SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ccroulet

Salvia greatae in California

ccroulet
15 years ago

This is one of the more obscure California salvias. Even some local botanists, supreme experts otherwise, have never heard of it!

Salvia greatae has a very limited range, mostly or entirely in the vicinity of the south side of the Orocopia Mtns., Riverside Co., Calif. This area is northeast of the Salton Sea, a large, highly saline lake with its own interesting history. The population of S. greatae in the photos is the only one I've personally seen, and most herbarium records apparently come from this same population. There may be some plants further south, even into Imperial Co. There are also records from Hidden Spring, on the western flank of the Orocopias.

The plants in the pictures were found at 33.57224 N, 115.71071 W, about 600 ft. elev. (180 m). This is along The Bradshaw Trail, ca. 1000 ft. east of the road's westernmost crossing of the now-abandoned Eagle Mountain railway.

The leaves and calyces of S. greatae are prickly, unlike the other Audibertia salvias I've seen. The stems are sticky -- i.e., tacky to the touch. I'm left to wonder, which are its nearest relatives? Geographically, the nearest salvias are S. apiana, S. vaseyi, S. pachyphylla and S. eremostachya, probably at least 50 miles and the driest of deserts away. My guess: its closest relative is S. vaseyi.

This plant is named after a botanist or collector named Greata. Whether to be pronounced in two syllables or three, I have no idea. Munz ("A Flora of Southern California", 1974) gives the species epithet as "greatai," but all current spell it "greatae." I haven't tracked down the original description, which would decide the matter.

These S. greatae were in flower, but flowering was sparse. It looked to me like many buds were yet to open. It's been a dry winter, even by desert standards. I apologize for the poor quality of the flower photo. It'll have to suffice for now.

Salton Sea in the distance.

Orocopia Mtns. in the distance.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations