SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rich_dufresne

A Travelogue of the Salvia Summit at Cabrillo College, August 200

rich_dufresne
15 years ago

For the next few days, I will be sending out a preview of a web page that I will shortly create of pictures taken at this year's Salvia Summit at Cabrillo College

Besides the gardens there, I took trips to the gardens of Sandi Martin and Ginny Hunt, in the hills above Cabrillo in Aptos. The Cabrillo garden is just above the narrow coastal plane by about 100 feet. The last set of images comes from Betsy Clebsch's garden on Skyline Drive, just down from the crest towards the Pacific Ocean.

This is not the optimum time of year for maximum salvia bloom. The best time of year is October through December, and probably when spring breaks February on.until it starts to get hot.

The first image is of Salvia lasiantha, a sage I have long lusted for.

{{gwi:1247673}}

The next is Salvia flocculosa at Sandi Martin's garden. It is like a 10 foot tall S. chamaedryoides on steroids, Lots of flowers, though smaller

{{gwi:1247675}}

Next is a closeup of Salvia curviflora, as a 5 gallon pot in the Cabrillo Bot Garden nursery. I expect it to be a good hummer plant along the Gulf Coast as well as the Pacific.

{{gwi:1247677}}

Finally. a Salvia sagittata x macrophylla hybrid from Betsy Clebsch's garden. It has the vigor and durability of macrophylla and much of the form of sagittata. I think it will do well as a temperennial and also in the southeastern USA.

{{gwi:1247678}}

More later.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor