SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
klickitat_gw

UPDATE: Our Bloomin Friends January Fruitcake Swap Part 3

klickitat
17 years ago

{{gwi:1240736}}

Part III

The last thread looked like it was on its way to being filled up, so our new thread begins! Ill start this one with a repost of this monthÂs swap information. If you have already received your boxes, please post what the fruitcake was. For those of you still waiting to get your swap box, just remember to mention your fruitcake once everything does arrive. I know IÂll be wrapping up my fruitcake for my partner since it was a gift to begin with that will now be re-gifted. *grin*

Let the games continueÂ

Please remember that the only requirement of this monthÂs swap is to include some form of fruitcake  edible or in the shape of a gift youÂve received and donÂt have any use for. Whatever your imagination can come up with will work in this monthÂs exchange. Be creative!

Since this month is much like last month, plants may be difficult to send, so if have something your partner may want and would like to mail it out, please include an I.O.U. with your package and ship it out when the time is right. Seeds would be a terrific idea as they are compact and fresh. If you are able, send your partner at least a small sample of seeds you may have or can find. Alternatively, wow them with something else they may want!

When shipping your package, please post the delivery confirmation number here. Upon receipt, it is only right to acknowledge your boxÂs arrival. I know we all enjoy finding items to send and appreciate it when our partners post the items here.

If there are any questions, concerns or problems, please email me and IÂll do my best to straighten everything out.

veeja11 sends to mmqchdygg

mmqchdygg sends to beth b kodiak

beth b kodiak sends to lunamoon

lunamoon sends to mellen

mellen sends to klickitat

klickitat sends to micke

micke sends to cedarnest

cedarnest sends to hummingbirdaisy >>> sent

hummingbirdaisy sends to llbean

llbean sends to tastefullyjulie >>> sent

tastefullyjulie sends to debbya

debbya sends to skohler >>> sent

skohler sends to remy >>> sent

remy sends to sandlapper rose

sandlapper rose sends to theresa 24 >>> in transit

theresa 24 sends to giverny4me

giverny4me sends to veeja11 >>> in transit

Comments (122)

• raggedyann161420
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Today our family has another worry.

My niece was three months pregnant, and three weeks ago the doctors did an ultra sound, and found the baby had no heart beat. They let her carry for another week, and when she didn't miscarry they took the baby. Well,last week at her check-up, when they did some blood work they found that she was low on platelets, and gave her 2 units of blood. When they checked her, her platelet count was still low, and they sent her to the oncologist. Today, they ordered more blood tests and a bone marrow test

Please add Kelly to your prayer list.
    LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• hummingbirddaisy
    17 years ago

Annie - So sorry to her about Kelly. Will pray for her.

Laura - Your package is going out today.
    DC# 0306 2400 0000 0341 0050

Hope you enjoy!

I forgot to put a couple of things in, so you will be getting an envie in the mail as well. I had already cut the box open once because I forgot to add something, and this time I had the addy on it, so I figured I'd just ship seperately

Have wonderful week ladies
    Tina

• Related Discussions

UPDATE: ~Our Bloomin' Friends~ Nov. 'Garden Swap Box' #2

Q

Comments (127)
    Hi Everyone - Happy Thanksgiving! Deb, glad it got to you before the holiday. Thought you'd like the gold - LOL! The little knife is handy for opening all these packages, but I reckon you've lost that one! ha! We'll probably talk to our families on the phone this evening, but DH worked night shift last night, so it's pretty quiet around here today. Guess you can tell that since I seem to be the only one posting. LOL! Anyhow, just wanted to wish all a Happy Thanksgiving. Susann Here's a thought I just wanted to share. BE THANKFUL By Author Unknown Be thankful that you don't already have everything you desire. If you did, what would there be to look forward to? Be thankful when you don't know something, for it gives you the opportunity to learn. Be thankful for the difficult times. During those times you grow. Be thankful for your limitations, because they give you opportunities for improvement. Be thankful for each new challenge, because it will build your strength and character. Be thankful for your mistakes. They will teach you valuable lessons. Be thankful when you're tired and weary, because it means you've made a difference. It's easy to be thankful for the good things. A life of rich fulfillment comes to those who are also thankful for the setbacks. Gratitude can turn a negative into a positive. Find a way to be thankful for your troubles, and they can become your blessings.
    ...See More

UPDATE: Our Bloomin Friends December/Christmas Swap, Part Four

Q

Comments (93)
    Oh my goodness girl, are you crazy? I was only the hostess, not your swap partner. WHAT A BOX!!!!!!!!!!!! Boy oh boy, did you jam pack this box and spoil me rotten! I received gold candy coins; an assortment of cocoa mixes; jelly belly Christmas mix; chocolate nut fudge; some mini candy canes and a Christmas pencil. There was also a package of pet greens - wheat seed and a dearly depotted (for the serial plant killer), this is too cool, I have never seen anything like this at all. Okay, this should have been enough, but theres more. A wall calendar; a set of Christmas tile coasters in a holder (these are excellent); a snowman candle and the cutest little bear that counts off the days until Christmas (there are 370 days until Christmas -- ARE YOU READY LOL); and the neatest candy stirrers another something I have never seen before; a magnetic santa notepad; two heresy chocolate bars and a set of candy cane lip gloss (which will feed my chapstick addiction). A wonderful keychain with a beautiful biblical verse on the reverse; a little mini game called "lot to love" (and its NOT a weight thang!); a charm bracelet; an issue of birds and blooms magazine; and the most magnificient smelling mason jar candle in the honeysuckle scent. I love it, its burning now - its smell is just so excellent. Im sitting upstairs and its lit sitting on the dining room table and the scent is just permeating the house. Honeysuckle takes me back to my youth and when I opened the jar, I had some fond, fond memories! I also appreciate the mini swiss army type knife that can go on a keychain. I had something very similar to this that broke off maybe not even a month ago and Im lost without it. This is GREAT!!!!! Wow Susann, you outdid yourself. The rules were "a little token to the host". You really put that over the top. This certainly qualifies as a swap box. I must say each and every one of my bloomin friends has been so kind, generous and giving to me as hostess. I feel so blessed and thank God for each of you. I enjoy our conversations and friendships, whether it is online, through mail or by telephone; and I certainly enjoy getting to know each and everyone of you a little more each and every day. You are all very special ladies, with such loving personalities and traits that rank very high in my book, with hearts of gold and green thumbs. It has certainly been my pleasure hosting this months swap but more so for the love, support and friendship you bring to this group. Ive been spoiled rotten by all the wonderful hostess goodies that I have already enjoyed or will enjoy soon or will treasure for a long time to come. Since everyone has received their swap box from their respective partner, THIS SWAP IS OFFICIAL CLOSED. Onward to fruitier things.take it away klick!!!!!!!!!!!!!! with gratitude, maryanne
    ...See More

our bloomin friends january fruitcake swap sign up!

Q

Comments (150)
    Susie-Happy New Year to you. Hope we all have lots of great trades and fun in 2007. Earthly-The Eon markers are the metal ones that work so well for keeping the right names with your plants. They go deep into the soil and stay there, not much chance of being pushed out of the ground with the freezing and unthawing of the ground. I bought 750 last year and will need more for 2007 I'm sure. Yes do have the lasik eye surgery...it is wonderful...I take it for granted now but I love to wake up and be able to see the alarm clock, my cealing fan and all the things in the bedroom. I never had that luxury before the lasik. My Aunt had it done and she is in her late 70's and she loves it also. Contractors here have gotten greedy so they want paid by the hour and they take their sweet time doing the job. DH and myself both work so it's hard to know the hours they really work. I do know they even count their lunch time in as time worked. I have never worked for a Company that would pay you for lunch. I told DH he was in the wrong business. Remy-Nice gifts you received.I will keep you posted when the senior games begin. Oh I agree it is very sad when you see someones beloved garden unattended. Have you ever watched someones clothesline. You never have to go inside their home but you know they have a new baby because you see the little boy or girl clothes hanging out there. Then the kids clothes get bigger when they start school and so on and so on. Then when they are elderly they have just the man and womans clothes hanging out there. Then one day only the womans will be hanging there and eventually none will be hanging there. Then the cycle starts all over again if a young couple buys the home. I don't even know who lives in some of the homes I see on my way to work but if they hang out clothes I know alot about the family and the same thing with the flower or vegetable gardens. Alot of the younger generation don't have clothesline or gardens but I prefer to have both. Whew I'm sounding like Paul Harvey now...GOOD DAY Shirley
    ...See More

NEW: Our Bloomin' Friends - Jan. Seed Swap

Q

Comments (151)
    good morning everyone. hope you are staying warm. it's cold here, has been for the last few days and will be the next couple, but certainly not as cold as i hear on the news of other areas or your postings. i might just spend the day doing some baking or making soup - haven't yet decided, but i'm not doing anything until after a good long soak in the tub. how about that plane down in the hudson? amazing the actions of the pilot and the response of all involved in the rescue. thank God it turned out the way it did. remy, i'm so sorry to hear of your friend's passing. what a sacrifice, all the way around, that she made. ashame she didn't ask for help, or even reach out to the pharmacist to front them until she could pay. it is a disgrace how expensive meds are and pharmacuetical companies should be ashamed of their greed. janell, nice to see you. how are you little girls doing? dottie, i used several methods of labeling. if the seeds were in a little plastic baggie, i put the name inside the bag and pushed it down to the side of the container. i used marker in a zillion places on a container until i found my grease pen, then that's what i switched to. i'm at the point this year to just use up all the seeds i have and plant out anything that grows, whether i know the name or not. i have a horrible problem area of of about 50x12 that needs to just be planted like mad, so that's my intention with whatever takes this year. i have plenty of containers in waiting which need attention soon. my grandbabe is adorable. whenever she sees me rinsing out or picking up a container, she asks if we are going to make a garden. gotta love the early on excitement. my son even helped the other day - went through some seeds, suggested they be planted and then taped up the containers and took them out. small help, but help nonetheless. does anyone grow pussy willow? if so, i'd like to arrange a trade for sometime this year. either white or pink, doesn't matter. just let me know. thanks. melissa, how's your little one? ready to post more pix? i keep hinting around - well, actually coming right out with it - about the kids having another one. i thought for a bit it was to be as my DIL was gaining a little belly and such, but was told no, it's just my cooking and the fact that they are actually eating meals every day (something that wasn't always happening when they were on their own). well, time to get moving. i actually went through all the motions of this being sunday and it was not too long ago i realized it's only saturday. be well and stay warm! maryanne GO EAGLES!!!!!!!!!!!color>
    ...See More
  • klickitat
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi ladies, I don't have much time for personals, but here's our updated list. Hopefully tonight I'll get a free moment to post to each of you, but right now there are a few things that have to be dealt with first. *sigh*

Same goes for the 3 hostess gifts that arrived Saturday and torn open on Sunday. I'll be listing those a little later on. :)

veeja11 sends to mmqchdygg
    mmqchdygg sends to beth b kodiak >>> in transit
    beth b kodiak sends to lunamoon >>> received
    lunamoon sends to mellen
    mellen sends to Klickitat >>> in transit
    klickitat sends to micke
    micke sends to cedarnest >>> received
    cedarnest sends to hummingbirddaisy >>> received
    hummingbirddaisy sends to llbean >>> in transit
    llbean sends to tastefullyjulie >>> received
    tastefullyjulie sends to debbya >>> received
    debbya sends to skohler >>> received
    skohler sends to remy >>> received
    remy sends to sandlapper rose >>> received
    sandlapper rose sends to theresa 24 >>> received
    theresa 24 sends to giverny4me >>> received
    giverny4me sends to veeja11 >>> received

• mmqchdygg
    17 years ago

Hey lookie the box that was waiting for me when I got home! Thank you, Carol for the great box of goodies, which included a travel set of bath gel/lotion/loofah, a little valentine planter (which my DS promptly snatched), wind chimes (I've been wanting a set of WCs!!!), gloves, bath salts (we have a whirlpool tub- how'd you know?!), a trinket jar, cute candles, honey-do list, and a new planner calendar.
    Great box! Thanks so much!

• micke
    17 years ago

*WARNING GROSS HERNIA SUBJECT*
    Hogs get hernias very easily (I grew up on a hog farm) they will pile on one another for stupid reasons like one is in a mud puddle, so the others figure if they pile on the one they will get in the water too (they don't sweat, so they will try to get in water to cool down in the summer)Or they step all over one another mushing things. anyway they would get a hernia and my dad would go tuck everything back in and sew em up *gross* *yuck* we had this happen A LOT!!!!!! I will never own another pig. but anyway your furbaby may of herniated SEVERLY. What happens with a hernia is a tear happens in the stomach lining, the intestines will start to push out, continuing to make the hole bigger until they all slide out, then it will twist causing a blockage. Had she been stepped on lately? something that would of caused damage to the stomach area?
    So sorry about your baby, this is a hard thing to go through, I commend you on the autopsy, I could never bring myself to go through the one on my kitty, figured if she was poisoned I was better off not truly knowing:( (even though deep down I knew he was)

• veeja11
    17 years ago

No, we didn't step on her, but her and our other female fight a lot. I don't know that you would call it a hernia they came out her v jay, oh well she is gone, guess I will never know exactly. another real bummer is there was a late night shoot out at our favorite denny's Sunday, still is not open so the place we have been having breakfast when dh is off for 5 yrs is closed, I am going thru denny withdrawls dh was off today and tomorrow, I called, they don't know when they will reopen, no one was killed, I kinda worry about our favorite waitress, not being able to work. hope our favorite booth didn't get shot up. hugs

• mellen
    17 years ago

Oh, Annie, what a difficult time this has to be for your niece. And then add to that checking her bone marrow? Sounds like she needs lots of TLC, hugs, and prayers.

Micke, Belated Happy Birthday to you!! EXCELLENT explanation for Carol. Been there done that, eh? It can be just a weakness in the uterine wall, too, with age, etc. Again, very, very sorry it had to happen to your pup. And now your kitchen away from home? What WILL you DO??? Thank heavens noone was killed! Is there another Denny's you can go to until "yours" opens again? Just trying to look out for you, dear friend. BTW, did I ever send you 1 or 2 wolf books last year? I know I bought some in MN, but I just can't remember if I ever sent them. I keep looking around here for them once in awhile, but they don't show up. Just wondering. I'm still in the "wolf looking" habit. :))

Remy, thanks for the reminder on the mammo whammo. Have you all read the Mammogram Poem? If not, I can e-mail it to you. It's a hoot!

Klick, Cute picture of the fruitcake.

Tina 2, Have you ever put lots of bubble bath in your whirlpool tub and let the bubbles get so big they almost go over the side? Just like you see in the movies? If not, you should try it. It is way cool.

Everyone have a beautiful week. Apologies for the abrupt tone of one of my e-mails. I did not mean to hurt anyone's feelings, truly. I am sorry if I did, but that was not my intention. I was just expressing my thoughts, and the way I worded it was not how I normally "talk" to people. I hope you will forgive me. Mary Ellen/Mellen

• sassyd
    17 years ago

Oh Carol, I'm so sorry for you....Oh girl I had to have my DJ put down at 15 years old, it just about killed me, I still miss her so, my heart goes out to you girl! Sorry about your Denny's...hope your waitress & booth are in good condition! Sorry other girls, don't feel like checking the entire board:(

Sassy

• micke
    17 years ago

Annie, I meant to comment on the last post but got caught up in the moment, I am praying for your niece, I have a friend who's daughter has cervical cancer and she keeps getting pregnant and then losing the baby at around 3 months:( she has cronz (sp) disease as well, I am wondering if she don't keep getting pregnant to keep putting off the treatment she needs for the cancer, but she has a odd blood type (o neg maybe?) and he has another type, she says there is a shot to keep her from losing the baby, but so far she don't make it long enough or else she keeps putting off the shot and loses the baby anyway, a very messed up situation. sometimes I would just like to ring that girls neck!

• klickitat
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Good (early) morning all! Rise and shine! I have a ton of homework to complete, a racquetball game at 10, more homework, then a looooong appt with the doctor at 2, then (surprise) more homework. It's going to be a busy, busy day.

Lots of prayers going out to all our girls and their families with all that is happening. Sometimes I just get so sad reading this thread. We have so much to be grateful for in our lives when we are healthy and able to get through a day without needing medical intervention.

This goes out to all the furbabies as well! I don't even want to begin to think about my little pup who is now 5 and has already lived 1/3rd of her life as ever getting old and dying.

""""""HUGS>>>>>>>

But on to some happier thoughts.

MANY, MANY THANKS TO THE FOLLOWING LADIES AND THEIR HOSTESS GIFTS!!!

giverny4me... sent a fabulous C.A.R.E. package including Skittles (for the husband!), Orbit gum, Halls Defense with Vitamin C drops, Ricola drop honey lemon with Echinacea. If that wasn't enough...

- Morning Glory, Mt. Fuji Light Blue
    - Vinca white
    - Formosa Lily
    - White Balloon Flower
    - Ipomea, Clark's Heavenly Blue
    - Nigella, Chocolate Sundae (good enough to eat!)
    - Ipomea white

remy... gorgeous bird stickers, garden 'thank you' note cards, two mega bags of loose tea: 1) Jack Frost caffeine-free tea made with African Red Bush, Vanilla, Peppermint, and Spearmint; 2) Starry Night tea flavored with chocolate truffle, hazelnut, and toffee!

And a fruitcake gift which is a TRUE fruitcake as it has made a few rounds on GW... a penguin-shaped note pad. If you don't mind, I may continue giving this gift just to see how far it can go! Perhaps I'll open it, sign it, and try to get all the girls to sign it as well. Wouldn't that be fun?

tastefullyjulie... loved you in Sound of Music! *grin* A box of Hershey's Kisses in a package that I hate to throw away. It's a replica ad from the last century on the cover... I may very well use it in some wall art. I'm all about the early 20th century... seems I was born a good 50 years too late. There's also a tin wall pocket to hang flowers in and an issue of Southern Living (thank goodness because I didn't renew my subscription and have been going through withdrawal!).

And seeds:
    - Nicotiana sylvestris
    - Datura inoxia
    - Callistephus chinensis 'Sea Star mix'

My goodness, this is a generous group! Aside from all the gifts, my garden is going to be proliferous with all these wonderful seeds everyone has sent!!! Photos will most definitely be posted in the Spring.

And I'm off to get my work done. Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

• mmqchdygg
    17 years ago

OMG- I completely forgot about the MOST EXCELLENT Gift Certificates from Carol for daylilies from her garden!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you, Carol!

• remy_gw
    17 years ago

Klickitat,
    LOL! Sure you could make it a continuing "fruitcake" gift, but one stipulation. You can't tell anyone where it originated! If that penguin "flies" back home, I'll die laughing.

Mellen,
    Please send me the poem. I've never read it.
    Don't worry about sounding cranky. We all sound that way sometimes. Gary tells me I sound that way all the time : )

Carol,
    Wow! That's crazy about the Denny's.

Annie,
    That is just terrible about your niece. It is bad enough to lose a baby, but to then possibly be sick too!

Michelle,
    That is bizarre! Well, I think we all have some freak relatives.

On a good relative note, I have great news. My cousin's daughter just had a baby girl and there is one more Remy in the world : )

Ok, got to go look at the new photo thread,
    Remy

• cedarnest
    17 years ago

Just a quick Hi To everyone.Hubby got home at a nice time tonight so I rented that movie.The Guardian.Hopeits good.Oh well even if it stinks..I know the popcorn will be good.Gotta go check a few more threads and then its showtime!
    Have a Great Night All! : )
    Nancy

• earthlydelights
    17 years ago

carol, i'm so very sorry about the dog, i know that pain all too well. we had a similar instance, but never a definitive answer. carol, that's just so nuts about the shooting. it's an everyday occurrence in philadelphia, usually gang related.

anyone else watch mush, i mean bush on the spanish channel. makes it much easier to tolerate him especially since i don't speak spanish.

so friggin sad, a newborn was found in the trunk of a car today, a little boy. major police investigation going on now. reinforces my distate in people (not you guys, though :-)

maryellen, it seems many things have been said in many ways the last week or so. i think we all need to open the lid of the garbage can, throw away the trash, and get back to what we were before the nonsense. i for one don't remember what you said or what you didn't say, but i too have been accused of being alot stronger than just "cranky", but then again i am a Babe In Total Control of Herself i love ya no matter what you say or do, nothing will change that.

annie, prayers and good thoughts being sent kelly's way. what an ordeal to have to deal with for everyone. my sister had a terrible ordeal, i think she lost 4 or 5, it was so heartbreaking. she eventually was able to carry to full term, but it took forever. i'll continue to keep kelly in my prayers.

hey remy, i prefer the rootbeer slurpie. one of the stores in my friend's neighborhood has one, tastes like a rootbeer float. excellent.

mammograms suck - a man invented that machine. it should be a suction cup, not a 1000 pound weight that flattens your boobs. hey nancy, if you think that was bad, have you had a colonoscopy yet? good luck.

klick, looks like you have received some very nice packages.

everyone have a nice night, stay warm
    maryanne

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

Nancy, hope you enjoyed The Guardian. Most of it was filmed on Kodiak so of course I LOVED it. Those Coast Guard guys and gals are a fantastic group of folks and have performed some incredible rescues.
    Made me really homesick. Guess I'll buy the DVD
    Earthly I have no TV. It's intentional. The news just makes me sad and crazy. Maybe it would be better in Spanis though. It's a thought.
    Working ER I see more than enough bad news first hand.
    Oh mercy! Lets go dig in the garden.

• tastefullyjulie
    17 years ago

I know I'm not in this group anymore but I still read from time to time cuz y'all are so funny.

Earthly, I couldn't even stand to watch him on the Spanish channel because I would still be able to see his smirking face. At least in English I can make fun of his grammar!

• remy_gw
    17 years ago

Hi Nancy,
    Hope you enjoyed the movie. I would of never guessed it was about the coast guard by the title until Beth mentioned it.

Maryanne,
    I didn't watch Bush. I get too worked up and start yelling at the tv, lol!
    "hey nancy, if you think that was bad, have you had a colonoscopy yet? good luck." I've not had one, and don't want to!! I eat too many tomatoes to get colon cancer anyway, lol.
    I have not had a Slurpee since I was a teen! I have to go in and look at all the flavors, lol. I finally got the stuff to fill out for 7-eleven today. I've got to give all kinds of financial info! I'm going to go to my father-in-law's Friday to have him help me fill it out. Gary is all nervous. One good thing in my favor, it mentions a credit check right off the bat. I have really good credit, so hopefully they will find us worth coming from Michigan to talk to.

Hi Julie,
    Hope you're staying warm up there.

Have a good night everyone,
    Remy

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    17 years ago

Jules, I have your hostess gift ready to go. Sure hope I can make it to post office tomorrow. I should be able to but I am going out of town tomorrow afternoon so things will be tight. Just wanted to let you know I haven't forgotten.
    Theresa

• hummingbirddaisy
    17 years ago

I will be sending your hostess gift out this week as well.

Tina

• veeja11
    17 years ago

Leave it to Maryanne to watch bushy in spanish, ya know I just don't like looking at him and without words that is the only option, actually at another dennys they told us a guy came in and was told by the hostess it would be 5 min wait for a booth, he started yelling at her, so she went to get the manager when she came back he was trying to kick people out of a booth so he could have it, then shot them, boy there are some nuts running loose. not much worse than leaving a baby in a trash can we had 6 puppies left in one here, one died but people are lining up for the rest. fill up that garbage can and lets get on to our fun. hugs carol

• mellen
    17 years ago

Maryanne, Great idea about the garbage can. I think it is now full to the brim. The lid is slammed shut and locked now, I hope.

Have YOU had a colonscope? I've had one of them, too. Went slick as could be. Nothin' to it. Was even "awake" enough to watch it. Just like a little mouse goin' through a tunnel. LOL

Remy, I will be sending you the mammo poem shortly. BEST of luck with your new venture! I can picture you doing that.

Beth, No TV, huh? I don't watch much, but I don't think I could not have one in the house. When Jim is gone, I never turn it on. But it is still nice to know it is there. Go figure.

Anybody done any wintersowing now that the weather has settled into being cold? If so, what have you done? Maybe I will try a little bit this week-end.

Tastefully, So nice to have you post. Please do so anytime. Wouldn't you rather just be on hiatus instead of dropped out? Think about it, okay?

Susie, are you flying or driving to FL? Would love to crawl into your suitcase and hitch along. A vacation to warmer weather right now sounds wonderful!!!

Past my bedtime. Good night, all. Mary Ellen

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

Winter sowing.... there are 91 containers out there now. I want to do another 100 to `150 but the last two times i went to raid the recycling bins they had just been emptied.
    The grandkids and I just can't drink enough pop to supply all I need. LOL
    have now figured a way to store them for next year so this year should be the toughest one.

Even the things that had germinated a week or so ago still look good after being iced. We have not been below 20 yet so we will see how things go.
    Mellen, a lot of those seeds are from you.

• mmqchdygg
    17 years ago

Winter Sower here...I'm at about 70+ containers. Like Beth, hoping for about another 150 or so. Last year I had 400, many of which were 'single-serve' 12oz dixies with annuals, so will probably go that route again with the annuals. But I have SOOOOOOOOOO many seeds I want to try, so it may end up way more than that. Guess I'll be digging some more come spring to make new beds!

• cedarnest
    17 years ago

Beth looks like your wintersowing is going well.Hope you find the rest of the jugs you need.Thats alot of jugs! I am trying wintersowing this year too for a few annuals.I only have 10 milk jugs for my meager adventure.If I have any luck maybe next year I will expand my efforts! It gets sooo cold here.Right now I have my jugs on the east side of the garage and I have leaves piled around them for insulation.I just put them out last week so we shall see how they do.

T-2 Good luck with your wintersowing too.Sounds like you are moving right along.

Carol you are so right about all the crazies.Glad you weren't at Dennys when that happened.

Susie,Have fun on your trip down south.It sounds wonderful!

Remy,The Guardian Movie we watched the other night was Incredible.I always respected the Coast Guard but do so even more after watching that movie.Amazing movie.Everyone Needs to see it.I thought of you Beth when I heard Kodiak : )

Maryanne,I have had a colonoscopy.It was way back before the sedation they give now.I will never have another one.The first one was bad to where no matter what they would bribe me with now I would have to say,no thank you. The only way I would ever have another one is if they knocked me completely out.

LOL Mellen, mouse going thru a tunnel. Mine felt more like a bear trying to go thru a straw : (

Hope I didn't miss anyone..I better go check a few more forums and get some work done.

Have a Great Day Ladies!!
    Nancy

• lunamoon
    17 years ago

No mammograms or colonoscopys here yet. But that's just because I'm under 40...... I'm not looking forward to the day I need either but I recognize their importance.

I'm not doing any winter sowing this year. I've done it the last few years and haven't had a lot of luck with it. I typically have less than 30% germination rate so it's doesn't really feel like it's worth the effort. The stuff that did germinate did well though. Maybe I'll try again next year.

Mary Ellen~ I'm still waiting on the item I ordered to arrive in the mail. It's not a big deal but I thought it would be a fun addition to your box so I've held off on sending it. Hopefully, it will arrive tomorrow so I can get your box in the mail by the weekend.

Jules~ Your hostess gift was mailed out yesterday.

Kim~ Thank you for the birthday card! I forgot to mention that earlier..... it arrived almost a week ago!

I hope everyone is having a great day!

Jenell

• mmqchdygg
    17 years ago

Mammos suk...well, not really bad...the worst part is when they run that thing down the length of your upper chest to make sure they get everything in there...the 'squishing' isn't as bad...(IMO). They still suk.
    Getting probed suks, too. Had that a couple years ago because they couldn't figure out why I had IBS...so went to take a peek.
    I suppose, though...that it would make perfect sense why God gave you several 'access holes' all over our bodies so we humans could figure out what's wrong with us. (And who was that first nit-wit that decided: "HEY! Let's go look up HERE!!!"

Get away from me.

• mmqchdygg
    17 years ago

So my sister the Medical Transcriptionist just had to type this...
    "defecography"
    Go google it...and then come back and we'll all go "EWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!" together.

• lunamoon
    17 years ago

Wow, I can honestly say I hadn't heard of that before.....

• mellen
    17 years ago

Definite EWWWWWW!!! Would NOT want to have THAT done.

Wow to the wintersowers above. Very impressive. You've given me the bug to get started. Hopefully this week-end after we clean out the garage. I have soooo much of my gardening stuff in there that we can't get our vehicles in. Now that is pathetic!

I do have geraniums blooming--in my classroom. I dug up 7 of them and potted them up. Instead of putting them in the basement, I brought them to school. Seem to have the perfect conditions here. The leaves are just a lucious green and full. Right now a bright red one is blooming, and it is beautiful. Have also had a bright pink bloom. The kids love it, and they make the room more home-like, too. The lady who helps me brought in her mandevilla so we are keeping that going, too.

I do need to get to work. Have a wonderful day, everyone. Mary Ellen

• klickitat
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ok gals... quick stop in to update our list. Please let me know if it's correct since it appears that only one package hasn't gone out and a few are still in the air. If I've posted the wrong thing, please let me know and I'll update the list. :)

At long last I was able to put my box in the mail to micke. She must think I fell off the face of the earth! As soon as I find that DC# I'll post it.

I've been going through a lot of personal issues and will do my best to drop in and post to everyone here. A person can only handle so much and when it rains it pours... I won't go into everything, but suffice it to say that I'm long due for a nice long rest.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Mellen's box showed up the other day!!! It took me so long to dig through it all and now I get to share it with all of you.

- Amaryllis grow kit with the larget peat disck I've ever seen in my life!
    - Box of gorgeous floral note cards
    - Ceramic snowman holding a birdhouse
    - Bag full of some of the best smelling candles EVER!
    - Ferrer Roche chocolates (they're practically gone today)
    - Winter Welcome sign painted on slate with a church scdne in the snow... the perfect winter scene *sigh*
    - AND A FRUITCAKE FROM COLLINS STREET BAKERY!

Between this fruitcake and the one Susie sent me, I don't know which one I enjoyed more. Simply terrific no matter how you look at it.

THANK YOU, MARY ELLEN!!!
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

veeja11 sends to mmqchdygg >>> received
    mmqchdygg sends to beth b kodiak >>> in transit
    beth b kodiak sends to lunamoon >>> received
    lunamoon sends to mellen
    mellen sends to Klickitat >>> received
    klickitat sends to micke >>> in transit
    micke sends to cedarnest >>> received
    cedarnest sends to hummingbirddaisy >>> received
    hummingbirddaisy sends to llbean >>> in transit
    llbean sends to tastefullyjulie >>> received
    tastefullyjulie sends to debbya >>> received
    debbya sends to skohler >>> received
    skohler sends to remy >>> received
    remy sends to sandlapper rose >>> received
    sandlapper rose sends to theresa 24 >>> received
    theresa 24 sends to giverny4me >>> received
    giverny4me sends to veeja11 >>> received

• hummingbirddaisy
    17 years ago

The DC# shows that lauras box landed two days ago.
    #0306 2400 0000 0341 0050

Hope everything made it OK.

Tina

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

Whooo my package from M&M Tina has arrived and very welcome is too. It has warmed up a very cold day!
    I got a bakers dozen of seed packs. Some were totally new to me. Like,"poor man's Weather Glass",angallais monelli A very pretty blue.
    Prunella Pagoda, related to lamiums and I really like those and some new types of several of my old favorites. A purple and yellow Zinnia mix and another multi color Zinnia called swirls, both,very pretty. Several more sunflowers for my "collection" and some other perennials for my cottage garden.
    A stick-em pad showing a yummy looking tomato and sprout sandwich. A nice thick pair of socks. Very good for me because I go around in the house all the time in my socks. they will get used a lot.
    There is a pack of hand made greeting cards in the nicest colors, mostly beige burgundy and gold. Tina, did you male those yourself. What a lot of time it would take to do that.
    A box of giant bing cherries coated with chocolate. I'm working on those now and they are SO GOOD!
    The other thing is a set of 4 small square black and white dipping bowls. I had gone about two weeks ago looking for a small set of oriental bowls and could not find any here. These are just the right size and the colors will work well for me. They are great! Thank you so much Tina.
    I'll be thinking about you while I plant my seeds, eat rice and later when I'm cutting flowers. Very nice choices.
    hugs,BB

• mellen
    17 years ago

Klick, I am relieved that you liked the gifts. It was so much fun putting them together for you. As I said, I do not normally care for fruitcake, but the one I sent to you I do like.

Luna/Jenell and Klick, I am not worried about her getting a box to me. I know she will send it as she is waiting on something in the mail. She had my name in a yearlong swap and was very faithful.

Beth, very nice gifts from Tina 2. I don't wear shoes in the house, either. Soon as I walk in the door my shoes are off until I go out again. Wish I could do that at school, too. I love the nice, thick fuzzy socks they make nowadays. They are so warm and feel so soft on your feet.

Later, Mary Ellen

• remy_gw
    17 years ago

T2,
    EWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!! I definitely had not heard of that! I should of known better then to go look, lol! I think I would rather have my disease than do that!

Mellen,
    Thanks! And you reminded me when I was in 3nd grade, I grew an onion on a window sill at school, just me, no one else. I was strange and loved plants even then, lol.
    Oh and "Just like a little mouse goin' through a tunnel" lol!!
    And you reminded me...
    Susie,
    The fruitcake you sent does taste good!

Beth,
    Nice jugs!! I still have to put mine out.

Nancy,
    I'm going to have to rent the movie. Sounds like something Gary will like too.

Klickitat,
    When it rains it sure can pour! But everything always works its way out, so try not to stress too much : )
    Remy

• earthlydelights
    17 years ago

hmmm, a mouse through a tunnel. reminds me of a story, actually i think a rumor, about a newscaster here years ago. but it was a gerbil, not a mouse. he dropped out of sight for a long time then made his way to the west coast where he's now on an entertainment type show as a correspondent, if that's what you call them.

other tina, one of my very dear friends works for a proctologist, she's always bringing home work stories.

i'm always in socks too. even at work i will kick off my shoes.

beth, they sound like some interesting seeds you received. by the way, how are those coleus doing? i lost one begonia, but the rest look pretty good.

i have an amarylis in bloom. the very first time i've actually grown one. sue g sent it to me from another swap. does anyone that grow them know if the bulb can be stored away after it blooms, or do they just continue to bloom on and on and on? i'll have to take a pic and post it in the photo thread.

i made bread tonight and it is delicious. the house smells incredible. took a loaf to my mother, devouring one myself and one loaf i split for that overnight french toast and then also bread pudding. i'm having company for the next few days, so we should be eating up a storm.

be well everyone, stay warm. it's a real frigid friday here, but no snow

maryanne

klick:

Don't Quit Poem
    by anonymous

When things go wrong, as they sometimes will,
    When the road you're trudging seems all up hill,
    When the funds are low and the debts are high,
    And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
    When care is pressing you down a bit,
    Rest! if you must; but don't you quit.

Life is queer with its twists and turns,
    As everyone of us sometimes learns,
    And many a failure turns about
    When he might have won had he stuck it out;
    Don't give up, though the pace seems slow;
    You might succeed with another blow.

Often the goal is nearer than
    It seems to a faint and faltering man,
    Often the struggler has given up
    When he might have captured the victor's cup.
    And he learned too late, when the night slipped down,
    How close he was to the golden crown.

Success is failure turned inside out;
    The silver tint of the clouds of doubt;
    And you never can tell how close you are,
    It may be near when it seems afar;
    So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit;
    It's when things seem worst that you mustn't quit.

• lunamoon
    17 years ago

Mary Ellen~ Your box went out today. Hope you enjoy it!
    Confirmation #: 0306 1070 0002 3803 0982

• llbean
    17 years ago

HI Ladies.. Wow, a bunch of posting here.

First~ Tina Yes the box came and it is safe.. I just got home today, DH did not tell me that I had a box. When he goes on midnights I stay at my parents so they can help with Max while I work..
    Tina sent me an awesome care package..
    She sent me some yummy bubble bath and cream and a new squishey thing for me to relax in the tub.. Which I will do tonight. I am going to try the bubbles in the hot tub thing :) I also got some yummy dove chocolate. (my fav).. A yummy vanilla candle to light in the tub and to find my way out of thr bubbles, as well as some yummy tea. I love tea. a woman local here makes honey with Jasmine in it and I love to put it in the tea..
    Thanks Tina~ Sorry it took me so long to post. I guess the package came two days ago.. I feel bad. But I will feel great once my tired bones get in the tub..
    Remy~ I will take pics of Max with the water can and the tomatoes (little fellas) to send you. Congrats on the new Remy.

Carol sorry about the puppy.. I know how that feels.. I would feel awful if we lost Misu our black Shih tzu
    Hey WS women WOW hear you ROAR.. that is awesome.. I thought I was good with my 8. I need some more containers.
    You WS your annuals? Then what, you put the whole hunk in the container you want them in or you pick them out.?
    I'd like to try if you tell me what to do.

Earthly, COME TO THE OTHER SIDE, WE ARE WAITING FOR YOU IN THE VD SWAP.. ha ha now that there is funny I don't care who you are.. NOT VD, valentines day.. ha ha ..
    I think I am too tired.
    I'd better post in the other forum and get my bootie to bed..
    Hugs everyone

• hummingbirddaisy
    17 years ago

I'm glad the box arrived OK. I was worried that you just flat out didn't like the "stuff", HA!

You are too funny about the "other side", and "VD" ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, hahaha! You are most definitely Maryanne's sis ;-) Ouch! Man my side hurts from laughing!
    You and Maryanne better STOP that or you are going to have to come and nurse me back to health!

I need to go, or I am going to get into trouble!

Hugs,
    Tina

• hummingbirddaisy
    17 years ago

Laura - I don't mean to be a pest, honestly. And, maybe it's just because you're tired.....or maybe the postal clerk decided there was some stuff in that box for her/him, but was there another book in that box about decorating (I got myself one too. Couldn't pass up a deal on how to decorate cheaply, LOl) some floral kitchen towels, oven mit.... Stuff like that in there?
    I did forget to put your seeds and tulip bulbs in, and they are coming seperately in a bubble envie. Did I forget to put that stuff in too? If so, please kick my hiney!
    I'm just wondering if someone at the PO got snoopy or something......

Sorry for all the confusion and pestering.
    Hugs,
    Tina

• llbean
    17 years ago

Ohhh. I am tired.. Yes there was a great oven mit set (which I needed) there was also some awesome paper pots and flowers stationary set..
    And the cheapskates guide to decorating... Yeah I need this one.. Mark always puts me on a budget..
    So sorry I failed to mention these..
    Again thanks so much...
    Off to the kitchen to clean...
    Hugs
    Laura

• giverny4me
    17 years ago

Hi Kids hope everyone is staying warm...

And Wintersowing! Re: Jugs,Hey Beth and Remy check out the "jugs" t-shirt on www.wintersown.org if I had enough nerve I would wear it but my block is just all older retirees (guys)and I are out working in the summer, (I am the only female out there) would take it the wrong (right?:P ) way! There is also a t-shirt that says 'Friends don't let Friends buy plants'. love it. I have 60+ containers now, about half smaller containers like yogurt cups and aluminum loaf pans. I am averaging about 20 per week as I have time.

Laura the best thing to do re: wintersowing is to go to the forum here on GW and wintersown.org they can answer just about any question. If you need cheap containers, what I did this year was go to Dollar Store and get aluminum pans, they have different sizes some even come with plastic lids. I do annuals and perennials, get most excited about the perennial successes since seems the "box" stores around me sell all sorts of things that are NOT appropriate for this gulf coast climate...

Went to see Verdi's La Traviata last night with DH, have'nt been to the opera in about 4 years, was just beautiful. The lead soprano was a girl about 22 or so with long flowing dark hair, wow what a voice...gorgeous.

Today I have 2 hours of ironing to do to launch DH into next week's road trip, then I am going to wintersow till its too dark outside. Got my soil purchased and my pots lined up. And my seeds from my GW friends. :)

Earthly, I enjoyed the poem, I am copying it for my son who is going through some hard times with studies and friends. He is so close to his goals but seems like the kids who are staying here want him to stay here as well, guess he is at the point where he will make his choices and live with them. And on THAT dramatic point, lol, Happy Weekend Everyone!/Susan/Giverny

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

Hey Remy, I have not heard that comment in a LONG time. So long that it is definately worth a laugh.
    Susan, I'll have to go check out the shirts. I met Trudy at a tomato tasting last summer and she is one great lady.
    Earthly, the poem is a good one and something we all need to remember once in a while.
    Did I sign up for VD? Gosh Laura I need to stop volunteering for stuff before I get all the details! gets me in trouble all the time
    BB

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    17 years ago

Jules, your hostess gift went out Thursday. Sorry I haven't posted. Just got back in town.
    Theresa

• sassyd
    17 years ago

Hi girls, hope you're all having a nice weekend. Good luck to all of you on your winter sowing. Can't wait to see your beautiful blooms:)

I'm really tired tonight, had Julie's baby shower this evening. I'm so proud of all the wonderful things she received. And naturally Grandma went over-board, but aren't we supposed to? lol

Goodnite girls

Sassy

• mmqchdygg
    17 years ago

Maryanne-
    Yes, your amaryllis can be stored...
    Wait til the flower goes by, then cut just the flower bloom off the stalk.
    Then wait for the stalk to wither; it'll be about a week or so...cut it off about an inch from the bulb.
    Then the fun part: Babysit the non-blooming plant from now until end of summer until the foliage turns yellow & dies back. Water it like a regular plant. I stuck mine in a corner of my desk windowsill- it's ok, but not hugely attractive...then cut the foliage off. Then you can take the bulb out of the pot, clean it off, and stick it in cold storage for 8-10 weeks.
    Then pot it back up and start again.

• remy_gw
    17 years ago

Susan,
    Lol, I went to look at the tees. I guess that would be a bit much for the old men! I did like the "friends don't let friends..." shirt too. A friend at work was going to buy seeds. I was like are you crazy? tell me what you want. I have most everything she was interested in!
    I haven't been to an opera in about 20 years.
    Which reminds me...

Maryanne,
    A Prairie Home Companion was in Philadelphia Sat. Garrison talked about a bunch of Philly things, but I though of you at the mention of the Mummers parade and gravy instead of sauce.

Beth,
    Glad you got a kick out of that! That's neat that you met Trudi. Was it a big tomato tasting? I'm hoping to go to the CHOPTAG one this year. I got invited and I felt bad that I couldn't go last year because of the operations.

Klickitat,
    Hope you're ok!! Please stop by and say hi.
    Remy

• mellen
    17 years ago

Klick, you can now put me as RECEIVED. Luna's/Jenell's box of wonderful gifts came today. And here is what she sent:

-B&B Works lavender aromatherapy bath/shower gel that came in the shape of a champagne bottle
    -bath beads, bath salts, and bath fizzes
    -a bag full of Ghirardelli squares-milk chocolate with caramel filling-you used to send those to me two years ago--I still love them!
    -a cute flowered can cuzee with black feathers around the bottom-woowoo
    -white chocolate raspberry scented lip balm-it is awesome!
    -Life Savers fruit tarts-never had these before-really pucker your lips-sooo good!
    -a very cute flowered pen and sticky note paper set
    -stickers which I will take to school-the kids will love them
    -500 piece puzzle of a beautiful building surrounded by gorgeous flowers-I will also be taking this to school. When the kids have a bit of time toward the end of the period, I have a puzzle out for them to work on. This will be perfect! They love to do them.
    -a beautiful wrought iron scrolled wall hanging of two flowers with leaves and a butterfly. Jenell, I absolutely love this!!! Thank you so much! I can hang something from the end of it, too, I see.
    -some cool garden gloves-the kind that are porous material on the top so your hands can "breathe," and the palms are rubberized but not so thick that you can't pick up small objects. Great!
    -3 painted terra cotta planters on a terra cotta tray. Very Pretty.
    -a new journal with a gorgeous daylily on the front. Jenell, what a beautiful book you chose. I will be using this for my 2007 plant journal. Thank you for this, too.
    -lock de-icer
    -AND something I can't wait too take to school and display. A sticker that says WARNING-BEWARE OF THE TEACHER It's done in the usual warning signs that you see of black, red and white. Jenell, when I saw this I just burst out laughing. I LOVE it!!! DEFINITELY worth waiting for!
    -and last but not least, I now possess The Perfect Man. He's "sweet" and decadently "rich!" Just how a man ought to be!. It's 3.5 oz. of solid milk chocolate in the shape of a muscle man with white shorts with red hearts on them. This guy has a real 6-pak, short stumpy muscled legs, no neck, muscled arms, and a belly button. This is a HOOT! Maryanne, are you jealous???

Jenell, you really made my day with all of the fun, wonderful, and thoughtful things that you sent. If you were here, I would just hug you to pieces. Thank you so much for everything and for being such a wonderful bloomin' friend. Mary Ellen

• micke
    17 years ago

I recieved my box from Klickitat yesterday:) Just now getting time to post it, when it rains it pours applies to me right now as well.
    but anyway a happier subject, the contents of my box! This is what Klick sent:)
    the Fruitcake, a book called 'Foolish Words' the most stupid words ever spoken (how funny!)
    a 3-D cutout of a carousel (a project for my sons on a crappy winter day, always looking for things for them to do)
    a book called 'Creative Ideas for Yards and Gardens' I just glanced through it, but it looks like it has some really neat ideas in it.
    a coaster set, much needed for by my computer:)
    valentines socks (love those decorative socks)
    2pk wristlets, something I can put my make-up in, I can throw away that ratty basket that I use for my make-up now.
    a really nice bookmark that says 'Laughter is the Shortest Distance Between Two People'
    Italian style bean soup mix in a wonderful glass jar, never had it, something new to try:)
    Forget me Not and Lavender grow kits, my little guy loves those things, he tried to make off with them, he likes to grow things as much as I do.
    a gift certificate to Barnes and Noble (so cool!)
    and the seeds!
    Hakone Double Blue Balloon Flower
    The Bride Gaura
    Scarlett O'Hara Hollyhock
    Shiva Morning Glory
    Rosita Morning Glory
    Nora Barlow Columbine
    Clementine Red Columbine
    Radar Love Clematis
    (I love your seed packets by the way)
    thank you so much for everything you sent, this came at a much needed break from the day, I really needed something to cheer me up and it certainly did the trick:-)
    michelle

• skohler
    17 years ago

Look's & sounds as everyone has sent & received their
    fruitcake boxes & enjoyed another wounderfull swap
    of the group .

klick can close this one up as soon as she has received
    all her hostes gifts .
    SO please if you have not sent
    your thank you please do so THIS WEEk. if possible :)
    or let klick,carol or I know if you cannot .

very nice boxes ladies looking forward to the valentine
    boxes :)) .

susie

• klickitat
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes! Susie is right! It appears that everyone got their packages in time for the close of this swap. Looks like lots of very nice items were received. Thank you everyone for participating and for all the lovely hostess gifts. If anymore arrive I'll post the contents in the February exchange thread. I had such a great time with this and can't wait to do it again!!!