SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rich_dufresne

Which Salvias did or did not bloom for you this autumn and winter

rich_dufresne
16 years ago

We had an exceptional drought and 100 degree heat in August, followed by a 90 degree September extending into mid October with 85 highs. The temps then plummeted for the rest of the year, and we began to get a little rain.

Very little bloomed for me, the mexicanas and Raspberry Truffle having the most noticeable absences. Others with few blooms were the guaraniticas, greggiis, even the microphyllas. The reglas and sessei were quite late and not as heavy. Vanhoutteis were a little better. Along with maexicanas, madrensis was late and weak.

The iodanthas and purpureas were quite late, but promising, although some of them are aborting their baby flower spikes now. The greatest current inhibition to bloom is a growing population of pests, notably spider mites and mealy bugs. These will be eliminated soon.

Mellisodora, keerli, and especially semiatrata have been pleasant surprises, although this might be expected from desert sages.

Puberulas and involucratas were late and measly. The Smith College involucrata has been a pleasant surprise, but that adds to my expectation that it is really the all-pink wagneriana. Gravida and curtiflora almost reached bloom, but are currently recessing back into green growth.

All others pooped out, though some are now putting on good green growth, like corrugata.

The two surprises were newbies from Robin, Salvia SL411 and S. dichlamys. Both bloomed well as long as I watered them, even during August.

What were your disappointments and surprises? Include comments on your (ab)normal weather.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES