SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jnfr_gw

It ate my sedum!

jnfr
12 years ago

I decided to put a sedum bed across the front of my front yard. In fact, I've gotten a bit obsessed with sedums and started a document full of pics and growing info, but that's a story for another time.

I picked up two pretty sedums to start with, a pot of Angelina and one of Red Carpet, but then my husband decided we needed to put in new mulch beds around a couple of the big conifers in our front yard, so I hadn't gotten around to planting them yet. They have been growing happily on a shady table in my back yard, so I wasn't worried about them.

Then I noticed that bits of the Red Carpet, and only the Red Carpet, were vanishing. One snip here, one snip there. Then last week I came out and the whole pot was sheared off across the top. A couple of bits were scattered around the table, but the rest was just gone!

The roots weren't disturbed, so I hope it will grow back, but clearly this is one very tasty sedum. The Angelina wasn't touched. In fact, I had tucked a broken piece of Red Carpet into the side of one of my big terra cotta pots that had an Autumn Joy in it, and whoever was so hungry (I suspect squirrels) had dug up that pot and taken even that little piece! The Autumn Joy was not touched either.

So now you know, sedum spurium are the ones you want if you get hungry.

Comments (6)