SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
milehighgirl_gw

Poor germination results

milehighgirl
15 years ago

I have read a lot of posts on how to germinate pepper seeds and decided to do a little experimentation. I found the link for "Byron's World Famous Tea Recipe For Starting Seeds"

I got a pepper from my new ristra and removed the seeds. I divided them up into 5 groups: "Cold Tea", "Warm Tea", "Cold Water", "Warm Water", and "No Soak". I placed 25 seeds from the same pod in four separate dishes and soaked them overnight according to which group they were in (13 were left for the "No Soak" filter). I then took the seeds and placed them in separate, labeled coffee filters in an incubator set at 30° C. I placed a reservoir under the filters with a small wick to keep them moist. I used the H²O² recipe at a rate of 5% as was indicated in the "Tea" thread.

After two weeks the Cold Water filter had a couple of sprouts and I was really excited! Unfortunately I did not have the results that I expected. The "Cold Water" ended up with 4/25 germinating. the "Warm Water", and "Warm Tea each germinated at a rate of 3/25. The "No Soak" did eventually sprout at a rate of 3/13, but was much slower to grow, just barely showing any root when the others were already getting tiny leaves. The "Cold Tea", which was touted as being the best method produced a single sprout but the filter also had quite a bit of black mold on it.

So, all I know is that putting the seeds to soak in Cold

Tea overnight produced the worst results. Should I have not soaked them but rather just wet the filter? I was afraid to continue exposing the seeds to the tea left in the filter so that's why I put them all in fresh filters after an overnight soak. It seemed that the tea actually destroyed some protection that the seeds naturally had, resulting in the black mold growth.

Rather than have a small wick keeping the filters moist should I seal them in a baggie and then put them in the incubator?

The "No Soak" did actually result in the highest germination rate but was much slower.

I had such miserable germination results last year that I want to figure this out before I try my new seeds this year.

I might add that this was my second attempt, as the first attempt I used pepper seeds from a dried pepper package I bought at the grocery store. After 3 weeks there was no growth so I gave up and decided they had been dehydrated at too high a temperature. When I bought my new ristra the peppers were still fresh and moist.

Any thoughts?

Here is a link that might be useful: Byron's World Famous Tea Recipe For Starting Seeds

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville