SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anovelhomestead

Saving Seed from Heirloom Vegetables

anovelhomestead
10 years ago

Hi, there :).

I'm really interested in growing heirloom vegetables, but I'm worried about my plants cross pollinating. We had our first garden this year and I grew three different types of heirloom pole beans. I planted them in different mounds with corn stalks as their trellis, but after doing a bit of research I'm worried they may have been cross pollinated. Is this possible?

I also read pepper plants can become cross pollinated as well. The main solutions seem to be either planting the different varieties 500' apart or use some type of bagging device to prevent insects from pollinating them. This seems like a whole lot of work. I'm mainly interested in growing heirloom seeds because I love the idea of preserving a part of history and saving my own seeds to pass on to other avid gardeners. It seems a bit disheartening to realize saving true heirloom seeds may be pretty difficult.

I guess I'm just curious how other heirloom seed savers combat cross pollination. I may be over thinking this a bit, but I guess it's disheartening to think I may not be saving heirloom seeds.

Thanks for any advice!!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths
More Discussions