SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
soilent_green

How stable are hot pepper varieties?

soilent_green
11 years ago

This year I am in the process of growing out chilis, hots, and super hots. I am trying to isolate the varieties to maintain purity of strain for seed stock but I question the purity of the original seed stock that I have acquired. I am having a very successful season but I have noted many inconsistencies in pepper plant, leaf, and fruit appearances regarding sizes, colors, shapes, ripening/maturity time frames, production, etc. amongst seed that was acquired through various (what I considered) reputable commercial seed sources.

I have read in this forum how confusing it can be for folks regarding what they actually are growing versus what was intended so I know there are issues out there regarding possible ineffective, sloppy, or non-existent isolation techniques carried out by either careless and/or well-intentioned growers and sellers who are then passing their seed on to others as a pure strain.

My first questions are thus: Should I attribute variances to sloppy growing techniques due to human interference or is much of it due to the amazing diversity and adaptation of the pepper? Should I consider saving seed in separate sub-categories based on variances occurring within a specific variety or should I only save the seed from the plants that follow the most closely to the standard descriptors of that variety?

The main reason I am a bit anal regarding pure strains is that I believe I have a strong local market in which to sell hot and super hot pepper plant varieties at a rather comfortable profit (which would fund my expanding growing activities). I do not want to sell something that I am not certain about and therefore cannot feel 100% comfortable backing up.

My other issue is that, while I want to keep varieties isolated in order to maintain purity of strain, I also want to create a hot pepper landrace by letting all the varieties that I grow cross-pollinate with each other to produce a strain that is adapted to the growing conditions in my area and local climate. I am wondering if anyone out there has attempted this and if so, what were the results achieved?

For landrace purposes I do not obsess about having the hottest pepper, or for that matter, starting out with pure strains. My goal is to create stock that is disease-free, has a decent flavor, is a prolific producer, is relatively maintenance-free and drought resistant, and is tuned in to my local climate and growing conditions. In the long run this will be far more successful compared to any hobby plantings of pure strains that I am currently doing.

Any thoughts on these topics?

BTW I tried my first ripe dorset and bhut peppers. Absolutely incredible - I seriously thought I was going to end up in the emergency room. Awesome indeed. If my heart can take that experience, and I didn't stroke out, I figure my worn out body is still good for a few more years!

-Tom

Comments (7)

Sponsored