SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bella_trix_gw

Assorted end of the season pepper questions

16 years ago

I have a couple of questions now that fall is really here:

1) the weather has finally turned colder here in PA, 40-50s at night, 60-70 day. My plants, especially the habaneros and anaheim, are covered with green peppers. Will they ripen? If not, how can I use green habaneros?

2) When should I give up and harvest the last green peppers? If the plants die from the cold, will the peppers also be toast or still usable?

3) My peppers really took off in the last month. Is that normal for the time of year or was it just the age of the plants? I did get some ripe Habaneros, but have lots of green ones now. They were started February 14th inside. Should I start them earlier next year?

4) When should I pick anaheims for roasting? I've been picking them when they are half red and green. Can I use the all green ones too?

5) Would it be worth digging up a habanero and bringing it inside to ripen the last peppers? Would the shock from potting it make it drop the peppers? I have a sunny window or could set up the grow lights again. Any thoughts?

I had a very good season for my first year, even though the plants weren't in the best of locations. First they were a little crowded by the potatoes, then by the out of control tomatoes (who knew they'd get so big here on the east coast! not me, apparently). To add insult to injury, the tomato cages blew over in the high wind on top of the peppers. They survived, but I almost had a heart attack when I saw the situation. I've had a good harvest so far, so I'm happy. Many thanks again to John in Maine for the free pepper seed!

Thanks,

Bellatrix

Comments (6)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional