SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunflwr249

Can tomato seeds be saved after freezing over winter?

sunflwr249
14 years ago

I was spring cleaning in the garden today and found that some of my tomato vines had not been cleaned up last fall and a few plants still had remains of tomatoes left on the vines. As I remember the variety in question had mostly ripe fruits on them, but I missed picking/covering them and they got hit by a heavy frost. I really liked the variety and it is not one that I've commonly seen, so would like so see if I could salvage some seed. Of the stuff that is left clinging to the vine some are completely dried and shriveled up, but some look like you'd expect after being frozen. Still that sickly green/yellow and mushy but still some moisture to them. Do you think there is anyway to get any viable seeds from either of these tomato carcasses? If so how would you recommed I try to save them? I have researched the traditional and using abrasives methods, but since these are not the juicy ripe types I don't see how that would work. Maybe I could immerse them all in water and let them sit for ahile and then try to separate seeds from skin/fleshy stuff and go from there? I have searched and found a few related posts on the subject but haven't gotten the complete answer I was looking for. Your opinions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Cher

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area
More Discussions