SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drippy_gw

UPDATE: Theme Garden Swap

drippy
13 years ago

This is the new thread for the Theme Garden Swap. "Good Lord willin' and the crick don't rise", I am pretty much on schedule with this and hope to have packages mailed out Monday, but I will surely keep you updated.

Thanks for your patience,

Kim

Comments (74)

• drippy
    Original Author
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Gosh, I hope I didn't make you all think this wasn't fun for me - it is actually a very enjoyable swap, because you do have to stretch sometimes to think how a seed will fit into a theme - I've always had lots of fun with this. Even now, I am like a kid at Christmas - I keep coming back to the thread to see if anyone got their packs yet - surely the mail gets delivered on Sunday in some parts of the country? :D

No, I am passing the torch because it takes me a full month to do, which may simply mean I'm less efficient than other hosts. I've participated in some great swaps with much faster turnarounds than mine, and I'm baffled at how people do it. For this, I have to have a computer page for each player with contact info & GW name, a list of seeds sent in (most everyone sent that this time, making the job way easier), and a list of seeds that are sent in for the player along with the ones that get added to the pack. Only in that way can I see that I am not sending back the same varieties that got sent in (and like I said, I'm sure there are a couple of mistakes, too, but not many I hope!). But I have always had fun with this - and I always think it's better to go out on a high note than a low note.

I have dozens of projects that have been put aside for so long, I think it will take another three hundred years to complete them all. Yeah, I know, everyone's like that. Added to that mix are two weddings coming up - both for one daughter, LOL - being married in Scotland this summer, then having a "renewal of vows" (wedding for relatives & friends on this side of the pond) the following summer. This may mean my 20 year freedom of working part-time may come to an end shortly, which is ok too. I've had a comparatively easy time of it, and I can buck up to a little genuine work.

It is the people who make this swap so much fun. It's kind of awesome to be where I sit - not only are you supportive of me, but the way you choose seeds for each other, the thought you put in is almost like you were choosing something special for your mother's most important birthday. How cool is that? I think GW should organize a big (really big, I guess) reunion - with 5 years advance notice, of course - somewhere in the central USA - so we could all meet each other.

So hurry up and get your seeds, okay? :D

P.S. If Jeanne hosts this next year, it's in good hands - but I'm pretty confident it would be in good hands with any one of you.

• suecirish
    13 years ago

Jeanne, you did a fantastic job the year you filled in for Kim, so I am very glad to hear that you will be taking over for next year. I am to the point where I only do three or four select group swaps a year and this is one of the chosen few. Thanks so much to you both! Fingers crossed that my package arrives today!

• Related Discussions

UPDATE: Theme Garden Swap, Final Update

Q

Comments (114)
    Second round rec'd today - thanks so much Kim! This should just about take care of the final few jugs of wintersowing I had left; very ready to be done with it :-). Will get the stamps out to you ASAP. For all the gripes I have with the PO, they did manage to get them here durn quickly I think, and for that I thank them; and I thoroughly understand, Kim... I'm not good with numbers myself... words yes, numbers no way. ;-) Re the move, Kim and stage_rat, that's just been a dream of mine for 20+ years... not going to happen any time soon (if ever). Yes, need to let things settle here I guess; I do tend to cut and run when things get bad (or just turn my music up really loud). My mom and dad moved 80 miles away several years ago (to get out of the city), and now my mom tells me I can't move to Oregon until *they* die... (???!!!) lol. This from the woman who moved away from her whole family in PA to *TX* and then eventually to *MO*. lolol. And she's only half kidding when she says I have to wait. Sooooo, here's hoping I survive long enough to move to Oregon. :-) Anywho, thanks for the kind words, and again thanks for the great swap and the great seeds. Best wishes to all. Terri
    ...See More

UPDATE: Part 2: Theme Garden Seed Swap

Q

Comments (89)
    I may have listed this before, but if not: I have many red salvias blooming and setting seed. I am not sure which are which - I planted at least four types this year. Anyway, they have done well for me despite a rough summer and they continue to bloom as the weather turns to fall. If anyone wants a packet of assorted red salvia, let me know. I will easily have multiples to share. I also have white - variety unknown. They have done well also. Can trade more than one packet of these. I also have balsam impatients. These grow very well for me. The variety I have planted is Peppermint Stick. When I replant from them I get mostly blossoms that include both red and white, but some turn out to be a solid color. That's all I can think of to list for now. Wouldn't you know I went out to try to take pictures today and all the rechargeable batteries were dead. Maybe I can remember to get out there tomorrow. I planted some morning glories under a sweet gum tree and the vines went about 15 feet or higher up into the tree so I have white blossoms in the sweet gum tree. I think they are Pearly Gates. I will have to try that again next year! Jeanne
    ...See More

UPDATE: Part 3: Theme Garden Seed Swap

Q

Comments (82)
    Oh heavens, Jeanne! What a "welcome to the neighborhood" that was. I am glad that they didn't lose too much, but still, how devastating. I doubt this makes you feel too much better, but my whole family on DH's side all live out there in southern California in various places. We've had scares over the years and close calls, but they never lost anything to any of all the numerous fires. Even though the fires are common, those victimized by them are not as numerous... I mean it's not like everyone is out a home now and again out there or anything like that. I would figure that being devastated by a fire like this wouldn't happen all the time to same family. I think it's something that might happen once in your lifetime, if even that... I don't know if that helps ya, but it's just my 2 cents... Also, not sure if this helps you, but I remind myself that worry is the opposite of trust or faith... that wakes me up sometimes.... I guess that depends on your faith, though, or lack there of. ;-) As for the seed sorting, once again, you are very organized about this and doing a terrific job! Don't worry if you need to slow down a bit (or pause things) when life happens. We all do understand. I hope you and your daughter are feeling better soon... I am sure it was traumatic. Blessings, Angela
    ...See More

NEW: Theme Garden Swap 2009

Q

Comments (149)
    hello well I'm fully into getting ready to move(funny we have not evan listed the house or looked at a new one yet) but I'm going throug 10 years of accumulated stuff and getting rid of much of it. my aim is to get most unnessasary stuff packed and put in storage before we evan list the house. I still need to do some painting and lots of rilly good cleaning. wow I would love to have a house with 3 acres, but we are looking to move to Missouri, about 20 to 30 miles from here, I would like to be much closer to my in-laws farm so I can do much of my gardening there(180 acres should be enough to keep me buisy for a few years) idealy I would like to build a house at the farm but it is over a mile to the nearest house, and I'm not sure I want to be so isolated. well I can't wait to see what I get..... stay warm everyone michelle
    ...See More
  • sandlapper_rose
    13 years ago

Am I the first one to receive her seeds? The mail just arrived and I was so excited that I had to post right away!
    Kim, you did a fantastic job as we all knew you would do. I cannot believe how many seeds I got in my categories that I selected: Arrid, Extra Dry; Foreign Flavor, Autumn Spelndor, Scattorgies, and Little Boy Blue. There are many I have not had before and some I have not heard of before. I hesitate to name anything in particular that I was pleased to receive but someone sent several packs of tomato seeds that are "foreign" and I got excited over that and one packet is a purple yarrow which I am excited to grow, then there is 'Moudry' Black Fountain Grass which sounds great, and I know one of the packets (which I didn't spot again before posting) had William in the name and that is my husband's first name and this is the first time I have had a plant with William so thanks to the person who sent that, too. Actually, just a big thank you to eveyone who sent. I was kind of ho-hum about winter sowing this year because we have had such bad summers for growing things, but the new seeds got me enthusiastic again.
    I can't remember if I said when I posted the theme, but I picked Little Boy Blue for one because my older daughter is expecting triplets this year - three little boys! It will be fun to plant the Little Boy Blue seeds and think of them
    Okay, let me look through all these great seeds a bit more...
    Jeanne

• drippy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yippee! (See, I told you I'm watching this, LOL) Three little boys? No, you didn't tell us that, Jeanne - but that makes her automatically eligible for sainthood, especially having them grow up all the same age - hoo boy! (so to speak) I'll bet you're pleased as punch; I know I would be.

We'll need to compare summer notes - a LOT of what I planted died this summer. Some of that I think may be pilot error - I probably need to get things into the ground sooner but I was in the middle of my third (and hopefully final for awhile) move. But the heat, which I personally love, didn't help the plants any.

My email is down for the day, but hopefully I'll have it back up & running later this evening (when my tech expert is around to fix it) - meanwhile, I'll be watching here to see if anyone else gets seeds.

• sandlapper_rose
    13 years ago

My husband comes home for lunch and when I told him about the seeds with William in the name, he reminded me that I grow Sweet William. The new seed packet though is 'Emperor William' so he said that he was glad to get a promotion! Jeanne

• sassybutterfly_2008
    13 years ago

Oh Kim I am SOOOO HAPPY!! I received my seeds and just quickly went thru everything as I have to go pick up my son. (seeds first ya know! LOL he's 17, he's ok..lol) THANK YOU ever so much!! You did a fantastic, wonderful, exceptional job and I am so thrilled with my seeds that I've received!!

My thanks to all of you that are making my newest themes possible this year! I hope we do get to make a thread to share pics later on in the season, that would be so cool!

Thank you!!!
    ~Wendy / sassybutterfly_2008

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    13 years ago

Hi Kim,

I got my seeds to...whoop whoop!

I picked them up on my way out and had to have them sitting next to me begging to be opened. I got a lot of nice things!!!! Thank you for the work you put into it.

Thank you to everyone that sent seeds in for me.

Lisa

• drippy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Whoot! Whoot! They're making it home! Sassy, you had some easy & fun themes to work with; glad you are enjoying your packet.

I'm off to start wintersowing some of the bazillion seeds I still have. If I could have waited another 6 months to send your packets back to you, I think I would have given away a lot more.

• gee_oh_nyc
    13 years ago

Hi Kim,
    I got my package today.
    Thanks for an AMAZING job all the way around: coordinating, communicating, selecting... and thanks also to everyone for what you sent in.
    It's always a real pleasure to get the package and see what everyone did with the themes.
    My humble little corner of the concrete jungle will be 100 times more beautiful this year because of all of you.
    Blessings
    George

• sandysgardens
    13 years ago

I was so excited when I saw my envy in the mailbox today. But to my horror it was completly empty! The envelope was wide open and not a seed in it. The PO had a sticker on it that said it was received open and empty. Oh well, what can one say, but BUMMER!

Hope all other packages arrive save and sound.

Happy Gardening,
    Sandy

• Michelle Reynolds
    13 years ago

hello
    I got my envie today, I got both my swap envis today, what fun going through all the seeds. I have some sorted out that I will plant right away. Timmy loved his seeds and wanted to plant them right away but I told him he will have to wait. it is so hard to wait when you are young.
    thanks everyone esp miss Kim.
    I would volentier to host but I could not do as good a job.
    michelle
    ps sandy how many did you send I would be happy to share if you send me your address. this has happened to me before, it is so sad.

• drippy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

:( :( :( - Oh, Sandy, I am devastated. You sent in such wonderful selections for people, and some great things were sent in for you as well. I checked the tracking - I mailed it at the Madison, AL post office (handed it to the clerk, who put it right in her outgoing bin - no mishandling there) - but it then was processed in Huntsville, AL, St. Paul, MN, and your home town as well, before it was delivered. That's a lot of processing, unfortunately.

Well, I can't fix all of this, but I can fix some of it. You are too good a player to just let this go. Remember that I have a list of what was sent to you - and several of the things are things I have, and can spring some. I suspect some of the other players might be in the same boat - if you want to email me, folks, I'll let you know what was on that list, and maybe we can help Sandy out here.

Hope the rest of them get home safely!

• siichan
    13 years ago

Kim, I got my seeds today! I am soooooooooooo tickled pink. Thank you everyone who send their seeds to me. You are all so generous!! I got a lot of seeds that I've been looking for too! I truly appreciate all of your thought and care that you put into this. It makes me giggle to see the creative side of some of you here LOL. I absolutely love them. Thanks again, everyone! Kim, you did an AMAZING job!

Oh Sandy, I am willing to help you too! Sorry that it happened to you... I know how you feel :( Kim, I will email you.

• Michelle Reynolds
    13 years ago

kim please send me her list of seeds sent to her, and her address I will send anything I have from her list directly to her. we will all chip in to make this right.
    michelle
    micyreygrow@yahoo.com

• beauswatch
    13 years ago

Oh my goodness! I received my very large package of seeds today. Kim, thank you for all of your hard work. Many thanks to everyone who shared their seeds with me. I am thrilled with everything :)

I would be happy help out in replacing any of the seeds that were lost in the mail. Sending email.

• sandlapper_rose
    13 years ago

I will also be happy to send some of the seeds I received on to Sandy so just let me know if something I received fits in with what was lost. Sandy, that is terrible to have an empty envelope. I know these wonderful traders will make sure you get some and Kim keeps such good records, it will all work out.
    Jeanne

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    13 years ago

Sandy,

Don't fret. I'm sure if we all pitch in we can replace your envy of seeds in no time!

Kim, I sent you an email.

Lisa

• poisondartfrog
    13 years ago

Ditto. Let me know what is missing.

• jensyen ( z7 MD )
    13 years ago

Kim, My package came today. I am thrilled with the selections. A Big Thank you to Kim and to all who participated in this wonderful swap. Sandy, Send me your addy and I'll resend what I put in your envy.- Jen

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Just wanted to post that I received my awesome bubbler yesterday!! My garden is going to be so awesome this summer thanks to all of you :)

Sandy, I'd be happy to resend anything that you'd like.

Kim, sending an email.

Thanks again everyone!!!
    vina :)

• celeegra
    13 years ago

I got my envie last night!! OMG. I was really impressed at how all my themes got represented! The most interesting was the Maltese Cross seeds for the Maltipoo theme. :)
    Thanks to Kim & to everyone in the RR. What fun!! I stayed up til 1am listing everything out & starting on the sowing. I need help, I'm so addicted! :-D

Sandy, I'm so sorry about your seeds. Definitely let me know what / where I can send!
    Thanks again everyone! Grace

• buturfliis_mom
    13 years ago

Hi Kim and swappers

I gasped when I read that all of the seeds were missing from the envelope... I would have cried. I am sending an email to Kim and I would love to send some seeds. This may be a blessing, when your mailbox gets flooded!!!!

Kim, I had such a good laugh at your humor and choices of seeds. I loved the white wedding choices such as yucca, adams needle and zinnia envy, zinnia polar bear, obediant plant... I was rofl...
    I have not even made a dent in the package as I arrived home late last night after being gone for 5 days. So my project for today is to check everything out and dream... Then I am going to have to go find some more containers for wintersowing...

This has been such good fun and I cannot tell you thank you enough. It has given me such joy and anticipation. I spent my late evenings reading all of your posts and sorting.

Thanks again and again and again.

Ellen
    buturfliis_mom

• lisam627_ohio_z6
    13 years ago

Hi Kim! I got my envie yesterday and I am just thrilled with the seeds you sent me! Once again, you have outdone yourself - 2600 seeds.... I can't even imagine the work you poured into this!!!!

Your organization, communication and total coordination of this swap is outstanding and you deserve a great big pat on the back. Actually...I'd give you a hug if I could, but since I can't....I hope my many thanks will suffice in its stead. Thanks a million for an amazing job on this swap - it has always been one of my favorites and I'm so glad that I joined it once again!

Thanks also to each and every one of you who sent seeds in for my Theme Gardens. My gardens will be blazingly beautiful this summer because of your thoughtfulness! - Lisa

• nottougly
    13 years ago

I recieved my bubble envelope yesterday.
    Thanks so much for all the seeds.
    Faye!

• Michelle Reynolds
    13 years ago

kim
    watch for some seeds commimg your way
    michelle

• jaynine
    13 years ago

My unexpectedly large package came today. Thank you everyone. Kim~you've done a wonderful job. I'm overwhelmed. Thank you.

• roper2008
    13 years ago

Just got home late from work today and I was very happy
    to see my envelope. Have not had a chance to go through
    it yet, but I can't wait. Thank you for all your hard work
    Kim, I know it must take a lot of time to sort through all
    the seeds.
    I can also send Sandy some seeds, I have lots of extra's.

Linda

• poisondartfrog
    13 years ago

My seeds were waiting on me. Thank you Kim, for your efforts and thank you to everyone who sent in seeds for my themes. I received many more than I expected and I can't wait to plan the gardens.
    Alana

• drippy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Glad so many of them are arriving safely, and it seems you're all pretty satisfied - I felt pretty good about the packages I sent out, and my instincts aren't usually too far off the mark.

Have yet to hear from Moonphase, Yotetrapper, Beth_b_kodiak, Carrlinesue, and Suecirish - hoping those all arrive safely.

Michelle, I'll be watching.

Faye, let me know if yours arrived postage due - the P.O. warned me it might.

Your response to Sandy's plight has been heartwarming, but not surprising to me. GW people truly are the best - if the world were full of you folks, conflict would, for the most part, be a thing of the past. At the moment, we are close to covering nearly everything that was in her original packet. How awesome.

• suecirish
    13 years ago

Hi Kim,
    I got my package today, and after a quick glance - thank you, thank you, thank you - to you and to everyone who sent seeds for me. There are so many seeds that I haven't had before. I need to sit with a cup of coffee and savor everything slowly.

I would be happy to send some replacement seeds for Sandy, too. That is just too much of a disappointment.

• sandysgardens
    13 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Ellen, tears did come when I looked inside and saw no seeds but I do know it's not anyone's fault here, only some awful postal worker somewhere. Everyone's response in wanting to help replace the seeds brings tears to my eyes again, but they are happy ones!

I'm in awe of all of you for your generosity and kindness. By no means did I expect to have any of the seeds replaced and I'm overwhelmed just thinking about how everyone wants to help out. I don't know if there is a better group of folks anywhere. GW gardening friends are the best!!

Kim, I too went up to my local PO and they said it came into Champlins PO unsealed and empty and they put the sticker on it. They figure it happened at one of the PO's between yours and mine.

Wishing all of you gardening success this year and for many years to come.

Sandy

• drippy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sandy - nine years ago, when I first joined GW & the Wintersowing forum, and got so much friendly, helpful advice, I realized GW was a special place. Then I sent out my first trade of about 10 seeds and got about 30 back - wow! I really learned the meaning of "paying it forward". You have been paying it forward for a long time now, and it's a doggone shame this should have happened. But because of my GW experiences, I can't say I'm surprised at the overwhelming response I've had from the other participants in the swap.

What is such a delightful surprise is that nearly all of the original things in your pack are covered - very, very cool. I will give you a heads-up when they are coming your way.

Stay warm - it's cold in 'Bama here this morning, and more SNOW on the way tonight - brrr!

Kim

• yotetrapper
    13 years ago

HI all. I received my package yesterday and boy was I excited. Got tons of plants for all of my themes. Especially loved some of the heirloom seeds with stories and the woodland seeds.

Thanks so much to everyone, and especially for Kim.

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

Kim , I arrived home to find the packet of seeds waiting for me. What a fun and exciting assortment. Thanks to all for their generosity and to Kim for all the hard work.
    I'd be happy to send seeds for Sue. Please let me know what things still are needed. I'll also check her themes and see what I have.
    This is too much fun to have anyone miss out.
    hugs to all.
    BB

• drippy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay, so all are home except Moonphase, Carrlinesue, and Jshipway & Alwaysagarden (forgot to put them on the original list).

Teaching piano tomorrow - I have the best job in the world!

We have 2 inches of new snow. This is Alabama? And to think I moved from MA to get away from this stuff!

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    13 years ago

Kim,

I mailed an envy full of seeds to you yesterday..Please let me know when they arrive.

Thanks,

Lisa

• jshipway
    13 years ago

I received my package of seeds and all the seeds i can use. Thank u so much.

Jennifer

• moonphase
    13 years ago

Kim,I received my seeds and want to thank you so much for hosting this swap.I really hate that you are stepping down but I also totally understand.I do hope someone will continue this swap.it is a fun one.Thanks everyone that sent me seeds.My grandson came and went through his and said he wanted to plant them this week end.lol..so this week end we are gonna have a new winter sower...someone sent him some orange sunflower seeds citrus and I am gonna have to talk him out of a few of those.They are a wow color.Thanks everyone for making Gavin one happy little boy.
    moonphase

• buturfliis_mom
    13 years ago

I just mailed my seeds this morning... I love gardenwebbers...

• drippy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Micyrey, sent you an email - hope you got it ok.

• clay_lady
    13 years ago

I received my package . What a wonderful surprise!!! I love this swap-- I always have new things to try in my garden. I love heirloom tomatoes and other heirlooms. I have gardens at our county fairgrounds around the antique barn, so I use that opportunity to educate the public on heirlooms and other unusual plants. I have a small tomato garden there that people get to try out. Thanks so much for your time and unbelievable swap

• drippy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yay! Only a couple left to go...

• drippy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Carrlinesue emailed me, so I have only Alwaysagarden left to hear from.

• alwaysagarden
    13 years ago

Hi Kim, I did recieve my package of seeds a couple days ago, thank you for the lovely selection! Thank you for all your hard work.

Cindy

• drippy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Super! In a few days, Sandy's replacement package should be ready to mail off, and everyone will have received theirs. What a nice group you all are! :)

• roper2008
    13 years ago

Just wanted to say thanks again. Wonderful selection I received.
    I planted some of my milkweed in pots outside, gave some to my
    sister, who also has a monarch garden, and saved the rest to sow
    later. Also planted some Red valerian, Joe Pye Weed chocolate,
    Night fragrant jasmine, summer sweet clethra, Beauty Berry, and
    others I can't remember right now. The rest will be sown in spring.
    The butterflies and I are going to be very happy this summer, I
    love to watch them.

• drippy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sandy's replacement seeds will be on the way the this morning. Thanks to all of you who contributed (and also those who volunteered to do so after the original contents were pretty well covered), there were very few varieties in the original packet that didn't get replaced - and several of you sent some other nice choices to include - what a group!

Kim

• sassybutterfly_2008
    13 years ago

Ack! I am so sorry that I missed this entire mishap about Sandy's seeds.. I would gladly send in more too!! Sandy if you're still looking for something after your envy is rec'd and your list is updated I'd be happy to take a look and see if I have anything else you're looking for!

It's a BEEEA-UUUUUUUUU-TIFUL day here.. 72 and sunny. And a week ago we had snow. Crazy Ga weather! I will definitely be outside today enjoying all this!!

Hugs,
    Wendy

• sandysgardens
    13 years ago

Hello Everyone,

When I arrived home Friday night I had a priority mail box waiting for me on the kitchen table. Anticipation and excitement was everywhere. I couldn't believe my eyes when I opened it. Sooooooooooo many seed packets!!!! You are all the BEST! I am so appreciative to Kim and to all of you for these seeds. I did not expect my seeds to be replaced; you have my deepest gratitude.

So many different varieties of seeds to try this year that I'm going to be real busy sowing seeds; should keep me out of trouble for a while. Whom I kidding, the more I sow the more trouble I'm in, for I need to find homes for all the babies that grow. In my eyes, that's the best kind of trouble to be in.

Alana - I'm really excited to try the Canavalia gladiate (jack & the beanstalk) beans. I'm sure they will be a hit in the grandkids garden. I was telling my one sister in Kansas about them and she's wondering where to get them so she can try them too.

Thanks again everyone, you are all the BEST.

Wishing everyone a great gardening year with lots of flowers and bountiful veggie harvests!

Sandy

• drippy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yay!