SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

ADA's Healthy Diet

digit
13 years ago

I'm just a little overweight. So close to the borderline that being overweight or not depends on whether I step on the scales at night or in the morning.

I don't have a problem with high blood sugar/insulin. Both my son and I had recent blood tests - on opposite sides of the continent. Just kind of regular sorts of things but both of us came out on the healthy end of the spectrum. DS had some questions for his doctor. One of his grandfathers died from complications brought on by diabetes and my mother had diabetes in her old age.

DS's doctor said, "A healthy diet is a healthy diet." Or, words to that effect. The kid (middle aged, by any definition) immediately got some books recommended by the American Diabetes Association to get some understanding of what those health professionals think of as a "healthy diet."

Hey, there are worse things he could do in a mid-life crisis! I tagged along on this to lend him some support and because . . . I'm interested in food!

The 1st thing I learned about the ADA's ideas on a healthy diet (Food & Fitness. Click on "Create Your Plate."): Portions are an easy way to have a healthy diet!

The 2nd thing I learned was that I really do need to think of winter squash as a "starch." But, that wasn't startling.

The 3rd thing I learned was that carrots count as a non-starchy vegetable along with spinach, lettuce, bok choy, peppers, etc.!

ADA's FoodAdvisor was able to show me that the apple pie that I had for breakfast had more calories than carrot buttermilk muffins! They even have a recipe for baking them so, I'd better get started!

Steve

Comments (11)