SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oakiris

Help me to choose a replacement tree?

oakiris
11 years ago

I am finally giving up on my Northern Red Oak (Quercus rubra.) I planted it about 20 years ago because I so wanted the red fall colour that is so hard to find here in Colorado. It is not a tree for clay alkaline soils but I was determined to give it a try anyway. It has, naturally, struggled and struggled with chlorosis because of the lovely soil here. I keep adding iron, but.... Anyway, last fall we had that nice heavy snow when the tree was still fully leafed out and the tree's leader broke about 6 feet from the top, destroying the shape of this poor struggling tree. I am ready to put it out of its misery; should have done it long ago but the broken leader and the poor look of its spring leaves has finally made me decide to do the right thing.

So, now I need suggestions for what tree I should try in this spot. It is a tree for my front yard, western exposure, needs to be able to tolerate heat, full Colorado sun, alkaline clay soil, and if it has something besides yellow fall colour that would be a major plus! I am not looking for a large tree this time, either. Though the northern oak is so slow growing that it was unlikely to become a large tree in my lifetime, it did have that potential, and of course when I planted it I was young enough to think I would live forever. :rolleyes: Now that I am so much older, I would love to be able to plant a tree that might mature in the lifetime I have left to me, so a smaller tree would be ideal. :-D

Holly

Comments (21)