SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stevation

New home, higher altitude, unsure of garden zone

stevation
12 years ago

Hey RMGers! I'm back! It's been a couple of years, and after a bunch of changes in my life, I'm about to buy a house and have a garden again. I'm still in Utah, but this house is at much higher altitude than before, and I'm not sure the USDA or Sunset zone maps are accurate.

The neighborhood is called Suncrest, it's part of the town of Draper, but it's at 6,200 feet -- a full 1,700 feet above the Salt Lake valley floor, up on a ridge that divides the Salt Lake Valley from Utah Valley. The USDA maps seem to say (it's not clear at this level of detail) that it's still zone 6a like where I used to live or maybe a 5b, but being up this high, I'm wondering if the winter temp extremes are colder. I've been renting up here for two winters, and I can't remember the coldest temps I've seen, but probably not less then -5. But that's not a long enough track record to really know what the extremes might be.

Any advice from those of you at this kind of altitude in other places? Anyone from Utah here who might know?

Comments (20)