SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
armedscorp

Salvia Venulosa (Salvia vinosa de Risaralda)

Armedscorp
12 years ago

Hey, does anyone have a pic of a live plant or a scientific illustraion of this rare Columbian Sage in question? It's local name is Salvia vinosa de Risaralda (Wine Sage of Risaralda). I need HELP obtaining a picture of this specimen, so I can properly identify it. Thank you all.

Comments (4)

• hybridsage
    12 years ago

Sorry but No, If you have a can post a picture someone here
    may be able to ID what you have.
    Art

• robinmi_gw
    12 years ago

No pictures, but in "The Genus Salvia (Labiatae) in Colombia" by Messrs Wood and Harley, it is described as follows:

S. venulosa is a low, usually decumbent undershrub less than 1m in height, with a brownish stem, hairy on the angles. The leaves are narrowly ovate, c. 6-9 x 3 cm, acuminate at the apex, cuneate and decurrent onto the petiole at the base, glabrescent except on the veins below, the lower surface violet and reticulate. The inflorescence of short terminal and axillary racemes 5-15 cm long; verticillasters distant, 3-6-flowered. The calyx is 8-9 mm long, relatively broad, the teeth c. 1mm long, pilose with gland-tipped septate hairs and with the upper lip prominently 5-veined. The corolla is a distinctive wine-red, villous outside, epapillate but pubescent inside. The anthers are included, the style shortly exserted.

A very local species known from deeply shaded, wooded gullies in the Western Cordillera in Risaralda, 1500-2000 m. It is the only Salvia restricted to this Cordillera.

It is Section TUBIFLORAE (Epling), along with S. camarifolia, S. falcata, and S. tortuosa.

The article was published in 1989.

Hope this helps.........a bit botanical for me! But it seems pretty obvious that it is a shade-lover.

• Armedscorp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for the information, I simply adore shade loving plants :) Yeah I'm trying to contact anyone I can in obtaining a picture or an actual specimen. I've been attempting to contact Botanical Gardens around the country but have not heard back from them on this plant in question. I'm thinking of just getting in touch with a Botanical Garden in Columbia, maybe they could help?

• robinmi_gw
    12 years ago

If you contact a Botanical Garden over there.......do remember that it is ColOmbia, not ColUmbia! Good luck!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH