SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimichangirl

Would like to try hybridizing this year ... suggestions needed.

kimichangirl
13 years ago

Hello everyone! I am a lurker on these boards -- especially the main Rose forum -- but lately I find that my passion (or obsession, depending on your point of view) for roses has been growing. This year, I think I'd like to take a casual try at hybridizing roses -- just for the fun of it!

I thought I'd post to see if anyone has some suggestions for hybridizing with the very modest collection I currently have. Which of these roses might make good seed or pollen parents? I would love to try something with one of my two OGR's -- or perhaps even Darlow's Enigma ... Here's a list of what I have now:

Felicite Parmentier

Tuscany Superb

Darlow's Enigma

Rosa Rugosa Wild Spice

Colette (climber)

Scentsational

Julia Child

Cinco de Mayo

Living Easy

Iceberg (these are just potted bare root roses)

Mary Rose

Golden Celebration

What a Peach

R. Glauca

I also have on order through RVR for a few band-size roses, but I'm doubtful I could use them this year:

Madame Hardy

Ghislane de Feligonde

Souvenir de la Malmaison

Jerry Jennings (Paul Barden rose)**

**That last entry also brings up a question I have, and forgive me if this is a terribly "newbie" question ... but is it illegal to use patented roses for hybridizing? Even if it isn't, is there a "hybridizing etiquette" I should follow? Most of my lurking has been on the main Rose forum, but I think I may have read post from a rose hybridizer or two here (maybe even Paul Barden?) and I wouldn't want to start off on the wrong foot! :-)

Any and all suggestions, comments and words of advice are appreciated!

~Rebecca

Comments (6)