SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jclepine

CatLady'sGarden, Daylilies!!

jclepine
15 years ago

Hi there!

I was wondering if there are any specific day lilies that do better up here. The one I brought home (Esau) from last year's swap (Thank you!!) is so slow and nothing much has happened other than about seven leaves just hanging there.

I do water it often, as you had suggested.

The only thing I can think of is that it either does not like it up here or it needs more drainage.

I'm happy to dig it up and give it more drainage, but when would it be a good time for that?

Any tips would be helpful!

Thank you,

Jennifer

Comments (3)

• lilacs_of_may
    15 years ago

The daylilies I got grew a lot of foliage this year but never bloomed.

But then, neither did 80% of my iris and tulips.

I was told I needed to fertilize more, so that's what I've been doing this year. Hopefully next year they'll sort themselves out.

• catladysgarden
    15 years ago

I'm not sure where you live Jennifer. Are you in the mountains? A lot of them won't do much their first year, especially the tetraploids. Sometimes it will be the third year before they really start to strut their stuff. Don't give up on it.

I thinks that water is the single most important thing in growing good daylilies. They love water. They appreciate anything extra you care to give them. I like to spread well rotted horse manure in the Fall. I fertilize a couple of times a year, starting in late February or early March.

I have no experience gardening at a higher altitude than the Denver area. I don't believe there would be any difference other than a shorter growing season. If you have a very sandy or rocky soil, try to improve it with lot's of organic matter. Provide plenty of water, but be sure the drainage is adequate.

I'll be at the swap on the 6th with more daylilies. Hope to see you there.
    Karen

• jclepine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you!

Yes, I'm up at around 8250 feet.

I will water more and see if I can use more fertilizer in the spring.

See you both at the swap :)

J