SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosepedal_gw

New: New tropical subtropical seed swap

rosepedal
15 years ago

Hi Everyone... Welcome to the tropics....

We all could use some warm sun!!!

Anything goes. If you only have one seed to share send it in. No need to check lists just share what you have. I will try to match what is sent in but cant promise. It depends on the number of participants. If if we only get a few people we can share with each other. I know I dont need 15 plants of the same thing. So if you are willing to get a few seeds of some different tropical seeds than this is the RR for you.... Seeds to be sent in by March 15, 2009 and hopefully back out first week in april just in time for warm weather.....If you side trade please put that persons name on the packet I cant keep up with side trades for you...Most of all have fun. I know I have some extra brug seeds to share and some other stuff too....Barb

Comments (151)

• grolikecrazy
    15 years ago

Am still waiting for some tropical trade items to come in hopefully to add to this swap too. Chris

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Welcome Regina!

We would be happy to have you join us. No need to post amounts. Just send in what you can..I am so happy you decided to come and swap with us....

Thanks Chris I am waiting on some seeds too... Here is our new member list. Happy valentines day to each one of you...Barb

1. Rosepedal me
    2. Fcoffill
    3. Karmahappytoes
    4. Karyn1
    5. divahethr
    6. Chena
    7. Kiddo **** received seeds
    8. Chitownladyd
    9. Fool4flowers

1. Dimples31312
    2. Ibartoo
    3. Napdognewfie
    4. Ladylotus
    5. Grolike crazy
    6. zubababy ****received seeds
    7. Barbcoleus **** Received seeds
    8. Givelittle_getlots
    9. dige01991
    10. zoo-katie
    11. chellflower
    12. Sassybutterfly 2008
    13. ladygreensleeves
  • Related Discussions

UPDATE: #2 Tropical Sub-Tropical Surplus

Q

Comments (38)
    Hi Everyone! Stressed to the max here and going crazy as always! My sister is stabilized and she has convinced them to let her go home!!! Crazy girl! anyway seems like things may be calming down and I can get ready for my 'regular' summer excursions! I got a big box from Brecks yesterday and am trying to get my head around all of these new bulbs. I bought a 'grabbag' last year and most of the plants didn't do well in the dry heat, so they replaced it. WOW did they replace it!!!! I don't mind telling you I would pay a little extra for Brecks bulbs every day of the week! Their perennials not so much, but their bulbs are OUTSTANDING! Trying to figure out where to plant all of these beauties!!! (pineapple lily, peruvian daffodil, lily trees, aaaahhhh, so many flowers so little space) Who knew bulbs sould be so big!!! Look forward to some of these for Barb's fall/winter swap! Tammy, Side Swap box is any trade arranged outside of the organized/assigned swap. :) more goodies to share! Seemed appropriate for a 'surplus' swap! Chell flower what a wonderful box! to send and to recieve!!! Bigmama, I wish I could swap with you, but these coleus have just arrived! I am just rooting them now, but I will probably be looking for homes for the whole plants when fall comes, (I can't keep them over winter) perhaps we can do a trade then or for cuttings when they get a little bigger! Amy what a wonderful box!!! I'd like to get a peak at Chellflower's garden wouldn't you? Well I'd better get to work! I think this swap is now complete! I had a wonderful time everyone, I have enjoyed getting to know you all a little better and learning about your gardens! I hope you will all stay in touch. I definatley think we should do this again next spring! Have a wonderful day! Frances
    ...See More

NEW: Tropical Plant/Seed Swap

Q

Comments (5)
    If people will be sending plants I will let them rest a week or two before shipping them to each of the players. I am not sure when I will get enough people to join so hopefully it will be a little cooler by then. I will advise people sending plants/cuttings to send during a period of cooler weather. I know it may take awhile to get peoples there plants/cuttings or seeds. I will advise you when I send out yours. I will send plants/cuttings when they seem healthy enough to take on another trip. I love plants and I will not let a plant die on this round robin. If one does I will replace it with another one of mine. Let me know if you have any more concerns or questions Mike
    ...See More

NEW: New ! Spectacular Fall Fresh Seed Swap 2007 New !

Q

Comments (125)
    Hey there Moonphase- I wanted to let you know that you are not alone in not receiving seeds from Willy yet- I too am patiently waiting for their arrival in my mail box. I sent in a bunch of seeds and asked for far less back- and I hope he reads this here post cuz I really do not want as many back as I sent in!! It is a HUGE swap and a HUGE amount of time is spent sorting seeds! I hosted a much smaller swap- and it took about 50 man hours of sorting to get through it all! I know how much work it is- and am hoping Willi is taking some time to enjoying himself- even with working so hard to get through them all! I am choosing to look at this way- as with most things in life- the best things are worth waiting for! Hope it helps to know- you are not waiting all alone.... Julie
    ...See More

NEW: 2013 Everything Goes New Years Fresh Seed Swap

Q

Comments (105)
    Yip-yip-yeah, my big ol' envy full of seeds arrived yesterday!! Bit like a 2nd Christmas! Holy Katz,...what a wonderful, varied bounty! Willy, good sir, once again my hat's off to you and your hosting prowess! And of course, thank you everyone who participated! :)
    ...See More
  • sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Happy Valentine's Day to everyone!!!! :)

~Wendy

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

Hello Regina! I was thinking about you the other day, I am happy to 'see' you!

I am hoping Barb is NOT going to send me ANY seeds. I really do not need anymore.

Happy Valentines Day everyone! Hope you are all planning a little personal indulgence today!

Frances

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey does anyone here know if the belly plant can be grown from seeds? Barb I love that plant...You southern folks might know this for me... :) Barb

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yea I found them at whatcom...My valentines present to myself and enough to share a few too...Ohh they have a lot of neat seeds... Lol Barb

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Frances of course you are getting more seeds...LOL I cant belive you dont need any....I love seeds.... Have a great day Frances :)

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1. Rosepedal me
    2. Fcoffill
    3. Karmahappytoes
    4. Karyn1
    5. divahethr
    6. Chena
    8. Chitownladyd
    9. Fool4flowers

1. Dimples31312 ****Received seeds
    2. Ibartoo
    3. Napdognewfie
    4. Ladylotus
    5. Grolike crazy
    8. Givelittle_getlots
    9. dige01991
    10. zoo-katie
    11. chellflower
    12. Sassybutterfly 2008
    13. ladygreensleeves

Update..

Received your seeds today Dorothy! Thank you. :).. I also wanted to thank you for the beutiful card. Barb I received your postage today too. Thank you everybody. I hope your valentines day is going great. The fiance took me to the store for the big seed sale for our vegetable gardens... I cant wait for fresh veggies...Come on spring Barb

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1. Rosepedal me
    2. Fcoffill **** received seeds
    3. Karmahappytoes
    4. Karyn1
    5. divahethr
    6. Chena
    8. Chitownladyd
    9. Fool4flowers

2. Ibartoo
    3. Napdognewfie
    4. Ladylotus
    5. Grolike crazy
    8. Givelittle_getlots
    9. dige01991
    10. zoo-katie
    11. chellflower
    12. Sassybutterfly 2008
    13. ladygreensleeves

:) Barb

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Everyone...

It was a fab valentines day today. The niece made you all baggies for the lottery. I will be sending them to you. Here is a picture of her doing it. Zoo katie she drew you a monkey beacuse I explained to her you work in a zoo. She thinks you have the koolest job. It was a great day with all of us doing for one another. My sister made my fiance Split pea soup for dinner. You all it is so wonderful having family with you. I sure miss them all. I know GW sure is family orientated the way we all take care of each other. Okay no more sappiness I cant help it. Life is good with family here.

• ladygreensleeves
    15 years ago

Thanks for the welcome rosepetal.

Belly plant....would that be the buddha belly? Definitly comes up from seed here. My BIL has them and they are always popping up. When the seed pod busts it sends them flying everywhere. I keep asking for seed but he does'nt "know" how to catch them. And yes, I've discussed different bagging methods with him.

rosepetal I have a artist in my family too, he loves to draw and color. But I have to be honest too. He is now 18, and still draws, mostly with the shading pencils that I got for him. It's a stress reliever for him, he's been first in his class all thru highschool. When I first got the sketch pad and artist pencils for him DH thought I was nuts. But coming from a long line of artists myself I knew how it could benefit him. Amazing what a little encouragement can do.........

Hi Frances....waving frantically.....how ya been? You really did'nt think you were going to get away with giving away your seed and not get back any did you?

diego.....how you been? Hows everything in your neck of the woods?

ohhhh.....almost forgot, rosepetal I will be needing your addy to send my seeds to ya in a few days ;0)

Regina

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Regina!

Thanks for the information about the buddha belly. I finally found them at whatcom seed company. I will put a couple aside for you since you are looking for the seeds if you would like.

That is wonderful about your 18 year old family member that can draw. That is great you are helping to encourage him to draw. So you are a artist too? I wish I could draw Lol only stick people here.

Everyone we started the lottery today. I have to CLOSE THIS RR TO NEW MEMBERS since the lottery started. We took the seeds recived for the week that was not enough to go completely around and placed them in a box. The niece picked and I placed them in your bags. I have the bags hanging on my livingroom wall. It is quite a sight to see. I will take a picture Later....I will at the end of the RR go thru them to make sure there are no doulbles in your packs. Thanks once again for taking care of your fellow gardeners across the great states of ours. We truly are a lucky group. I am thinking I will do this again next year at the same time....Barb

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I always forget to finish my thoughts...Lol We will do lotterys on sundays for seeds recived for the week that cant make it competely around to each other.....I will take a picture later to tease you all....hahhahah Barb

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1st week lottery...Have fun with photoshop trying to enlarge the photo to see what is in your baggies..... :) Lol Barb

• barbcoleus
    15 years ago

Well I see a baggie with my name on it but I can't ready what's in it. It's more exciting this way.
    Barbcoleus

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

darnit ! Can't read mine.. LOL yep, I tried :P

Hugs everyone!
    ~Wendy

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hahhah I need to wash my lighting knob eewwhhh it is dirtyyyy...Lol Barb How embarrassing :) hahhah

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Barb my southern friend I just read it (your 1st week baggie). hahha Anyone who receives what they send in and ends up in their baggie will be changed too :)

I will place these in your envies I have all set up after I go through them (each week). I promise I am organized on this....I have thought it all out.

I am even in good with the PO lady there is only one in my town..hahhah We all meet there in the morning to have coffee. Small town America is wonderful we all know each other.

I am called the seed lady in town... I love that handle.. I had a lady come up to me and introduce herself and explained she was a gardener, well she was looking for information on how to collect seeds. Long story short we are good friends now... The PO Isnt so bad after all. I have met some wonderful people there waiting for their boxes to be filled because they have no mailman that comes to their house.

I love my town people and what they do for each other. We are going thru hard times right now. The big company that hires a lot of the town is going under. But, you wouldnt believe how people are pulling together to take care of one another. It is bad times but also wonderful how it pulls everyone as one.. Awesome in smalltown WI... Barb

• ladygreensleeves
    15 years ago

darn can't read mine.....getting out the magnifying glass.

ummmm...... who am I to say no to some buddha belly seed, that would be awesome.Thank-you.

Hope everyone had as nice weekend.

Regina

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Everyone I am asking for a request this week from each one of you!

Smile and help each other out. If you see someone that needs help or a smile only please do it....

It is contagious and it makes you smile inside and out...

That is what we do as gardeners... America needs smiles and help from our neighbors... Please feel free to post only if it was a smile and the feedback you recived from it... Come on girls and guys... here is mine :) Barb

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Belly plants make you laugh Regina! I love adeniums they crack me up! We are part of the belly family here! I tell the niece every night "let me check the belly" I check for holes...hahhah I poke her belly... Gosh I really am happy... I wish I could pull my sister out of unhappiness.. I am trying!!! Happiness spreads...

• kiddo
    15 years ago

Hi all, gosh i feel like a peeping tom.I couldn't read mine either....love suprises. This is just too exciting.Love ya all

BIG SMILE

Kiddo

• dimples31312
    15 years ago

hey sassybutterfly!!! Wendy I see you in the bottom right corner! LOL (I think)

Barb...You are such a tease! LOL

Dorothy

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

lol Yes Barb you are a tease! Beautiful neice too! looks to be having fun with 'the seed lady' I think I am getting that reputation around here myself! I have seeds sprouting everwhere! chomping at the bit to get the annuals started! My herbs and perennials are done (and growing) Most of my wintersown containers are 'greening up' nicely. Should have the rest sprouted in the next few weeks.

the "hosta project" is going a lot better than I had hoped, I have a dozen or so varieties planted (in my spare bedroom) and many baby hosta waving at me every morning when I turn on the lights! Some are even starting to show their true hosta forms already!!!

Have a great day everyone

• ibartoo
    15 years ago

Hi Everyone, I am just checking in. I have been MIA for most of the week.
    Barb, I didn't get my seeds mailed in last week, they will go in the mail tomorrow though. I will add in enough postage for the dC # too.
    Thanks for doing this, it is so much fun......
    I gotta start potting up some of the stuff that has germinated, I don't have room to start anything else. LOL
    I will check in more often this week.
    Linda

• dieg01991
    15 years ago

Hi everyone!
    Shoot, I totally forgot that the PO is closed today...even after all the posts about it!!! Man, this weekend flew by and for some reason, I thought today was going to be the 15th. Grr...SO, long story short, I will mail my seeds out to you tomorrow Barb. They are all packed up and the envelope is sitting on my desk ready to go.

Hi Regina, I'm doing good, how are you. Winter is getting really long up here...but nothing else is new. I can't wait til it's warm enough to start trading plants again. So jealous of everyone who's starting to see signs of life again!!

Chell, I see you have peony on your list. How the heck do you collect those seeds? I waited all summer for the seed pods on mine to open and when they finally did, I didn't see anything inside that looked like seeds. Are they tiny? Should I collect the seed pod before it opens?

Take care everyone!
    Amy

• chellflower
    15 years ago

Amy...at the time I placed Peony on my list I wasn't sure how it was best propogated...... I recently planted seeds from a pod I got in trade (they were small)-nothing yet. I've since heard that it takes a while to grow from seed though (...I'm low enough on space and even lower on patience!). I'm not even sure if they can grow from cuttings...

I've recently found a couple of named varieties (tubers)at Lowe's & Wallyworld. Hoping they'll multiply enough to trade offsets for other varieties by next year. Thanks for reminding me that it was on my 'seed' list...I probably should remove it.

Happy Trails...
    Chell

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Chell ~ you're so lucky to have Peony tubers at your local Lowe's and Wal-mart!! All mine has is glads and Iris, and they're really generic varieties too!

Heyyy dimples!! lol :P

Smiling @ Barb :) lol

~Wendy

• chellflower
    15 years ago

Oops! Amy, I thought you were talking about peony on my GW want list! LOL (I had/have? them on my seeds & plants lists)....

I did send extra seed pods for the tropical swap (recieved in a trade). I removed the seeds from the pod -they are small...I did plant some (WS), and no sprouts yet, but they were only planted a few weeks ago. As with most perennials, it appears that they require a couple of years to blooming maturity if grown from seed (but the blooms are usually worth the wait!). This is my first attempt with peony, so I'm a sort of 'clueless newbie'

As for collecting seeds....since mine were still in the pods I would guess collecting mature pods, allow them to dry and then either send as pods or open and remove seeds (they were small, but not too tiny).

Chell

• dieg01991
    15 years ago

Thanks for the advice Chell. This year I will try to collect the seed pods before they open up.

Amy

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Goodmorning everyone!

Frances glad to hear the baby hostas are doing good...

Linda nice to see you. Good luck on finding room for your new babies...

Amy if you would like I can place chell's peony seeds in your envy. Just let me know.. :) Have a great day everyone taking sister shopping today. We are getting snow the rest of this week :( I need spring to get here...hahhah Barb

• ibartoo
    15 years ago

Hi, I just realized that the due date for this swap isn't until next month. I will wait and send my seeds in later, you never know what I may find to go with what I am sending. Yipee!!
    Linda

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sounds great Linda! We were gonna go shopping today but, decided to be lazy. Got my chores done and decided to make a italian noodle salad with all the veges in it. Yum it sounded good. I hope you all a great day today. The storm is supposed to start this evening and wont finish until tis weekend. Everyone in its path please be safe..Barb

• katieauthier
    15 years ago

Hi Barb, love my bag I have been "monkeying" around than had to rush to get seeds ready so I mailed them today aaaannnnddd forgot to add extra postage let me know how much and I'll send it seperate (you have a seperate bag in what I mailed:))

Hi Regina, when are you going back to the zoo need your address are you going to Ricky's in Spring?

Katie

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Katie! I am still cracking up. I did the same thing too :) Everyone chell's seeds got here today! I have to say you all are really sending in some neat stuff to share with everyone here in this RR. I cannot express how wonderful you all are to each other.

Amy I placed one of chells peony seeds in your packet. Yea! One of my orders came today that I bought so I have to get busy and pack up seeds. I think I will do it tommorow during the snow storm. Have a great evening..Chell I am gonna email you Barb

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am all excited for you all and I forgot to paste this...LOL

1. Rosepedal me
    2. Fcoffill **** received seeds
    3. Karmahappytoes
    4. Karyn1
    5. divahethr
    6. Chena
    8. Chitownladyd
    9. Fool4flowers

2. Ibartoo
    3. Napdognewfie
    4. Ladylotus
    5. Grolike crazy
    8. Givelittle_getlots
    9. dige01991
    10. zoo-katie
    11. chellflower ****Received seeds
    12. Sassybutterfly 2008
    13. ladygreensleeves
  • dimples31312
    15 years ago

Just stopped in to see what was going on.
    Had to look for it! On page two!
    What just want work!!! LOL
    Back to page one
    LOL
    Dorothy

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Everybody!

The storm was not bad here today...Thank goodness. I got all my seeds done between last night and this morning...Have a great day today...Barb

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

Bump~
    ;)
    Good morning everyone! WE HAD RAIN!!!! Yipppeeee! of course its been wet and cold outside, I hope you are all surviving the last few weeks of winter!

Frances

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Goodmorning Everyone!

Hi Frances lol I wish it was only a few weeks more for me too...I am so happy you received some rain. I know how you need it there. I am also hoping fro a spring and summer like last year. Fran we only brought the hoses out a few times to water. It was a great year up here in Wi.

The year before was opposite. We were watering all the time. What a pain in the behind and on top of it I had baby plants everywhere so I had to water...

I am wishing you a perfect spring and summer (is there one) LOL Wel gotta run trying to wake up. I was up late last night again...barb

• dimples31312
    15 years ago

Had some rain lots of wind, but all so ok

Kylie did you get my 2nd email. LOL

Good morning (afternoon) Barb Running late today can not chance up. LOL

Dorothy

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Goodmorning tropical seed swappers we could use some tropical air in Wi 1.8 out right now...Brr

Dorothy I am so glad you made it thru the storm. The Greenhouse too :) I know you were concerned...

I am gonna try to sow some seeds I bought online today. I hope they germinate. I need to do some more reseach on them. Too many seeds and not enough time....Lol Have a great day today everybody and think warm air...brr I need more wood on the fire... Barb

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

Good moring tropical fans!

Its cold here this morning, I am waiting for it to warm up abit to go out and uncover my baby shrubs! I am now up to about 30 shrubs waiting to be planted permanently in the garden!

Hope you all have a wonderful day, stay warm (if you can) send me some warm air if you have some to spare (pretty sure we lost the brug and mandevilla this winter)

Frances

• dieg01991
    15 years ago

Hi everyone,
    Well, I don't know what the heck happened, I posted a message last night. But I don't see it now...hummm...

Anyway, I can't remember exactly what I said, but it was something about how we have at least another month and a half before we'll thaw out up here...grumble, grumble, grumble... Ugh!

And I also said that I was going to mail the seeds to you today Barb. Which I did, so they are on their way to my neighbor to the east! :-)

That's about it from me. Can't wait to start seeing all the great seeds everyone will be getting!!

Amy

• dimples31312
    15 years ago

Just stopping in to say Hello!
    I need to think TROPICAL since we have been hint again with COLD! LOL
    Dorothy

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

I would love to join. Could you please add my name and I will have the seeds in my the due date.

Thanks. Tammy

• greenthumbgrow
    15 years ago

I just realized this was closed. So sorry. I will have to wait til next time. :-(

Everyone have fun with your new seeds:-)

• zubababy
    15 years ago

I have received a b/o pack of pelargonium. I will be sending some of those in, as I can't use them all!
    I'm waiting to see if my hippeastrum seed pod matures before the deadline.

50 degree weather here today! woo hoo

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lol no tropics here snow all day..Boo hoo....Thank you zubababy you have done so much already for everybody...For those of you who receive Montera delisiosa the seeds have to be sowed right away....Temp 70-80 F Jatropha podagrica plant half inch deep bright light....Tetrapanax papyriferus 68 F can take as long as 7-90 days to germinate. I started us a new thread too. Have a great weekend Barb

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

50 degree weather here today too! Unfortunately I threw my back out (again) so I won't be DOING much in it! arghhh..lol

Just wanted to pop in and say hello to everyone and have a great weekend!
    ~Wendy