SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
booberry85

Incredible Edibles: Seed Clean Out

booberry85
15 years ago

Happy New Year!

Ok, so you've gotten all your new catalogs and decided what you're going to order. You've pulled out a pen and paper a dozen times to design the spring garden. Before you order those seeds, don't you think you should clean some out of your stash?!

Good! I'm glad you decided to do so! You'll feel better. Those seeds that have just sat there will go to someone that will use them and you may get a few things you want too.

HERE"S HOW IT WORK

*This will be for edibles only. These can be vegetables, fruits, herbs and edible flowers.

Viable seeds only please!

It is NOT intended to be a swap to building your stash. It is truly meant to clean out your stash of seeds. Since it is a seed clean out there is a good chance of you getting less seeds back. Unwanted seeds are being donated to Need 4 Seed, an organization that distributes seeds to those in need.

Please send a list of seeds that you have sent along with a list of seeds you do not wish to receive. Make sure to include both your name & GW name on the list.

Please send a list of wants. Make sure to include both your name & GW name on the list.

Please make sure your "want list" is up to date on GW.

You will need to send me a SASBE and enough postage to get your package back to you.

I will look at people's trade lists and wish lists to see what their wants are. If there are seeds to match or come close to your wants you'll get them. If there are seeds that are questionable, I'll post a "Going Once, Going Twice" where someone can speak up if they want them. To keep the time table moving it'll be posted for 3 days. If no one claims them at the end of 3 days, they'll go to Need 4 Seed. The rest will be donated to Need 4 Seed. For example: I have enough cabbage seeds to feed a small army. If someone desires these seeds in our group, there yours! If not, I will gladly donate these to Need 4 Seed. I don't expect anything back in return for them.

Please sign up by January 24. Please have seeds into me by January 31. The first week in February will start the "Going Once, Going Twice" posts. Seeds to go out the second week in February. Make sure to update your trade lists!"

Happy Gardening!

Comments (115)

• booberry85
    Original Author
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Angela, thanks so much for the great information. I know it'll be helpful. I appreciate all your research.

Tracy, I'll be keeping an eye out for your package. 1000 tomato seeds! Wow! Wow! Wow! Are your going to have anything left for your own swaps?

Becky

• booberry85
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Keep those seeds coming!

People Participating:

Booberry85 / Becky - received seeds
    Austinnhanasmom / Deb
    SunnyK / Donna - received seeds
    Luvgardening2 / Nancy
    Gardeningbingo - NEED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS
    Grovespirit / Iris
    Southerncharm1 / Kathy
    Purpleacres /Tracy - received seeds
    Angelady / Angela
    Dancinqueene / May
    Haymay - received seeds
    Roflol / Terri
    Clay Lady
    Kamiljablo / Kamil
    Phantom White / Abby

There's still time for people to join!

• Related Discussions

HAVE: Seed Clean Out Swap

Q

Comments (0)
    I've started a new swap on the Round Robins Forum. This is a great way to clean out your seed stash & help others. Please take a look. We'd love to have you participate! Here is a link that might be useful: Incredible Edibles Seed Clean Out Swap
    ...See More

HAVE: Seed Clean Out Swap

Q

Comments (1)
    ...See More

update: ie seed clean out swap: last chance

Q

Comments (32)
    Becky! You must have read every possible choice of what I wanted on my want list! You're the BOMB! Thank you so much! If you can't tell, I got my package Saturday. It was really late when I got in and was able to open it, or I would've posted sooner. I didn't have any idea how big my envy would be coming back to me... Oh, my! I am seriously very happy! I can't wait to harvest from these and give back way more next year for this swap if it's done again. Blessings, Angela
    ...See More

UPDATE: Incredible Edibles- Seed Clean Out

Q

Comments (17)
    I am so glad to know that people are receiving and enjoying their seeds!! By the way....I am holding off on sending in the Need4Seed seeds until after I see how the tomato seeds I sowed this week do, because if they do well I have about a dozen or so more small packets of interesting tomato seed to add to the package!!And I took a count of the seeds for them today....and give or take a dozen maybe(I got distracted while counting LOL)there is 155 packs of seeds....some of them can be repacked into 8-10 packs....and I know at least one of my tomato seed packets that I already added can be repacked to at least 5 nice size packets :) so I think we did well!! :)
    ...See More
  • angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

I can't believe this... my dad just told me he's getting married on Feb. 14th! That's got to be one of the shortest engagements ever! I am going to pack up what I can today and tomorrow, so I can get them off to you... I will have more later to share when things aren't so hectic, but I'll have to send those directly in to Need4Seed. I hope that some of these will be useful to the participants of this swap and to the other homes they end up in!

Okay... off to pack up what I can and get it ready for monday's mail...

Blessings,
    Angela

• booberry85
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Angela,

Big CONGRATULATIONS to your Dad!!! Things will be hectic the next few weeks but in a good kind of way.

Abby, I received your seeds today!

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

Congratulations to you and your Father Angela!! What a wonderful way to start the New Year!!

15 years ago

Thank you!!! He picked an absolutely wonderful woman that the grandkids (my kids) and me love. Sadly, my stepmom he was married to for well over 30 years passed away last Christmas (yes, Christmas Day).... So, this is a bit sudden, but he deserved to be happy and not be alone... She's wonderful, and I can't wait to help with the wedding! I best hurry and get all my other commitments done so I can fully focus! I just have this and the Wow swap left, so that will help a lot... I just couldn't drop out altogether... these are too much fun and this one is helping a lot of families...

Blessings,
    Angela

• booberry85
    Original Author
    15 years ago

People Participating:

Austinnhanasmom / Deb
    Luvgardening2 / Nancy
    Gardeningbingo - NEED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS
    Grovespirit / Iris
    Southerncharm1 / Kathy - received seeds
    Angelady / Angela
    Dancinqueene / May
    Haymay - received seeds
    Roflol / Terri
    Clay Lady
    Kamiljablo / Kamil
    Phantom White / Abby - received seeds

15 years ago

Well, I'm finally done packing seeds. I packed them in the increments recommended by Need4Seed in case they go unspoken for. It amazed me that I ended up with a little bit more than 100 packs! I guess I didn't go quite as easy on this swap as I thought I would. LOL

My husband is dropping the package off at the post office when he runs errands tomorrow afternoon for work. You should have it by thursday or so.

Blessings,
    Angela

• booberry85
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Great Angela! I'll be looking for them.

• clay_lady
    15 years ago

seeds went out today clay_lady

• roflol
    15 years ago

Seeds taken to the post office about an hour ago. :]
    Terri

• booberry85
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Clay Lady & Terri,

I'll keep an eye out for your seeds. No seeds came in the mail today.
    :(

• purpleacres
    15 years ago

must be the day to not get seed mailers in the mail. I did not get any for my swap either today :(

• roflol
    15 years ago

A watched mailbox never boils. I waited nearly a month longer than most for one swap's return, and probably three months for the other end of one recent trade (I expected a delay). They both showed up two days ago, the first day I stopped thinking about them. :]

• booberry85
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I received Kamil's seeds today. Kamil, you didn't submit a wish list. Should I just use your GW want list?

• booberry85
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I received seeds from Angela today. Here's an update.

Austinnhanasmom / Deb
    Luvgardening2 / Nancy
    Grovespirit / Iris
    Angelady / Angela - received seeds
    Dancinqueene / Pam
    Haymay - received seeds
    Roflol / Terri
    Clay Lady
    Kamiljablo / Kamil - received seeds

I have not heard anything from Austinnhanasmom / Deb or Grovespirit / Iris. I know Iris had some health issues before Christmas. I hope you're ok, Iris. I know the ice storms hit some states hard. Hope everyone is ok.

• kamiljablo
    15 years ago

Remember I like any weird veggies!

Kamil

• booberry85
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I received seeds today from Nancy & Terri. Thanks so much! We have a great selection of seeds. I still have a few people that should be sending seeds. I plan on doing a little more sorting this weekend. I'm hoping by the middle of next week to start posting the "Going Once, Going Twice," for unclaimed seeds.

Enjoy the Superbowl!

• roflol
    15 years ago

Yay! Thanks for the update, Becky - it's always a relief to me to know the seeds I sent got there safely. :]

15 years ago

BTW, sorry for taking down my list... I did put up a link back on my page to my original want list since I'm still trying to update my list.

Blessings,
    Angela

• austinnhanasmom
    15 years ago

mailed my seeds yesterday - sorry for the delay -

• booberry85
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Deb. Thanks for letting me know.

Clay Lady, I haven't received your seeds yet. I hope they're not stuck in the ice storm mess in the mid west. I'll keep an eye out for them.

• clay_lady
    15 years ago

sorry, we are buried but my seeds did go out. The dog teams have been going past the house-- so I know that some things are moving. We've had a whole week of zukky weather and alot of no school.Thanks for the note. clay_lady

• booberry85
    Original Author
    15 years ago

"dog teams" Rofl! It's been a tough winter and it's half way done. Our snow storm that we were suppose to get yesterday turned out to be a dud (thank goodness!) Instead of the 4-6 inches of snow, we had a sunny day! Boy, did the weathermen screw that up! We're suppose to get another storm tonight and one for Wednesday too. Come on spring!

Back to the swap! Clay Lady, if your seeds don't come this week, would it be ok for me to pull a selection of seeds for you? I saw on your trade list that you like heirlooms. Would you like to send me an email of your wish list?

• booberry85
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here's an update.

Austinnhanasmom / Deb
    Luvgardening2 / Nancy - received seeds
    Grovespirit / Iris
    Angelady / Angela - received seeds
    Dancinqueene / Pam
    Haymay - received seeds
    Roflol / Terri - received seeds
    Clay Lady
    Kamiljablo / Kamil - received seeds

I've heard from everyone except Grovespirit / Iris. I'm hopeful she will turn in seeds. I know she had health issues before Christmas, but saw she just submitted seeds to another swap. I think I've at least heard from everyone else and its a matter of our mail system.

I've been very happy with the wonderful selection of seeds people have submitted. Later this week you'll see an:
    "UPDATE: IE Clean Out: Going Once, Going Twice" if the whole title fits! This is where I'll post the list of unclaimed seeds. You can claim as many as you like, but it will be first come, first serve. Fortunately, there are doubles of quite a few seeds.

• booberry85
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I received seeds today from Clay Lady. Hurray! I also received seeds today from Deb. Pam emailed me last week and the seeds are on their way.

• booberry85
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Pam, Your seeds came in today's mail too! We'll give Grovespirit another couple days.

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

I cant believe how exciting this is getting...everyday I come to this thread to see whose seeds are in!! And we are almost there...I cannot wait to see what happens in the 'going once going twice' thread LOL!!

• luvgardening2
    15 years ago

I KNOW! I keep waiting for the going once going twice. I can see it now. We are all going to end up with more than we Cleaned Out. LOL! Where is that 12 step program?
    Nancy

• booberry85
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Grovespirit had to drop out of the swap. I'll go through people's wish lists again tomorrow. Then I'll start posting the Going Once, Going twice as an update on Wednesday. Glad people are excited!

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Nancy, we do not offer 12 steps to clean up... ROFL We only offer the ability to enable others with the like addiction! HAHAHA! :D

I can't wait to see what goodies are on the list. This is so exciting. I get up each day knowing I'm a day closer to having my needs fulfilled! hehehe ;D

Becky, I want to say thanks for hosting this. It was a great idea and for such a wonderful cause too. THANKS!!! BTW, my envie should be there in a few days. I totally forgot to send it like I had planned.

• roflol
    15 years ago

Dang, the suspense is killing me! I wonder if husband would mind postponing 25th anniversary plans one day so I can camp out at the computer for that GOGT list! And my Ctrl and R buttons (reload) are going to be completely blank before this is over! ;]

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

ROFL, I'm thinking that might cause some pent up hostility! HAHA Hey, but I would still ask. ROFLMBO!!!

• booberry85
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Roflol, ROLF!!! Now I have to clean the coffee off the monitor!

Kathy, that's fine.

• booberry85
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello everyone!

Tomorrow will start the "Going Once, Going Twice." I've broken them down into 7 catagories. Wherever possible I tried to give the dates on the seeds and the number of trades left. Here are the catagories:

1. Beans, Cowpeas, Peas, Okra & Corn
    2. Herbs & Spices
    3. Melons, Cucumbers, Squashes, Pumpkins & Gourds
    4. Peppers, Eggplants and Tomatillo
    5. Root Vegetables
    6. Tomatoes
    7 Other Vegetables

Anyone in the swap is welcome to claim the seeds. It will be first come first serve. Hope you have fun!

• roflol
    15 years ago

Pssssst! Psssssssst! Becky! Becccccckkkkkkyyy! Beccckkkaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy!

Heyyyyyy, Becky, girlfriend, pal-o-mine, Becky McBeck-Beck, Beckmeister! Sooooooo.... what time d'you think you might be, y'know, posting this little ol' list, hmmmmmm? Maybe midnight a la Woot? Or will it be middle of the morning like some of those crazy eBay sellers who never sleep?

It's okay to say, it's just you and me.... ;]

15 years ago

You seed addicts sure are funny!.... Oh, I mean us seed acticts... hee hee

Becky, I am thinking we're probably gonna ask for some things that might have been put aside for us because it was on our wants already, huh? I just thought I'd throw that out there as we don't know what was picked out for us already! LOL

Oh, I can tell this is going to be fun, fun stuff! hee hee

Blessings,
    Angela

• roflol
    15 years ago

Okay, now I don't feel so bad... Angela's stalking the thread too. I *thought* I felt my Sniper Sense tingling! lol ;]

• luvgardening2
    15 years ago

Becky, You are teasing us. Isn't it Wednesday where you are??? Please make it a decent hour for us West Coast people. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nancy

• roflol
    15 years ago

Watching, and waiting..... waiting, and watching....

lol, I'm starting to feel like a creeper.

Poor Becky. If we were all together IRL, I suspect she'd resort to throwing them in the room, then running away screaming.

I'll stop now. :]

15 years ago

ROFL!!! You about made my heart stop with that one! Seeds thrown up in the air and coming down all around us... oh, am I dreaming??? Oh, grief! I sure am! hee hee

Well, sorry to upset any late night lurkers, but Becky is a morning gal usually on the thread.... NOT that I was checking how early she posts or anything... hahahahaha

Blessings,
    Angela

• roflol
    15 years ago

Oh, you are *good* angelady... I had not even considered researching Becky's posting patterns to determine when the list might be posted... verrrrrrry resourceful! :]

Well, that pretty much sinks my night-owl boat! lol, and it truly is a good thing, too, as my whole reason for participating in these bigger swaps is to reduce inventory, not replace it. :]

I know some of those GOGT seeds will find great homes with the swappers on this thread, and whatever is left will come in handy at N4S. Have fun everybody!

Hope you have fun, too, Becky, and hope my "eyes" didn't scare you too... would not like to hear you had to mop up any other messes. =:-0

(I'm so sorry, I truly will stop now!)

;]

• booberry85
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Are you ready? The lists of unclaimed seeds are up. There are a total of 7 lists. I'll give people through Saturday (Feb 7th) to go through the lists. Sunday, I'll post a "Last Call" of any unclaimed seeds. It'll be your last chance to claim any seeds. I'll plan to get your seeds back in the mail to you a week from today. Hope you have fun!

Here's a link to the lists!

• booberry85
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ROFL! Terri and Angela, I was so concerned about getting those lists up that I didn't read your posts until after I posted. I think the term "seed stalkers" can be used here! LOL! The DH said, "Hmm, someone's got it worse than you," in reference to seed collecting!

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

ROFL!!! That was the funniest stuff!!

Jeepers creepers where'd ya get those peepers... HAHAHA!

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

I love this place...and like my kids always used to say....

The Potatoes have Eyes...The Corn has Ears ....and Celery Stalks....watch your back in the garden!!!

I guess that is pretty fitting here with all of you/us Seed Creepers!!LMBO!!!

• roflol
    15 years ago

lol at y'all.... and sunnyk, I'd never heard celery part before - that's a hoot!

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Becky, by any chance did you receive my return shipping yet?

• booberry85
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Kathy,

I haven't received it yet. I'll let you know when it comes. I seem to remember the mail taking a long time to get to and from Florida to New York.

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

K, thanks Becky. I forgot about it taking longer. lol :D