SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gnabonnand

Gruss - MDC - Pacific Serenade - Clematis

gnabonnand
15 years ago

Some blooms from this morning's coffee stroll through the garden.

Randy

Gruss an Aachen (the Original Gruss). Sometimes even Pink Gruss has trouble keeping up with this Momma rose. This rose gets better every year, and this is at least its sixth year in my garden. This morning Gruss is covered in large, plump blooms ... it seems to be saying "Eat your heart out Souvenir de la Malmaison!"

{{gwi:260495}}

Mrs Dudley Cross. First bloom of season on this Old Garden Rose, which was first introduced 102 years ago in England. This time of year, my specimen is always pure cream in color & crammed full of petals ... no yellow tones and no pink highlights. Those colorations come later in the season when the sun is much more intense.

'Pacific Serenade', a completely thornless, fragrant miniature rose, & 'H.F. Young' clematis.

{{gwi:240491}}

Comments (6)

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    15 years ago

You have some nice pictures there. The shot with the yellow mini with the blue clematis against the red brick wall with the green foliage is quite interesting as to how it all works. The clematis is rather striking. I like it.

• organicgardendreams
    15 years ago

Hi Randy, your morning stroll through your garden must have been really fun for you, today. Thanks for "taking us with you" by sharing the lovely photos!

Gruss an Aachen is incredible pretty and Mrs. Dudley Cross is such a beauty, too!

Your Clematis H.F. Young gets better and better with every photo you take of it! If I can grow clematis in my garden, this is the next one that I will get. This year I am testing "my grounds" for clematis with only one variety called 'Ramona' So far it is still in a pot and not doing much, yet, but I got it as a bare root, so it is no wonder.

I have to admit that I am not a huge fan of the color yellow, at least not in my own yard ;-), but Pacific Serenade looks awesome together with H.F. Young!

• gnabonnand
    Original Author
    15 years ago

the_bustopher, to my surprise, I am finding that clematis are not so difficult to grow after all. And they are so well-behaved. sure. Destined to become one of my favorite perennials, I think.

OGD, I planted H.F. Young last fall, and it has taken off very well in this, its first spring. I'm really pleased with it, and may have to get an additional one.
    I've always been cautious about yellow roses, because I always figured you wouldn't be able to tell the yellow blooms from the yellow rose leaves. My yellow 'Rise-N-Shine' is a good rose, very tough and bushy, but it sometimes gets yellow leaves that blend in a little too well with its small blooms.
    But 'Pacific Serenade' is irresistable to me. It has larger blooms than 'Rise-N-Shine' and it has some fragrance. And 'Pacific Serenade' is just so smooth to the touch ... I don't know how the hybridizer did that, but I showed my appreciation with my wallet, since I bought three of this rose.

Randy

• organicgardendreams
    15 years ago

Randy, it is good to know that H. F. Young has taken of for you so quickly. You always hear that clematis take three years to really come into their full glory.

"I always figured you wouldn't be able to tell the yellow blooms from the yellow rose leaves" - you have a really nice sense of humor, and you are also very good in selling yellow roses ;-)! I find it rather unusual that you mentioned that Pacific Serenade "is smooth to the touch". I assume, that most people, me included, wouldn't even notice something like that.

• gnabonnand
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OGD, my other clematis, 'Jackmani', did take 3 years to amount to anything. But now it's excellent.

I've been stuck with enough rose thorns over the years to really take notice of a rose whose intentions are not to maul me :-)

Randy

• katefisher
    15 years ago

Oh my. Just adore that Gruss an Aachen. I can't wait for mine to grow up and be like yours Randy. Thanks for all those lovely pictures. I especially enjoyed the clematis also.

Kate

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH