SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Why are my potted peppers dropping leaves?

2ajsmama
9 years ago

I have some bihs and douglahs, 1 serrano I've had in pots a few years. The Douglah dropped some leaves this spring but perked up this summer after adding potting soil (they're in the largest pots I own) and fertilizing, they didn't go outside though. 1 has dropped all the leaves and the upper branches are brittle, but has new growth low down. I don't know if cutting it off just above those will stimulate new growth. The other looks OK but has started dropping leaves again.

The bihs grew 1 big main stem with lots of leaves coming right off, never really branched out, again looked bad at the end of the spring but I potted them up to larger pots and they took off. Those were outside most of the summer. Unfortunately they and the serrano picked up aphids so I've had to spray them with insecticidal soap a couple of times this month. I haven't fertilized again b/c of the aphids but they still look dark green, they're just dropping perfect-looking leaves at the slightest movement. Is this b/c of the aphids, the soap, or maybe overwatering? I let them soak in the laundry sink overnight, not a lot of water but maybe too long?

Sorry I took pix and shared them on iCloud but can't get them to post. I might have to copy them to My Pictures on the computer and do that later.

This post was edited by ajsmama on Thu, Oct 16, 14 at 15:00

Comments (5)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner