SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
legray_gw

grocery store mini on my birthday

legray
19 years ago

i got a grocery store mini for my birthday -- don't groan.

it's flourishing. it's actually a little freaky, it's flourishing so much. if it isn't an orchid or an african violet, and it blooms, i usually kill it. i've killed minis before. this little guy is growing so fast, it's put out several new *sets* of leaves in a matter of days. and it's forming new blossoms, and several of the blossoms that have formed before i got hold of it have opened.

is this type of aggressive growth normal? can i look forward to this thing growing inches in days, or do most minis tend to grow in spurts?

i'm keeping him in a nest of orchids, in a south facing window, on top of a door mirror. every morning before work, i mist the whole bunch with a weak solution of superthrive and orchid food, emphasize the word "weak". i've gotten a few oncidums to bloom there, and it experiences temperature drops nightly, so much so that i'm ready to move my warm loving orchids away from the window now.

it's remarkably charming to look at. and so healthy, with all that new growth and all those new buds. i've already bookmarked a few sites which i've seen linked to on this forum, hopefully it won't number among the tragicly short lived.

Comments (7)

Sponsored