SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
habitat_gardener

diseased canes in neighbor's garden

habitat_gardener
19 years ago

My neighbor has asked for help editing her large collection of hybrid teas (maybe 250 or so). I looked at them the other day and noticed quite a few had been so poorly pruned that the centers of large stems were quite rotted. Some can be pruned below the rot; several have rot at the base. (I haven't kept any eye on what bloomed well; I've stayed away from her garden the past year because she has had her mow & blow crew spray poisons. They seem to have little horticultural knowledge and to my eye the bushes look poorly pruned overall, so there's not much to work with.)

So I'm wondering if, once the rot starts in the main canes, there is any reason at all to keep the bushes going. In previous years I noticed that the old, gnarly bushes tended to be the first to get mildew and rust (and then spread it to the rest of the garden).

Second question: I've been wondering if I should try to persuade her to pay me to look after the roses organically. But first I'd like to come up with an intelligent estimate of the time required. And I'm wondering, those of you who have a garden of similar size in a similar climate, how much time do you spend each week or each month, aside from deadheading? My neighbor does most of the deadheading herself, and she grows them mainly for cut flowers for herself, and also has a garden party once a year or so. The garden area has maybe an inch of mulch, if that. I'd like to see a few inches, and lots of compost.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting