SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robin_d

Mystery Red Climber

robin_d
17 years ago

Do you recognize this rose?

{{gwi:1217558}}

I obtained this roses as a cutting many moons ago, in a trade with another rose junkie (alas, lost the records in a hard drive failure). It was supposed to be a white polyantha and was planted accordingly; imagine my chagrin when it first bloomed bright red, then proceeded to throw out extremely long thorny tentacles in all directions. Much whacking ensued, and it is finally moving to a location where it can be true to its nature - run rampant.

The blooms are, as you see, in good-sized clusters - the individual blooms are 1 1/2" - 2" across. The plant is very vigorous, with sturdy canes, healthy dark green foliage and clusters of cheerful, bright red, medium-sized blooms. The canes tend to grow somewhat horizontally, rather that straight up, and are long - I pruned one off last summer that was dang near 20' long. It's not fragrant, at least not notably as I don't recall any scent. I don't spray, at all, ever, and it will occasionally get some very light powdery mildew and/or blackspot (eastern exposure), which are quickly shrugged off. Once this rose got established, it has been just as healthy and vigorous as I could wish for in my garden. I would love to know its proper name - I call it "Bob". I hope it survives the impending transplant.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County