SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bahia_gw

What S. African Plants are blooming for you?

bahia
21 years ago

Seems rather quiet around here lately...

A few of the more interesting plants blooming in the garden at present include the vivid purple Senecio glasstifolius which has both interesting foliage and masses of flowers in April/May, with a tendency to need fellow lower plants to lean on, it gets so heavy with bloom. Ursinia anthemifolia is another brilliant bloomer at the moment, although this one can remain blooming all year long here in milder coastal gardens, with deep orange flowers. Gnidia polystachya is just going out of bloom for me, after two previous waves of pale yellow flowers since last October, and is a soft delicate heathery foliaged shrub for full sun to light shade. Leucospermum hybrid 'Tango' is going into a second wave of bloom as well, with deep orange flowers. Polygala x dalmasiana never stops blooming here in northern California, and is great for the deep purple flowers. Psoralea pinnata is also blooming heavily, with delicously fragrant pale blue and white pea shaped flowers and soft foliage on a wispy shrub that looks somewhat like a pine tree when not in bloom.

The bulbs I have blooming at present include Tritoniopsis caffra with its evergreen foliage and brilliant red flowers, and blooms over a 3 month period for me every spring. Schizostylis coccinea is also blooming again, as well as Hesperantha buchrii, with pale pink flowers. Babiana is also blooming just now, as is Sparaxis bulbiferum, which is just finishing up. Freesia laxa and F. cruenta are just getting started blooming as well, and manage to seed themselves in any bare spot around the garden. Watsonias of all types are in full bloom in the neighborhood, in a range of colors, and seem to bloom well here every year without the need for fires to trigger them. Tulbaghia violacea and Agapanthus praecox are also in full bloom here, as is the vigorous towering spikes of Wachendorfia thyrsiflora, with deep yellow flowers on spikes up to 9 feet tall.

The only Aloe in my garden in bloom at present is Aloe saponaria, both the coral and yellow forms. A shade shrub just starting bloom is the soft lavender Mackaya bella, along with Plectranthus zuluensis, also a soft lavender and almost never out of bloom here. The dwarfer and more drought tolerant Plectranthus neochilus is also blooming, with deep purple mint like flower spikes and a great low groundcover for both sun and shade.

What is blooming in your garden?

Comments (14)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals