SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
florian_gw

Plumeria cutting already rotting while drying

Florian
10 years ago

I returned with 3 cuttings from Thailand two weeks ago and after making the cut, the cuttings have been exposed to fresh air only. Yesterday I checked the cuttings that still wait to be planted and recognized that the stem has already been rotten.

When looking at the cutting it seems as if it has been dried out at the very end, shriveled and contracting towards the middle of the stem. This contraction and shriveling has led to a tear/crack, so that the tissue like inner of the stem was not covered by the dried layer anymore.

When looking on images of cuttings on the internet it seems as if the cuts are almost flat with no tears, protecting the stem from rotting.

I removed parts of it so that only white and healthy looking parts were left. No I wonder what I can do to let the cutting dry without building tears/cracks.

- Should I put them on a heating or will this dry out the stem too quick? Will covering the cutting (without the cut itself) with a moist towel prevent the shriveling while enabling the cut to dry in "perfect" condition?

- Should I seal the cut somehow?
- Should I try to root without drying? What rooting method would then be the best?
- Should I try with some fungicide? Cinnamon? Coal? Chemics?

I hope you get the point as my english really isn't that good.

Lots of thanks to anyone who can give advice.

Comments (13)