SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plantslayer

Growing peppers with reflected light outdoors

plantslayer
13 years ago

Hello Everyone,

This year I grew some tomatoes in my back yard. They didn't get quite enough sunlight, so I found a mylar "emergency blanket" (it's a plastic sheet that is as reflective as a mirror) and hung it on the fence behind the tomato plants. They seemed to respond very well to this (hard to tell for sure though- it might have simply been so late in the season that they had to set fruit some time) but I did get some sunscalding on the fruit because the mylar was right next to the plants, touching it in some cases.

Anyway, I will be moving to an apartment with a shady balcony on the east side and bottom floor of my building. I was wondering- would it be possible to grow peppers on the balcony if I put up a mylar sheet in a position that reflects light back on the plants? Has anyone tried to do this?

I know the dope growers use mylar to grow stuff indoors, but I am not sure about using it outdoors, opinions on GW and elsewhere seem to be varied- some say it burns plants and gives inferior light, others say there's no reason it should not work.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations