SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
polygonum_tinctorium

Good roses for high altitude Rocky Mountains climate

It's winter, and a gardener's fancy turns to next summer's garden.

I'm interested in adding some roses to our yard next year. I was hoping for some recommendations from everyone.

Here are the challenges I have to work with:

My altitude is over 8000'. I think I'm on the zone 4/5 boundary, with temps below zero almost every winter but rarely below -10F. We get our last snow in June, our first snow in September.

We live in the Pikes Peak Granite zone (in Colorado), and thus have gravelly decomposed granite as our so-called soil.

The mammals are vicious -- deer, rabbits, rodents, etc. I expect that we'll have to cage the plant for several years. It would be nice if the rose was vigorous enough to eventually outgrow the mammalian pests.

--------------

Here's what I'm looking for:

Hardy in my climate/altitude/soil.

Repeat flowering, though I'm willing to plant something wonderful with a good single-flowering period.

Minimal or no pruning/spraying/mulching needed. I don't particularly like hybrid teas, and would prefer a non-grafted, own-root plant.

I have some interest in growing a rose that will cascade down a concrete wall and/or get tied horizontally along a fence at the top of that wall.

I'm very fond of rugosa roses and other old-fashioned-style roses with nice scents. I tend to prefer the more double roses over the single-petaled varieties. We already have some wild native roses with lovely single petals. Rose hips in the fall are a bonus but not mandatory.

-----------

Does anyone have some varieties to recommend?

Are there nurseries along the I-25 corridor in Colorado that have a good selection of roses that would fulfill the above criteria? I'm willing to travel anywhere from about Boulder/Longmont to Pueblo, plus some distance east and west of I-25.

What are you favorite mail-order places for roses that will thrive in the Rocky Mountain region?

And does anyone have any suckers or cuttings from suitable rose varieties they'd be willing to share?

Thank you!

Comments (20)