SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cybermeowz

2010 Color of the Month Swaps - organizing thread

cybermeowz
14 years ago

Hi Swappers!

This is an organizing thread for the 2010 edition of the Color of the Month swaps.

The color of the month swaps began last year when carroteggs posted the Purple Seed Swap thread in March. Other color swaps expanded from there.

Last year we held these swaps:

Purple Seed Swap

Blue Seed Swap

Black Seed Swap

Yellow Seed Swap

Red Seed Swap

"Rainbow Seed Swap"

Orange Seed Swap

A few swaps that were scheduled were missed. The missed swaps were the white, pink and chocolate swaps.

I think these swaps were quite fun so it's time to organize a new round of Color of the Month Swaps for 2010.

PLEASE READ! Here are some guideline for hosting the Color of the Month Swaps:

*** Each Swap should be posted by the host/hostess during the first week of the designated month. The absolute latest a swap should be posted by is the 10th of the month so as to not get in the way of the next month's swap.

*** If you find that you can't host the swap that you were scheduled for, you need to find another volunteer to host that swap. We will try to provide a list of alternate volunteer hosts who might be willing to host your swap if you can't. You will receive an email reminder about a week before you are to post your swap. If the swap hasn't been posted by the 10th of the Month, then we will have to assume that you won't be hosting that swap and another host will be found. Three scheduled swaps didn't happen last year, so this is all just to make sure that the swaps happen.

*** Each Color of the Month Swap can include flowers, ornamentals, veggies, herbs and other edibles as long as they are the designated color or if the color is in the name of the variety.

If anyone has any comments, suggestions, opinions, or additions to make to the Guidelines, Lets hear them....

Okay, so let's organize a Color of the Month Swap schedule for 2010!!!!

Brandy is hosting the Green Seed Swap as I write this. Here is a link to join the Green Seed Swap : Green Seed Swap

Bonnie has requested to host the Red Seed Swap in July.

A few people have specifically requested Chocolate for the month of February (Valentine's Day!!!) This could include any flowers/edibles with Chocolate in the name and also anything with a darker maroon/brown color. We just need someone to volunteer to host this one.

There are 2 other color swaps that we missed last year (White and Pink) so I have tentatively scheduled those for the beginning of the year (as long as someone wants to host them).

So here is a tentative schedule for 2010:

January -- GREEN - Hosted by Brandy (brandymulvaine) Join swap here : Green Seed Swap

February -- CHOCOLATE - Needs a host/hostess

March -- PINK - Needs a host/hostess

April -- WHITE - Needs a host/hostess

May -- YELLOW (yellow)- Needs a host/hostess

June -- BLUE - Needs a host/hostess

July -- RED - Will be hosted by Bonnie (highalttransplant)

August -- PURPLE - Needs a host/hostess

September -- BLACK - Needs a host/hostess

October -- ORANGE - Needs a host/hostess

November -- BIG RAINBOW year end swap - Will be hosted by Penny (cybermeowz)

December -- open

This is just a tentative schedule. If we need to switch some things around to accommodate a host, then we can try to do that. If you can think of a different color you would like to host that would be good too.

So, if you would like to host one of the Color of the Month Swaps that doesn't have a host listed next to it, please let me know which color you would like to host in the comments.

Also, let me know if you would be willing to be a substitute host. This is in case anyone can't host the swap that they are scheduled for. If you are willing to be a substitute host, your name and email will be put on a list of people to contact if a host is unable to do their scheduled swap. I will send out an email after we have a final schedule, so that everyone has the list of substitute hosts.

Thanks everyone,

Penny

Comments (30)

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

nice job Penny! I'll take August with the purple... I can substitute host too if needed.

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

Thank you Penny for keeping the Color of the Month swaps going! I think everyone enjoyed them last year. I know I did.

It's great being able to join the swaps for your favorite colors, and skip the ones that you don't care for. So whoever ends up hosting the pink, purple, and blue swaps, please don't be offended when I don't sign up : )

Thanks for putting me down for the Red swap, and as a substitute host too.

Bonnie

• Related Discussions

new: new: color of the month swap april: white

Q

Comments (35)
    Alana ~ If I received only those seeds for the Ipomoea I would be thrilled! lol I love love love to see what surprises come from OP seeds like that. I would really love to try growing them this year in my garden!! Linda ~ I'm sending hugs and 'good' feelings your way!! I hope things get better! Hugs, Wendy / sassyb.
    ...See More

Ft Worth Spring Swap April 10 2010 Haves & Wants Thread

Q

Comments (150)
    Update. Haves: I did some spring cleaning and I came across some wooden Trellis scrap. These vary in size from small to medium size (need an SUV to haul away). If interested contact me via email for a trade. Some of these I can carry to the swap. but the larger ones you will have to pick up. NOIDs: cuttings are from cuttings taken from Carrie few season back I think. Colors range from lite pinks, whites, and peaches. I do have several NOIDs that may have survived our cold weather from last winter. Each one was cut back to the ground before first frost and look like they may have survied. I will dig these up for trade for something special. All brug cuttings will be cuttings without a Y's and may not bloom this year. Adora (not sure if this is the right name) Brug cuttings. Wants: Indoor house plants. Low light to medium light conditions. Sweet heart plants, pathos, and other types of indoor plants Named Brugs Dr Seuss Brug Daturas Honey Suckles Passion Vine Shrimp Plant red or yellow Candel Stick plant Succulents Sedums Milk and Wine Lily Crinum zeylanicum Turk's caps Esperanza also know as Yellow Bells, Hardy Yellow Trumpet, Trumpet-flower, Yellow Elder Texas Star Hibiscus Hardy Hibiscus Please send me an email if interested in a trade...
    ...See More

new! color of the month seed swap: purple!!!

Q

Comments (46)
    I do believe that everyone now has their seeds. I'm so glad that everyone liked their selections. I tried to put in something that each person may not have or something I thought they would like. It was a great swap, thanks so much for participating!!
    ...See More

new: sept. color of the month seed swap: black

Q

Comments (36)
    The last package arrived yesterday & they're now back out in the mailbox. This was a tough one-hope you enjoy what you're about to receive. Thank you all for participating! The next scheduled color of the month swap is: October -- ORANGE - Hosted by Lynn (carsons_mimi) - Substitute host is Bonnie.
    ...See More
  • cybermeowz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Who else would like to host a Color of the Month Swap????

• poisondartfrog
    14 years ago

Please assign April to me! White flowers are my favorites.
    I could do February as well if no one signs up for it.
    You can also put me down as a sub for any months other than May, June, and July.
    Thanks, Alana

• cybermeowz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Linda and Alana for volunteering to host swaps and for offering to be substitute hosts as well!

Okay, here is an update! We still need hosts for the colors CHOCOLATE, PINK, YELLOW, BLUE, BLACK and ORANGE!!!

Alana has offered to host the Chocolate Seed Swap in February if no one else wants to.
    I can host the Blue Seed Swap in June if no one else wants to.
    Both of those swaps can still be hosted by someone else yet. We are just backups in case no one else steps forward.

So are there more people interested in hosting any of the color swaps???? Let us know in the comments!!

Here's an updated tentative schedule:

January -- GREEN - Hosted by Brandy (brandymulvaine) Join swap here : Green Seed Swap

February -- CHOCOLATE - Can still host this one or if no one else claims it, then Alana will host this one as well

April -- WHITE - Needs a host/hostess

June -- BLUE - Can still host this one or if no one else claims it, then Penny will host this one as well

August -- PURPLE - Will be hosted by Linda (lindaruzicka)

December -- open

Penny

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

Bump ...

Looks like we are off to a good start, Penny. Five out of twelve months are already covered, plus you've got some subs lined up too.

Come on folks and pick your favorite color before it's gone : )

Bonnie

• cybermeowz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oooops. . . I got so distracted by trying to put in the fancy colors on the updated schedule that I forgot to put Alana down has hosting the White Seed Swap in April.

So one more time, here's an updated tentative schedule:

February -- CHOCOLATE - Can still host this one or if no one else claims it, then Alana will host this one as well

April -- WHITE - Will be Hosted by Alana (poisondartfrog)

June -- BLUE - Can still host this one or if no one else claims it, then Penny will host this one as well

December -- open

Penny

• ramazz
    14 years ago

Hi, Penny, I've never hosted a swap, but I am willing to give it a try. I can do the chocolate one unless Alana wants to, or I can do yellow, or both if the first one goes okay, LOL.

Becky/ramazz

• cybermeowz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Becky,

I'm sure you will do a great job hosting a swap!! The Orange Seed Swap was my first time hosting a swap. It was for the most part pretty fun.

Do you prefer to do the Chocolate or Yellow swap? If you are willing to host the Yellow Seed Swap, that would be fantastic!! No one has spoken up for that color yet. Right now, I'm trying to make sure we get someone to volunteer to host each color. But it is up to you as to which one you would like to do.

Let me know what you think,

Penny

• ramazz
    14 years ago

Penny, how about this: I will definitely do the yellow swap and I am also willing to do another one - either the chocolate or one of the later ones if it doesn't get filled. I am going to do a chocolate garden this year anyway, and I have quite a few yellow flowers, so I just figured either or both would work out. My favorite color is actually blue, LOL, just don't give me the PINK swap, as I am trying to cut back on that color!!!

Becky

• cybermeowz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay, Becky, I'll sign you up for the Yellow Swap. I'll also put you as another alternate host for the the Chocolate Swap and as a substitute host for the other swaps except PINK!! LOL! I think everyone has a lot of pink! Thanks a lot.

Here's a new tentative schedule:

February -- CHOCOLATE - Can still host this one or if no one else claims it, then Alana or Becky will host this one as well

May -- YELLOW (yellow)- Will be hosted by Becky (ramazz)

December -- open

Penny

• jaynine
    14 years ago

Penny,
    I'd like to host September~Black and would be glad to be a substitute for any of the other months.
    Janine
    PS If you can't get anyone for the dreaded PINK, I'll do that one, too.

• poisondartfrog
    14 years ago

Becky it would be great with me if you do chocolate especially as you are doing a chocolate garden, but I will be available if needed.
    Alana

• cybermeowz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Janine, thanks for volunteering to host the Black Seed Swap. I'll also put you down as a substitute host for the Pink swap if no one else claims it in the next few days.

I actually think Pink could be a fun swap to host even though a few people don't seem to be too crazy about the color pink. LOL! Probably just because it is such a common flower color. And if you're a tomato lover as I am, just think about the unending list of Pink 'maters out there. Biting into a Pink Brandywine tomato a few years ago is what started my heirloom tomato obsession! Such flavor!

I'd like to give new people a few more days to sign up to host a Color of the Month Swap. The more the merrier I believe. If we don't get any other takers, then we can double up on some of the remaining swaps. Does that seem okay with everyone?

So here is where things stand. We still need hosts for the ORANGE, PINK, BLUE and CHOCOLATE Swaps. We definitely still need a host for the Orange Swap as no one has claimed this one or offered to substitute host this one yet. The Pink, Blue and Chocolate Swaps are also still open for a new person to host. If no one claims these in the next few days, then we have substitute hosts that have offered to host them.

Here is the new updated tentative schedule:

February -- CHOCOLATE - Can still host this one or if no one else claims it, then Becky or Alana will host this one as well

March -- PINK - Can still host this one or if no one else claims it, then Janine will host this one as well

September -- BLACK - Will be hosted by Janine (janine)

December -- open

Penny

• ramazz
    14 years ago

Penny, are you looking for a suggestion for December, or are we skipping December - maybe there are already too many swaps that month? If you are looking for a suggestion, I have one - YIPES, STRIPES - which would be for plants with striped flowers, variegated leaves, striped fruit/vegetables,and even one that have striped seeds.

What do you think?

Becky

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

I'll be happy to be hostess for the Chocolate Swap in February if you like. I already have some chocolate seeds on hand that I can make available to those who are swapping.
    Jeanne

• cybermeowz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Becky,

Sure we could have a striped seed swap in December if you would like. I had left December open because (1) I ran our of colors!! LOL! and because (2) it seems a little slow around here during that time of the year as people are usually busy with the Holidays at that time. I suppose striped veggies/fruit and flowers could also fit under the Rainbow swap as well. But if you (or anyone else)would like to host a Striped swap in December, we could totally do that too. Candy Canes are striped so it kind of finds with Christmas. Another Christmas idea might be a Silver and Gold colored theme swap. What does everyone think??

Anyone else have ideas for December??

Jeanne, I'll put you down for the Chocolate Seed Swap in February. Thanks for joining. If for some reason you are unable to host, then Becky (ramazz) or Alana (poisondartfrog) have volunteered to be substitute hosts for this swap.

Hey, it looks like we might just fill out this schedule. I'm still looking for Hosts for Orange, Pink and Blue. . . especially Orange!!

February -- CHOCOLATE - Will be Hosted by Jeanne (sandlapper rose) - Substitute Hosts are Becky or Alana

March -- PINK - Can still host this one or if no one else claims it, then Janine will host this one as well

December -- open - Could do a Striped Swap or a Silver & Gold Swap - Other Ideas???

Penny

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

If know one else signs up for the Orange swap, I can do that one too.

I didn't think about the edibles aspect of a pink swap, but then you had to go ahead and mention tomatoes. If the host promises not to send me any pink flowers, I might join, LOL.

Bonnie

• georgia_teacher
    14 years ago

I can do June. For some reason I was thinking it was taken, but summer months are the best for me...no children and lesson plans to worry about!

• cybermeowz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay Bonnie, I'll put you down as the alternate host for the Orange Swap in case no one else wants it. And yeah there are lots of edibles that are pink when you think about it . . . tomatoes, watermelons, chard, corn., etc. Is it spring yet???

georgia teacher, welcome! I'll put you down to host the Blue Swap in June. If for any reason you find you are unable host later on, I can be your substitute.

That just leaves the PINK and ORANGE Seed Swaps open yet for the taking. So anyone lurking out there yet who would like to host one of these swaps???? Also, does anyone have any ideas for December or should we just leave it blank? Let me know what you all think.

February -- CHOCOLATE - Will be Hosted by Jeanne (sandlapper rose) - Substitute Hosts are Becky or Alana

June -- BLUE - Will be Hosted by georgia teacher - Substitute host is Penny

October -- ORANGE - Can still host this one or if no one else claims it, then Bonnie will host this one as well

December -- open - Could do a Striped Swap or a Silver & Gold Swap - Other Ideas???

Penny

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

Okay, it's been a really looong day, so if these ideas don't make any sense, please forgive me.

My first idea for December is Pick Your Favorite Color, where each person that signs up picks a color they would like to receive, and everyone would try to send in one thing for each person in the color that they selected.

OR ... What about a One of Each Swap, where everyone sends in one item of each color.

Okay, that's all I got for now ... I'm going to bed, LOL.

Bonnie

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

I like silver and gold for December, but I am fine with whatever the group decides.

• georgia_teacher
    14 years ago

Thanks, Penny. I forget that I am still kind of new, so please, call me Christan. This will be my first, so as long as someone can talk me through it as well get closer to the actual swap, I am excited!

• cybermeowz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi everyone!

I have been out all day. Looks as though we don't yet have anyone claiming the ORANGE or PINK swaps. Bummer. :( I'll keep this thread active for a few more days and if we don't have any takers, then the substitute hosts will host them as well.

Christan, thanks for letting us know your name!! I'll help you out when it gets close to time for you to host your swap. It will be fun!!!

Bonnie, your ideas are a lot like what I think I might do for the Rainbow swap. I've got a while to think about it though since it isn't until November!!

As far as a December swap goes, I kind of like the idea of a silver and gold swap too. This could have plants with silver or gold foliage and/or flowers and silver or gold edibles (lots of "golden" edibles and at least a few "silver" edibles -- silver fir tree tomato, silver queen corn, etc.) But I'd still love to hear everyone's suggestions for a December swap and also if you would be willing to host it????

March -- PINK - This Swap Still Needs A Host or if no one else claims it, then Janine will host this one as well

June -- BLUE - Will be Hosted by Christan (georgia teacher) - Substitute host is Penny

October -- ORANGE - This Swap Still Needs A Host or if no one else claims it, then Bonnie will host this one as well

December -- open - This Swap Still Needs A Host Could do a Striped Swap or a Silver & Gold Swap - Other Ideas???

Okay, that's all for now,

Penny

• carsons_mimi
    14 years ago

Big Gulp time and no, I'm not talking the 7-11 kind either. lol

If you are willing to take a chance on a newbie running amuck (is that how you spell that?!?) while coordinating a swap, then I'll volunteer for the Orange swap in November or will help Bonnie with it if she wants to take the lead. Major hand holding will be required.

Seems rather full circle actually since the Orange swap this year was my very first swap with the RR group.

Lynn
    (aka carsons_mimi)

• carsons_mimi
    14 years ago

... er, I meant in October, duh!

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

Okay here go lots of "if's" - LOL - if the theme for December is Silver and Gold and if no one else volunteers to be hostess, I am willing to be hostess for that one in addition to the Chocolate Swap in February. I figure those two months are really far apart. So, I'll just wait and see what happens with it. You can certainly put me down as the "back up person" at this point and I will do it if you want me to!
    Jeanne

• cybermeowz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lynn,
    I'll put you down as the host for the Orange Swap in October and Bonnie will be the Substitute host if you can't do it latter on. It'll be fun. :) This years Orange Seed Swap was the very first swap that I hosted. Heck, I signed up for it in the original Purple Seed Swap thread which was the very first round robin swap that I participated in!!! We're all newbies at one time. The only way to change that is to jump in!! Since the Orange Swap isn't until October, that would give you some time to get more comfortable with the whole thing. If you need advice, people here will help. A few people helped me when I was hosting and that was really useful. You can email me anytime.

I like the idea of having a mix of veteran hosts and newbie hosts. We all have to start somewhere, right? I think these swaps are a pretty good place to get your feet wet as they are generally a bit smaller than a lot of the round robin swaps. After we get a final schedule, I'll pull everyone's email from their GardenWeb pages and send everyone a Final Schedule and a list of volunteer substitute hosts and their emails. That way, if for some reason anyone can't host their swap latter on or if they need help or advice, they will know who they can contact.

Jeanne,
    I'll put you down tentatively to host a Silver and Gold Swap in December. If anyone else has a different idea to throw out there or if anyone has a different colored swap you would really like to host in December, then let us know!!

The only other swap we still have open is the PINK swap. Any other lurkers out there that would like to host this swap??? Otherwise, Janine will host this one as well.

February -- CHOCOLATE - Will be Hosted by Jeanne (sandlapper rose) - Substitute hosts are Becky or Alana

March -- PINK - This Swap Still Needs A Host or if no one else claims it, then Janine will host this one as well

June -- BLUE - Will be Hosted by Christan (georgia teacher) - Substitute host is Penny

October -- ORANGE - This swap will be hosted by Lynn (carsons_mimi) - Substitute host is Bonnie

December -- open yet - Got any ideas??? - Silver & Gold Swap to be hosted by Jeanne (sandlapper rose) if no one else wants it

Penny

• jaynine
    14 years ago

Looks like I get pink!

• cybermeowz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yep, Janine gets the PINK Swap!! Looks like you have a lot of pink flowers too!! Also, Jeanne will be hosting a SILVER & GOLD swap in December!

Here's the Final Schedule:

February -- CHOCOLATE - Will be hosted by Jeanne (sandlapper rose) - Substitute hosts are Becky or Alana

March -- PINK - Will be hosted by Janine (janine)

April -- WHITE - Will be hosted by Alana (poisondartfrog)

May -- YELLOW (yellow) - Will be hosted by Becky (ramazz)

June -- BLUE - Will be hosted by Christan (georgia teacher) - Substitute host is Penny

October -- ORANGE - Will be hosted by Lynn (carsons_mimi) - Substitute host is Bonnie

November -- BIG RAINBOW - Will be hosted by Penny (cybermeowz)

December -- SILVER & GOLD - Will be hosted by Jeanne (sandlapper rose)

I'll try to send an email to everyone in the next few days with the schedule and a list of possible substitute hosts (and their emails) just so everyone has all the information.

Thanks to everyone who volunteered to be a host and who volunteered to be a substitute host!!

Penny