, and the furry beasts! You have a spot in our hearts forever!

• Joyce Knight
    18 years ago

Hi Pooch, Just wanted to let you know that your box finally went out on Saturday. Sorry for being so late. Joyce

• PlantladyJan
    18 years ago

Hi Pooch
    Thanks for letting me know the package arrived. I am glad you like the gifts. I was feeling bad because I can't really send plants yet. The nights are still below 30! Will spring ever come? Please send it my way...as I am so ready!!
    Pooch could never forget the critters! I have so enjoyed all the posting with your dog photos!! Enjoy her! I am getting real close to getting a puppy I just am not complete without one!
    Thanks for your friendship over the past year! I hope you will find the time to keep in touch with us here at GW!!
    You are a real gem girlfriend! Take care.

• Poochella
    18 years ago

Joyce, your box arrived, actually yesterday so I am late in posting, but send my mighty thanks to you regardless. Thank you so much for the lovely garden photo frame, tea and huge mug! I was just wishing I had a larger mug and my wish was granted! I will relish the healing garden lotions/potions YUM and the gourmet cookies as well.

We have closets that always mildew so the cedar storage blocks are very, very welcome! Reminds me to get in there and do some spring cleaning LOL.

Outdoors will go the dutch iris, one of my favorites of the early spring bloomersand the freesias, so pretty! There is a lovely seashell motif pot I can put in the kitchen window when I'm done using the bath salts enclosed within. You're spoiling me!

I love the note you enclosed and your recipe for frogmore stew! Thanks for remembering- I'll give it a whirl this summer. There was one item that did not survive the shipping, a gray ceramic candle holder? Honestly I couldn't tell, but it had a lovely dragonfly on it, alas in many pieces. So sorry.

Thank you Joyce for stretching out my birthday even further and helping me celebrate. I hope your new job allows you enough time to relax in your own gardens a bit.
    Thank you again!
    Pooch

• Poochella
    18 years ago

Well aren't I the lucky dog! I got to meet Beth B Kodiak, live and in person in a whirlwind dinner and quick tour of Veeja's garden right here in the greater Seattle area. We had a wonderful dinner and chat and Beth is just as nice in person as online LOL! Nicer even!

Happy and Safe Travels to my pal Beth and thanks to Veeja and her hubby for inviting us over, even if so briefly before Beth had to fly out again.

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

WOW, i don't really possess the jealousy emotion, but i could...how wonderful that you three shared time and a meal together. what a memory. so pooch, i take it you are not too far from carol? and beth, were you just travelling, or her on business? wow wow wow!

i'll patiently wait on pictures, if they were taken!

• Poochella
    18 years ago

Not terribly far from Carol at all- maybe 15 miles as the crow flies. Alas, only Beth remembered her camera and there was no time to dig it out of luggage for photos! We will just have to remain a mystery LOL.

It was absolutely marvelous to meet Beth- she's just as vivacious and generous as ever- brought us plants on the plane from Fairbanks. What a gem! ( jealous yet Earthly? LOL!) Thank you Beth, if you are out there, your plants are both potted up and looking great.
    Happy Easter to all.
    Pooch