SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
t_bob

--chipotle wood for north westeners--

t-bob
14 years ago

i know the traditional wood for smoking jals into chipotles is pecan wood....and i've used pecan the last two falls when i made chipotle, but i live in maritime washington and pecan doesn't grow here. i had brought the pecan from texas. i was wondering if anyone in my area(PNW) had smaoked jals into chipotle and if so what wood they used and how they turned out. i do have some mesquite i brought from texas, but from what i've read it makes any oily product. any help would be appreciated. i'm hoping to fire up in the next 3 or 4 weeks if the peppers ripen up. enough time to refine/build a different smoking system so i can smoke nice and cool. i'll post some pics once the fire is lit and smoldering. thanks for any info from anyone----texas bob

Comment (1)

• the_pepper_guy
    14 years ago

I don't smoke my jals, but I do roast them. I don't know if it is the same, but I like to take some apple wood and soak them in water then add them to the open fire. Give the peppers a great roasted flavor. I would think using apple or cherry in the smoker would be some what the same. Jus my 2 cents.

t-bob...to answer your question on another issue, the cage of my roaster is made of steel mesh guard made for covering your gutters on your house. It comes in I believe a 3'x6' section and was around 8 dollars.

BTW...the new video is up.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Pepper Guy's Blog

Sponsored