SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mashamcl

Zephirine, Abe, Crystal Fountain, Elle

mashamcl
14 years ago

The first bloom of Zephirine Drouhin. Not the cleanest rose, but the fragrance is wonderful!

{{gwi:1223099}}

My Abraham Darby has been really healthy even though the air circulation is less than ideal, hemmed in as he is by broccoli :-).

{{gwi:1223100}}

First bloom on "Crystal Fountain" clematis. It's new to me this year, I hope it will go well with Mme. Caroline Testout.

{{gwi:1223101}}

Elle. I moved her into a sunnier spot and she's given me a much better spring flush.

{{gwi:1223103}}

Masha

Comments (7)

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Masha, have you grown both Elle and Tiffany and if so, how would you compare the two ?

Kathy in Napa

• organicgardendreams
    14 years ago

Masha, very nice photos, again!

I love, love, love Zephirine Drouhin. Her fragrance is just wonderful. The first year this rose had very strong problems with mildew in my yard, very little amount of flowers and almost no repeat in the fall. I wanted to shovel prune her in the winter, but just didn't get to her. This spring her foliage is completely clean, even though other roses of mine have already PM and she has a lot more buds than last year. I look so much forward to the first fully open bloom and of course the fragrance. I am so glad that I didn't kill her and will see how she is doing this year.
    I am curious how your experience is with her. Would you like to share a little bit more?

Your Abraham Darby is so beautiful. The flower shape and color is extraordinary and I am sure he has a good scent! It is amazing that he is really healthy for you. In my old garden in the Bay Area he was a rust magnet and therefore I didn't get him again, here.

Crystal Fountain is a very pretty clematis. I think the color and form will go very well with Mme Caroline Testout.

Thanks for giving me my rose fix, tonight. I still have only three roses blooming. It was unusual cold and windy the last days, but from tomorrow on things are supposed to get better and I am sure the roses are just waiting to explode!

• BecR
    14 years ago

Lovely photos of some gorgeous roses! Love the clemmie too--- it will be beautiful paired with the pale pink Mme!! Hope you will post some pix when they bloom together. Cheers :D Becky

• mashamcl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for your comments.

Kathy, I don't grow Tiffany. There is not that much to say about Elle either because until this year she wasn't just in shade but in a pot too and she hated it. This year, in sun and in the ground, she is feeling much better. The only thing I can say at this point is lots of bloom and completely clean in all day sun. The fragrance is not very strong to me, but definitely present, the blooms last about a week (but the weather has been cool).

Organic, I keep expecting rust to show up on my AD but it hasn't so far. It is in all day hot sun with overhead irrigation. The fragrance is great, and I love the huge blooms.
    My Zeffy has not been a star performer. Basically a once bloomer, I get a great spring flush, then maybe three more flowers in the summer, and nothing in the fall. She is not in full sun (early morning deep shade, late morning sun, mind-afternoon filtered shade, afternoon sun). She mildewed badly last year, and is covered with rust this year.:-(. Mine is on a trellis against a fence. She hasn't lost any leaves though, which is good enough for me. I wonder why yours is so clean...

Thank you, becky.

Masha

• organicgardendreams
    14 years ago

Masha, your Zephirine Drouhin shows basically the same flowering habits that mine does, interesting! I have her also in a spot where she gets full sun only part of the day (late afternoon), the other time she is in dappled shade. As I said, she had PM badly last year, but I don't remember any rust.

This afternoon I thoroughly inspected her and took a photo of one cane: her foliage is really clean. I just hope she stays that way! I don't know why she looks really good so far this year, the only thing, that I can say is that she grows in a location with good air circulation. We live on a hill and there is almost always a breeze! But last year she was in the same spot! Maybe the reason is, that she is in her second year, so she is a little bit more mature and has overcome her childhood diseases?

See her foliage for yourself!
    {{gwi:1223105}}

• zeffyrose
    14 years ago

Great picture of Zeffy--

Zeffy blooms early for me and with that marvelous fragrance I can forgive her for all her faults.

Florence

• mashamcl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, organic, what a rose! I am happy it is clean for you, you are doing something right :-).

Florence, I totally agree.

Masha

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner