SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ictus

my dwc habanaro grow... with leds... yellowing issues, help

Ictus
12 years ago

Hello! First time making a thread here.

I recently got some Habanaro plants off Amazon. In hindsight this was a terrible idea since they were apparently 95 days old in 2" pots, incredibly root bound and were shipped with aphids, whiteflies and a slug! Imagine having to survive a cage match with Tyson for three days. So the plants looked awful when they arrived, leaves all curled up etc.

About 12 days ago I transplanted from the 2" pots into DWC with hydroton.

{{gwi:1221400}}

{{gwi:1221401}}

The plant on the left came with 2 small peppers, the one on the right had one medium sized green one. It turned red a few days ago, but it happened in a matter of hours. I have since eaten that pepper :D It was very hot and pretty tasty, but not as good as the organic habs from Whole Foods. I'm thinking maybe transplant stress made the pepper mature faster?

I am using the Lucas Formula, meaning General Hydro, only the Bloom and Micro parts. When I first did the transplant I did about 2/3 strength (6ml micro, 12ml bloom). I am using filtered tap water, which has a ppm of 120 (EC of ~0.24).

My first Reservoir was around 1.6 EC. (800ppm using 0.5 hanna conversion factor).

pH has been pretty stable at 5.75. After a day or so it will raise to 5.8 then I add a few drops of ph down.

For a few days after the initial transplant, all leaves drooped, and the largest ones on bottom fell off. In the days after, the leaves perked back up, lots of new root growth, but there is still a yellow tint that is spreading on larger leaves (can kinda see in the 2nd photo but its gotten a tad worse now).

I did a res change 2 days ago and increased to around 2.1 EC which is like 85% I think. I also added a tiny capful of CalMag thinking maybe Mg deficiency (but thats unlikely in hydro, even in low concetrations, right?).

Well today the larger leaves look a bit worse, like the yellowness is spreading from the edges of the leaves inwards.

I have the 2 plants in a 6gal res under a DIY LED fixture that is dimmable. I use a PAR meter and I started them at ~400 PAR and increased to ~1000 after a week, but am thinking maybe too much so pulled it back to 600 last night. Sunlight is 2000-2200 PAR.

I am running waterlevel about 1-1.5" below the bottom of net pots.

Do you guys think my Habs could be getting nutrient burn from too much Lucas formula? Should I go back to half strength or less for a while? Or could it be overwatering? I have lots of bubbles in the res, and when I lift up the net pots, they seem to be holding a ton of water that will leak out. Maybe lower water level so the roots are less saturated?

It's odd because when I search yellowing leaves, people usually point to N or Mg Defeciency which as I pondered above, I think is unlikely in hydro.

My temps are ranging from 84-74.

Roots. Whitest ones are new growth

{{gwi:1221403}}

Res with pH probe (that is until I broke the glass on my probe last night :( )

{{gwi:1221405}}

My random assortment of LEDs. There 3 channels. 6 cree XPG's are on a non-dimmable 24w xitanium driver. Then There's a mix of XRE Coolwhite and RoyalBlue on a Dimmable Meanwell 60-48D, and another leg of WarmWhite XMLs and Red XPE's and Rebels on another dimmable Meanwell 60-48D.

{{gwi:1221407}}

Pulley system to raise the lights and safety harness to help aid installation/removal of light:

{{gwi:1221409}}

The black box on the left contains all the LED electronics and dimming potentiometers.

What do you guys think would be the best course of action?

Comments (27)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath