SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diene_gw

new: new march-garden decorating round robin

diene
17 years ago

Hello All;

This is round three of the monthly exchange started by Deb in January. You can join just this one or continue if you have been part of the previous two swaps. If you were in the previous swaps, please send me your previous partners so I can try and put you with someone different. The theme for this is garden books/mag, plant markers and windchimes. The swap begins March 1st, people will be paired up on that day and should have their boxes done by the 15th at the latest. That will keep this to the month of March (accounting for late shipments) and allow April's swap to start on time. Any questions, please contact me but I will be looking for some guidance from Deb on the rules (do you have any to post?) diene

Comments (43)

• susandonb
    17 years ago

I would like to join this one.

Thank you,
    Susan

• Melinda Hagen
    17 years ago

I would also like to join in on this one. Thanks, Melinda

• Related Discussions

NEW: oh wow, where did you get that? garden round robin

Q

Comments (31)
    GardenHits-- I just sent my info to you again via this forum's e-mail link. Sometimes this CRANKY, old computer of mine (born 1999) doesn't send out my messages...instead, they just sit in my outbox and I often don't think to check and make sure they went out. Hopefully, you'll receive it this time. Would you please acknowledge either way whether or not you received my message, and if necessary, I'll send you a postcard with the info via snail mail. Best to all, tlr
    ...See More

new: mnf: february round robin

Q

Comments (150)
    Today has been the BESTEST day ever!! I finally had enough extra $$ to go buy the soil and amendments I need to do my WS'ing. Then my grandmother asked me to go w/ her and my aunt to Costco to p/u the items for a reunion this wkend. They always have me cook most everything. I suppose that's a compliment! lol Meanwhile she kept offering to buy me this n that and ended up buying me almost $100 worth of groceries (what a HUGE blessing right now!!) Then I was browsing some cookbooks and found a FANTASTIC huge cookbook on baking homemade bread and alllll kinds of bakery items. I planned to buy it myself, and she insisted on buying that too, then asked if I was going to use a bread machine to make the bread, I said no, gonna do it the old fashioned way! We don't own one. She says well, you do now. She got one for Christmas and didn't want it so it's brand spanking new! WOOHOOOOOO!!! THEN she handed me $100 to go towards a $350 tire purchase I'm saving to make. This day was better than Christmas!! lol THEN I got home and the mailman knocked on my door with the RR box!! YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!! I've got to run now to p/u kids from school tho I'm dying to get my hands into it! I'll post again this eve w/ an update of what goodies I decided I couldn't live w/out! :) Oh.. and I gotta brag.. it's 67degrees and SUNNY today!! ~Happy me
    ...See More

update: 'garden decorating round robin' come join us

Q

Comments (82)
    Thanks MKRuby, I look forward to the 6th to see who I'll be trading with, I have already started on my May box in an effort to be on time this month. I hope you can use some of the plants I sent to you. Your in a climate similar to mine and everything I sent does well here. I am excited to see my first trade box too. I will post when it arrives and let everyone know about the goodies I get. Thank you for doing this monthly trade, I know it is a huge undertaking and your very appreciated for doing it.
    ...See More

new: taking new sign-ups for 'garden decorating rr'

Q

Comments (14)
    We have four new members. They are ggwrn, smmjohnson2000, kellyinflorida and scouttiegirl. Is there anyone else who like to join ? This sign-up is for May and on. mkruby7
    ...See More
  • snyder
    17 years ago

Count me in. Ann(snyder) I have sent to Sue in ariz and Tina, have received from Mickrey and Debya.

• diene
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Welcome ladies: This is going to be fun!!

• sguanzon
    17 years ago

Hi, I'm in for this month too. This swap has been going on for quite a long time. I'm going to have to look back and put together all the people I've sent to and received one. I'll try to email you that info.

• astilbebstillz6a
    17 years ago

Hi Diene,
    I'm fairly new to Garden Web and I have never participated in this type of swap, but I would like to join. It sounds like alot of fun! Thanks so much...Marylee

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

March- Garden books/magazines, plant markers, Windchimes/bells, seeds/supplies. Hostess-Diene

April- Theme to be announced.. Hostess-Laura
    May- Hostess-Susan
    June- Plant swap(?)
    July- "Christmas in July" ~Red/White/Blue~ flowered plant, seed swap(?)
    August- Hostess-Tina
    September- "Fall" plant swap(?)
    October- Bulb/tuber swap(?)
    November- Hostess-Susan
    December- Christmas Swap or "Secret Santa"(?)

Diene,
    Count me in too!
    As for swap rules...
    All packages must be sent with delivery confirmation, and please post the confirmation number on this thread. It allows us to track the package, and proves that you sent your end of the trade out. Please post when your package is sent out, and when you receive. Any one can join! All are welcome! This is a monthly swap, you can join in whatever months your interested in.

Most of all, have FUN!

Thanks Diene for hosting March!

Deb

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

Deb

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

Giving this a little bump~

Deb

• klickitat
    17 years ago

May I play?!? Sign me up!

• diene
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello All;
    Just so no one thinks they are being ignored or overlooked I am posting the list for March garden decorating swap as of today:

Susandonb
    Ilovefarac
    Snyder
    Sguanzon
    Astilbebstillz6a
    Debbya
    Klickitat

If you meant to sign up but did not yet, there is still plenty of time. Almost two weeks. I plan on matching people up on the 28th and I will have it posted on the first. That is not to encourage you to wait until the last minute, please sign up as soon as possible, the more people in, the more fun. Spring is coming!! Sign up to get some new magazines or books to help with your gardens this year. diene

• laurelin
    17 years ago

Good morning, diene,

Please sign me up, too. I've received from earthlydelights, and sent to susandonb. I told Laura I didn't think I'd be able to participate this month, but now it looks like April will be the tough month for me this spring. I'll have to play that month by ear.

A quick question: Do you mean good back issues of garden mags, or current issues of garden magazines, or both? I want to be a good partner and not disappoint whoever I trade with. I have recent (within the past couple years) issues of two good garden magazines, all in excellent condition, to share. One is Northeast-specific, so could I be matched with someone in the Northeast?

Thank you for hostessing, diene!

Laurel

• pajohnso
    17 years ago

Can I join this one too?? For some reason I always forget to check the Round Robin forum and just looked at it today. Thanks for hosting this one!!

P

• amyinms
    17 years ago

I would like to sign up please!

Amy in MS

• diene
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello Klickitat & Laurelin, I do not have access to your e-mail addresses. They are blocked. Can you e-mail me directly so I have them to send you the information on your pal. Also, everyone that has signed up need to send me their mailing address so I can provide that information to their pal.
    I am getting very excited about this. Laurelin, my answer to your question about new or old is either and/or both. I know I keep my magazines and have lots of old books on gardening that have some information you have a hard time finding today. I think the rule is that they cannot be too ratty looking. If anyone disagrees with this answer, please let me know. Thanks. diene

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

Diene,
    New/old magazines are fine (even a little well loved). Diene said it perfectly "They can't be too ratty looking" LOL!

Deb

• laurelin
    17 years ago

No problem - thanks! Mine are in good shape, and I'm happy to share.

Laurel

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

Hi Diene, i have never been in this swap but I'm a nut for garden Magazines. (books too but especially Mags) Just so they have pictures. LOL
    This sounds like fun and it will be neat to be swapping with someone new.
    thanks for hostessing
    BB

• mkruby7
    17 years ago

Hi, everyone ! I know I havn't been around, so I thought I pop-in and said 'hi'. Had some time as it is raining today. YEAH !!!! It looks like you had a GREAT February RR. I'm sure January was great too.

I will join this month. As I have alot of mag to share. And in need for seeds. Between the 60+ miles-a-hour winds and the -20 temps. we had last month (at the same time). I lost alot.

Debbya, I will do October.

It looks like we need some hostess for these months:
    -June- Plant swap(?)
    -July- "Christmas in July" ~Red/White/Blue~ flowered plant, seed swap(?)
    -September- "Fall" plant swap(?)
    -December- Christmas Swap or "Secret Santa"(?)

(Debbya I hope you don't mind, I posted this)

mkruby7

PS. I will try to update my trade list in the coming week.

• susandonb
    17 years ago

If it is ok, can I say that I never use garden mags, I have some real nice ones that I have been given and they are in like new condition so I will send those out but I have never used them. I just never have the kind of money it takes to make my yard look like those pictures. :)

May I request the plant markers and windchimes? I need plant markers and I love wind chimes. I am hoping to remodel my front porch this year so wind chimes would be a great addition.

Thanks for letting me make special requests.

Susan

• klickitat
    17 years ago

Diene, email sent to you with my mailing address. I had no idea my email address was blocked. That's kind of a head-scratcher.

Can't wait to see who my trade partner will be!

P.S. I am not in need of any magazines. I'm up to my neck in mags that I've yet to read. However, books, chimes, markers... all good!

• diene
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello Klick;
    No idea why but that was the message I received from GW, I will forward it to you. Anyway, you are the first to get your address to me and I have no problem with your request, you are not the first to ask. I will do my best to pair likes with likes. This should be fun. I will let you know next week. Boy does time fly. diene

• klickitat
    17 years ago

I'm really, really flexible, diene. Pair me up with whomever. I'm already shopping! :)

• diene
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello All;
    First let's see if we can't get more players involved but more importantly, I only have one address for those people that joined. I need to get your addresses to make it a true round robin. We do still have a week so we certainly could use some additional players and those of you already in, send me your addresses. Thanks. diene

• cedarnest
    17 years ago

Oh I can't resist Diene.Sign me up again for this month please.I'm with Susan and Klick in regards to having way too many garden magazines already.LOL I can't use anymore mags... but would be great if I can send to someone who wants them!!.I myself would prefer chimes or plant markers.I can never have enough of either : )
    Nancy

• cedarnest
    17 years ago

Diene,I just sent you my address and info.Please let me know if you don't receive it and I will send again directly to your yahoo address.
    Thanks,Nancy

• diene
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello All;
    I just received an e-mail from a fairly new trader with concerns about what to put in her box. She was worried that it would be found lacking and she would be "banned". This made me feel very sad that what used to be lots of fun is now causing new people concerns. My response to her is listed below and is how this robin is going to be run. If anyone has a problem with this, please do not join. This should be fun!!
    The theme for this is books/magazines, plant markers, Windchimes/bells, the overall swap theme is "Garden decorating" so you do not need to send seeds or plants. You can send any of the above or a little of all. Most of us shop at the nearest dollar store for things as it is not the cost but the thought. I always put something chocolate in my boxes as no one does not like chocolate. Books/magazines are usually recycled ones that you are finished with or would like to share. I do not believe anyone buys new. Plant markers can be handmade if you are capable (I am not) and the same for windchimes/bells. I supposed you could send seeds for a plant or flower with bells in the name but that is entirely up to you. I rarely spend more than $ 10 on my box because shipping is almost another $ 10. This does not need to go priority as there are no live plants but the Post Office is expensive even for regular service. I like the flat rate boxes as they limit your costs. This delivery confirmation has become a big thing but I personally have not found it to make the package arrive quicker or make packages easy to track. I do it now because I do my postage on line and it is free if you do your postage on line. It costs fifty cents at the Post Office.
    Remember this is supposed to be fun, not a stressful event. If you are stressing about it then you are missing the point. Welcome and have fun. diene

• lil_green_thumb
    17 years ago

COUNT ME IN!

love windchimes! just have 2 - started getting some last year when they went on clearance!

books i dont need
    I would like receiving older issues of magazines but do not need any newer ones. I dont have any old ones lol

• dawiff
    17 years ago

Hi diene,

I'd like to join this swap, it sounds like fun! I have lots of older magazines that could use a new home, as well as a couple of books that I could pass on. Ad I love little crafts for the garden.

I'm new to this swap, so I don't have any previous swap partners. But I am a member of Hortiholics Anonymous. I'll email you my address.

Alison

• jenntongrows
    17 years ago

I would love to join this swap. What do I need to do?

Jennifer

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

**Update**

May- Hostess-Susan
    June- Plant swap (?)Either outdoor/or/houseplants, you choose.
    July- "Christmas in July" ~Red/White/Blue~ flowered plant, seed swap/succulent/cactus swap(?)
    August- Hostess-Tina
    September- "Fall" plant swap(?)
    October- Bulb/tuber swap(?) Hostess-Jackie
    November- Hostess-Susan
    December- Christmas Swap or "Secret Santa"(?) Hostess-Deb

All of the above are just ideas, it's up to the individual Hostess to change/add to the month.

Deb

• diene
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello All;
    I have been trying to keep up with all those that have asked to be part of this swap and I have addresses for all the people below. If you are not on this list and want to be part, please send me your address. Do not post it on the website,please.
    I will take anyone up until Wednesday morning and will assign Partners that afternoon. Any questions, let me know. diene
    Amyinms
    Beth-b-kodiak
    Astilbestilz6a
    Cedarnest
    Klickitat
    Laurelin
    Snyder
    Debbya
    Ilovefarac
    Pajohnxo
    Susanbdon
    Mkruby
    Sgaunzon
    Lil-green-thumb
    Diene
    Dawiff
    Jenntongrows

• klickitat
    17 years ago

Diene, do you need a hostess for the September swap? I couldn't tell if there was a space open or not. If so, I'd be happy to volunteer!

• diene
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello Klick;
    It certainly looks like we need a hostess for September, are you volunteering? The theme is a suggestion only from Deb, you can change it to fit your moods or passions. Deb continued this from last year and asked for volunteers. That is how I find myself in this predicament. I am enjoying this but have not initiated a robin myself. Funny because usually I am in charge and I enjoy just being part of the group here. So back to your question, yes we need a hostess for September, are you game? diene

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

June, July are still missing Hostesses for the month. Thanks so much Klick for volunteering for September!

**Update**
    May- Hostess-Susan
    June- Plant swap (?)Either outdoor/or/houseplants, you choose.
    July- "Christmas in July" ~Red/White/Blue~ flowered plant, seed swap/succulent/cactus swap(?)
    August- Hostess-Tina
    September- "Fall" plant swap(?) Jules
    October- Bulb/tuber swap(?) Hostess-Jackie
    November- Hostess-Susan
    December- Christmas Swap or "Secret Santa"(?) Hostess-Deb

And please remember, you (as Hostess)n can change the theme/idea for the month. The above are only ideas...

Deb

• cedarnest
    17 years ago

Deb,I would love to be hostess for June.I love the theme just as it is : )
    Nancy

• klickitat
    17 years ago

Deb... YES! I would very much like to be the swap hostess for September. I'll think about what sort of specific plants we can swap that month. We still have time. :)

• hjust1
    17 years ago

I sent an email to dienne with my address, did she get it, I want to join in!

• susandonb
    17 years ago

The theme for May will be "Swapping Memories". I chose this theme because...
    My birthday is in May. When I was growing up in MA my Father planted a fence the width of our back yard with Lilacs. He did this a few years before I was born. By the time I was old enough to remember these lilac bushes they were 5-6 ft tall, full and lush. Well, they always were in full bloom just when my birthday rolled around. One May day when I was in the yard with my Dad, I was about 10, I said to him, how much I loved the lilacs and cutting them and bringing them in the house in a vase and that they always seemed to bloom around my birthday. My Dad said to me, "That's cause God made them just for you." I remember looking at him and back to the lilacs and smiling so big because I believed that wholeheartedly. I don't have any lilacs in my life at the moment but I have always hoped to get some again someday. My Dad died when I was 14 and we moved from that house 3 years later. My sister took some lilac shoots with her to the house we moved to and she still has them growing.

I hope the May swap will be one where we swap something related to a flower, plant, or anything that holds a favorite memory for you. But, you must share the memory as well as a related item with your partner.

Just a peek ahead to May, hope many of you join.

Thanks for listening to my memory. Oh yeah and, my Dad's birthday was 2 days before mine, May 19th.

Susan in NC

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

**Update**
    May- "Swapping Memories" -Hostess-Susan
    Swap something related to a flower, plant, or anything that holds a favorite memory for you. But, you must share the memory as well as a related item with your partner.
    June- Plant swap~ Either outdoor/or/houseplants, you choose.. Hostess-Nancy.
    July- "Christmas in July" ~Red/White/Blue~ flowered plant, seed swap/succulent/cactus swap OR "For Our Feathered Friends swap" all bird related items (even plants/seeds that attract birds).

August- Hostess-Tina

September- "Fall" plant swap~ Hostess- Jules

October- Bulb/tuber swap~ Hostess-Jackie
    November- Hostess-Susan

December- Christmas Swap/"Secret Santa"- Hostess-Deb

Thanks so much Nancy for volunteering for June! We only need one more hostess...for July. If your interested, please let me know. And please feel free to change the swap theme to whatever you want.

Deb

• diene
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I just sent an e-mail to hjust1. Your e-mail address is blocked so I cannot contact you directly but I need your address if you are going to join this robin. Please do not post it but send it to me directly before tomorrow and Welcome to the Garden Decorating Robin. diene

• laurelin
    17 years ago

Debbya,

I would be willing to be the hostess in July, if no one else is really interested. I'd have to think about the theme a little bit - sometimes I like to get off the beaten path, and I've got a couple ideas besides the great ones already suggested.

We could do "Calgon, Take Me Away!" and send things that remind us of a special vacation/getaway/quiet relaxing place we love - tropicaleque items and treats, a fancy glass for a tropical beverage, flip-flops, a sun hat, a really great book or relaxing music, a beach towel, tropical-scented soaps, lotions, or candles, spa-themed items, postcards from vacation spots - be creative.

Or, we could go with a "Made In USA" theme and share local/regional treats, crafts, and seeds with each other. There are always things that are special to our own localities that people in other places may have never heard of, and are well worth sharing. Those things could include seeds, books, sweet treats, pictures/literature of natural attractions and local gardens, crafts, foods, etc., and especially anything YOU make homemade (craft or food) that you'd like to share.

I wouldn't want any gift box to cost much over $15 plus postage - the cost shouldn't stop anyone from participating.

What do you think?

Laurel

• diene
    Original Author
    17 years ago

PLEASE DO NOT POST TO THIS THREAD FOR THIS SWAP ANYMORE. THERE IS A NEW THREAD. THANKS. DIENE