SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
t_bob

---dehydrating too much ?

t-bob
14 years ago

i was wondering....can you OVER--DEHYDRATE peppers?

can i leave the dried ones in the dehydrator as the rest of the batch dries, or should i remove them as they dry?

i was thinking its better to ask now, rather than learn later that i should pull them out as they dry. kind like the guy who threw away those "white lined" jalapenos not long ago....simply corked, but he didn't know they were still good....he should have asked first, therefore so am i. i just figured that way i'd KNOW they were dried, but i'd hate to cook all the good stuff out

what about throwing them in thye freezer in a bottle after dehyrating??

ok, thanks for any input---texas bob

Comments (6)

• chillilover
    14 years ago

As long as there at a low temp 120F to 130F I don't think you can if there in a few hours too long. But if it's going to be a really long time, I'd pull them out. Also the best way to store them is in an air tight ziplock and even again in a tupperware container with some rice or silica gel pacs to remove moisture. Keep them in a cool dark place as well.

• fiedlermeister
    14 years ago

I agree about timing and usually leave them in until everything is crisp ( at 125 or lower). I store them in glass canning jars.

john

• User
    14 years ago

t-bob,

I can't disagree with the advice you've gotten from chililover and John.

The only thing I would add is; a lot depends on your dehydrator. If you have one that allows you to adjust temperature then no worries.

If yours just plugs in without temp options then it's very likely drying at 140+ F (the minimum safe temp for food products such as meats if making jerky). In this case you may want to pull the dry ones as you go.

I, like John, use glass mason jars. One trick to ensure they are dried properly for long term shelf storage is to fill the jars, cover and sit them inverted on the shelf. If condensation forms on the glass over two or three days, then they are not dry enough and must be dried further. This works for checking whole or ground peppers.

Bill

• nc_crn
    14 years ago

I was on a stomach-acid medication for a little while and they included little packets of "food grade" silica gel.

I throw a couple of those (they're kinda small) into my dried peppers and they seem to do just fine.

You can buy ones that turn colors when they're full of moisture and you can microwave the moisture out of them for re-use, too.

• t-bob
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks for the input folks.

yes, i do have the simple plug and dry...which does at least have a fan.
    i like your suggestion bill of putting in a jar and inverting to see if any moisture forms. this is the first year to try to use the dehydrator for pods straight off the plant.

in years past, i've only used my dehydrator to finish drying jalapenos i'd smoked for two days to make chipotle.

in previous years i have just tied up the pods and inch apart on string and hang up high in the woodstove area (makes great solstice/yule decorations).....but it turned wet and cool a bit early here and we don't have a fire going regular yet, therefore using the dehydrator.

now i want to invest in a thermostat model....any suggestions?

i'll add some rice to the bottles to absorb moisture, but not the silica paks...that seems a bit weird to me even if they are food grade...but so is government cheese and frozen dinners......which i definitely avoid

once again,. thanks all and do enjoy your harvest---bob

ps: also thank you bill(?) for the suggestion to be careful of
    fire danger using dehydrators (a different post)...i now turn off at night
    or when i'm not in the house

• User
    14 years ago

Bob,

I didnÂt intend to make anyone overly nervous about using their dehydrator; the risk of fire is very small. If it were a common problem then theyÂd pull them off the shelves.

When you think about it, the cheaper consumer models are little more than glorified hair dryers. You wouldnÂt want to run one of those 24 Â 48 hours on a combustible surface.

Can you find a spot like a concrete garage floor or metal/glass covered patio table outside? The reason I ask is that turning it off at night or when youÂre out during the day really extends drying time. Whenever itÂs off, your peppers are re-absorbing moisture. When you turn it back on youÂre not starting where you left off.

Bill (whoÂs avoiding yard work checking GW)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting